Monopoly: The Mega Edition» Forums » Variants

Subject: Meta Monopoly rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Florian-Prescott
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So...this is just an idea, but what if a monopoly game could be designed to reflect the dynamics of the housing market in an ever-changing economic climate? To create such a variant is the mission statement of meta-monopoly. The Mega Edition of Monopoly to me seems the best place to start.

I'm still at the brainstorming stage, no actual rules or anything formulated yet, just ideas of what to aim for.

Some thoughts:

I'd like for the banker to have a slightly larger part, such as the ability to provide loans beyond what can be obtained via mortgages, allow for investments by other players, and have the ability to adjust interest rates. The bank would also no longer have an infinite supply of money, and would have the ability to collapse, upon which certain elements of the game are reset, and the bank is refreshed. These mechanics would probably mean the bank/auctioneer would need to have a dedicated player even for small games.

Inflation, and the effects of supply and demand in the real estate market should be modelled (in greatly simplified terms, of course) in the game.

So a more complex banking system and a changing environment for the players sums up the, might I say, rather ambitious concept of Meta-Monopoly. I'll work my way towards figuring out what some rules might look like for this game. Any input is welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pammy Gamemaker
msg tools
Have you tried the "Stock Market" expansion pack. It incorperates the investment portion of what you are talking about. You can find information at http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9466/monopoly-stock-excha.... YOu can download the "Stock Market" piece you print out and put over Free Parking. You also download and print out the stocks and rules. This might be a good place to start and give you some ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.