Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always a fear I have. Though the expansion is on its way, I'm curious if anyone has found any of the new Villains to be so powerful that the original 4 (5 if including the Dryad) look like... well... whimps by comparison. Is this true? I've been hearing how hard the expansion has made the game and I'd like to know what the deal is if I could.

Also, have any of the new Heroes made some of the originals lacking and less appealing? Or is every hero balanced, offering something unqiue, and equal in their power level compared to everyone else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rathman
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've been playing with Something Wicked since my girlfriend bought it for my birthday a few days ago. I love it. While the new heroes and villains do add a lot to the game, I don't know about obsoleting anything.

On the hero side, the only one I haven't played yet is Eliza, so I can't speak to her abilities at all. But Brother Marcus is very good, especially if you can keep him loaded up on Investigation to cancel Mystery cards. Captain Hawkins is tons of fun, but pretty one-dimensional, and again needs lots of Investigation (though his abilities somewhat fuel themselves). Valeria has a couple strong abilities along with decent all-around base stats, but her drawback (no guns or holy items) is pretty significant.

For the villains, I haven't played The Bog Fiend, so again I can't help there. The Unspeakable Horror makes life pretty rough before the showdown and has the highest stats (8/8), but isn't too tough once there (he doesn't really receive additional boosts and even has an ability that helps heroes fighting him). I most recently defeated the Banshee, who actually isn't too difficult if you can heal/prevent wounds to yourself, because she has no way of doing so herself. The Gargoyle has some awesome minions (always moving around the board), but doesn't have much offense at all.

Briefly flipping through the old villains, The Unspeakable Horror one-ups The Scarecrow a little, since they both have an ability that can help heroes fighting them, but the Horror's abilities before the showdown are slightly more potent, and the Scarecrow has to be fought with the shadow track in Stage 4 or 5 to match his 8/8 stats. The Spectral Horseman is one-upped slightly by The Banshee. They both have the Spectre ability and gain additional +X wounds with their other abilities, but while the Horseman focuses on his Relentless Charge, the Banshee is a little more fearsome in combat (7/4 + additional wound markers to the Horseman's 5/6 + wounds).

The Werewolf's Bestial Speed not to mention Savage nature (which, with the new card that gives villains' fight dice +1, makes him only miss on a 1 or 2!) is still unmatched as is The Vampire's wound prevention and Vampiric Bite (drawing additional elders to his cause).

Looking at the heroes, Karl's Veteran ability still makes him the best at combat from the beginning; Katarina's Deadly has no comparison; Inspector Cooke's Detective still lets him gather Investigation the fastest (which some of the new heroes could use); Heinrich's Resourceful ability is unparalleled as is Isabella's Manipulation; Anne Marie still gets crazy with a few books (and now has even more to pick up!); Thomas can move between the boards the easiest thanks to Traveler; and Victor's Flair for the Dramatic still makes him a more of a powerhouse the longer the game goes on.

So I don't think any of the new stuff obsoletes the old, just explores new areas of gameplay that make for even more original experiences. The heroes do get more complex (all of them having 2 or 3 abilities), but the original heroes' abilities are still relevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet. Thanks for the reply Jake. Its assured me very well. I look forward to seeing what I'll be getting when my box of stuff arrives :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I haven't owned the game that long, but so far my score card is....

Werewolf....completely wiped out a co-op party of three (Katarina, Scarlett Shadow, and the Captain), KO'ing them all in one showdown round for a Villain win.

Spectral Horseman....played against two heroes (Brother Marcus and the Inspector) in co-op, drove the Shadow Track into darkness for a Villain win.

Banshee....was soundly beaten by a co-op party of three heroes (Isabella, the Drifter, and Karl)

Current game is the Schoolteacher, the Playwright, and Lucy in a co-op battle to defeat the Gargoyle. Too early to tell who's ahead. We pick random heroes and villains, but since the game is brand new to us we remove previously played characters from the random draw pile until we get through everyone

I'm eager to fight the Bog Fiend and the Dryad and the Necromancer, although I think its ridiculous that the Necromancer didn't include a simple minion chart. Also the Dryad should have included a proper card and chart in Something Wicked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Turner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a solo win against the Horseman (Basic), a solo loss against the Scarecrow (Advanced), a two-character co-op (solo) win against the Scarecrow (Adv), a four-player co-op win against the Vampire (Basic), and a four-player co-op win against the Werewolf (Adv.).

The only ones that gave me/us any trouble was the Scarecrow. The 4-player co-op games were almost embarrassingly easy.

I look forward to tougher Villains!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've heard 4-player co-op is too easy, so we don't plan on attempting it anytime soon.

We didn't bother with the basic game and went right to advanced....I wish the rulebook had been set up to involve less page-flipping for folks that are fairly on top of boardgaming. My main confusions with the game involve things that aren't stated in the rules or issues of timing that aren't expanded upon outside of FAQs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jcb231 wrote:

Werewolf....completely wiped out a co-op party of three (Katarina, Scarlett Shadow, and the Captain), KO'ing them all in one showdown round for a Villain win.

Spectral Horseman....played against two heroes (Brother Marcus and the Inspector) in co-op, drove the Shadow Track into darkness for a Villain win.

Banshee....was soundly beaten by a co-op party of three heroes (Isabella, the Drifter, and Karl)

Current game is the Schoolteacher, the Playwright, and Lucy in a co-op battle to defeat the Gargoyle. Too early to tell who's ahead. We pick random heroes and villains, but since the game is brand new to us we remove previously played characters from the random draw pile until we get through everyone

I'm eager to fight the Bog Fiend and the Dryad and the Necromancer, although I think its ridiculous that the Necromancer didn't include a simple minion chart. Also the Dryad should have included a proper card and chart in Something Wicked.

Well the Gargoyle got crushed by the Schoolteacher. The Playwright and Lucy were in the fight but despite an abundance of weapons and gear they got beat down rapidly. The Schoolteacher, on the other hand, came armed with all the books she could carry, and smacked that Gargoyle's stone smirk right off his face.

The new fight (and current game) is the blind girl and the witch hunter versus the Bog Fiend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jcb231 wrote:
jcb231 wrote:

Well the Gargoyle got crushed by the Schoolteacher. The Playwright and Lucy were in the fight but despite an abundance of weapons and gear they got beat down rapidly. The Schoolteacher, on the other hand, came armed with all the books she could carry, and smacked that Gargoyle's stone smirk right off his face.

The new fight (and current game) is the blind girl and the witch hunter versus the Bog Fiend.

Okay....blind girl and witch hunter got their butts handed to them by the Bog Fiend and both died during a particularly brutal mystery round, not even in a showdown!

Next up was the Vampire, versus Benjamin Franklin, the Inspector, and the Vampiress. Terrible Mystery card draws rushed the Shadow Track towards darkness faster than I've seen in any of my games so far. The heroes weren't prepared and made a desperate showdown attempt that resulted in failure. In th very next mystery round the villain forced the town into darkness.

Currently we're battling the Courier, Captain, and Karl against the Scarecrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.