Popular Tags: [View All]
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Titan Dice in Kickstarter - September 19th!
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: What influences your decisions when purchasing card games?
As a newbie to the gaming industry, I'm trying to get a feel for what people like to play and what drives purchases. This survey focuses primarily on card games. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
1. What types of games do you purchase most often? (according to component type)
Board - traditional type pieces with board, bits and cards
Cards - Cards only
Abstract - non-traditional game pieces (e.g. pieces used instead of a board or used to create a board)
Book - (e.g. RPG)
Other
2. How often do you purchase games where cards (including the box and rules) are the only component?
This is the only type of game I purchase.
This is what I most often purchase.
I purchase cards-only games about as often as any other type of game.
Every once in a while
Never
3. When purchasing card games, which factors influence your decision. Check all that apply.
Familiarity (e.g. UNO, Bridge)
Known publisher/designer
Price
Number of cards (LOTS!)
Number of cards (Few - keep it simple)
Suggested age (children)
Suggested age (7+)
Suggested age (teen+)
Theme
Artwork/graphics
Mechanics
Number of players (2)
Number of players (3-4)
Number of players (more than 4)
Solitaire option
Packaging/portability
Expansions/extensions available
Rarity (want to try something new)
4. How much research to you do before purchasing a card game?
The front cover looks cool, I'll take it.
I read the back.
I read the rules.
I heard this is a good game.
I read a review that sounded good.
I read several reviews and/or sessions.
I played it once and it was fun.
I've played it several times and am finally going to buy it.
Other
5. What is the most you would pay for a card game, assuming it interested you? (65-75 cards)
I don't generally purchase card games.
I might buy one at the dollar store.
$5
$10
$15
$20
Other
6. Assuming you owned a 2-player card game and a 3-4 player extension (about 50 cards) was released. How much would you pay for the extension?
Not interested
Less than $5
$5
$7
$10
$15
$20
Other
7. Where do you purchase card games from most often?
I don't purchase card games.
Local game store
"Big Box" store (e.g. Wal-Mart, Target)
Online store that sells other merchandise (e.g. Amazon.com)
Online store that sells mostly or only games
Online auction
Directly from the publisher
Other
      139 answers
Poll created by meskue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reviews are good. Geekbuddy comments are better.

Good luck with your publishing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
Reviews are good. Geekbuddy comments are better.

Good luck with your publishing!

Great feedback, thanks Tommy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CassSoren
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I put "other" for the two price questions. The price I'm willing to pay depends heavily on how the game plays and how much replay I think it has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very interested in understanding why so many people said they purchase games from an online retailer, but so few from the publisher.

Is this a matter of preference or just availability?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Worthington wrote:
I am very interested in understanding why so many people said they purchase games from an online retailer, but so few from the publisher.

Card games make great "filler" when ordering other stuff online - especially when you are trying to reach a free shipping price point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CSoren wrote:
I put "other" for the two price questions. The price I'm willing to pay depends heavily on how the game plays and how much replay I think it has.

Makes sense, good point...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newuser wrote:
T Worthington wrote:

Card games make great "filler" when ordering other stuff online - especially when you are trying to reach a free shipping price point.

Also a great point, I didn't think of that. (Though, this is assuming the card game is between $5-10 I would think. Otherwise, if you get closer to the shipping cost it may not be worth it unless it was a card game you were planning or purchasing anyway.)

This also makes sense because most of the card games I've seen are treated as filler games or games to get the game night started. Saboteur is an example of this for our game group as we've been starting each game night with it for a while now (and it still doesn't get old).

Thanks to everyone for participating in the poll and for the great feedback, this has been very helpful. If you have any more feedback, feel free to share!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:

The poll said "most often" and allowed only one answer. I buy games (of all kinds) from a variety of sources: FLGS, online, dealer tables at cons, direct from publisher, etc. I have nothing against any of these sources. But I probably buy the most from my FLGS.

There's a card game we'd love to buy, right now, and we'd be happy to get it directly from the publisher. But it's sold out (everywhere!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
CSoren wrote:

Another huge factor: quality of components. If the cards have a very nice finish and are very durable, I'll pay more than if they're flimsy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes sense, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy W
United States
Wheatfield
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One point I didn't see on your poll but currently factors heavily into my typical card game purchases is the time the game takes to play.

I certainly could be in the minority on this point, but it's based on my situation. I tend to look at card games with an emphasis on my ability to play them at work over lunch. If it can't be played in about 20 minutes, I'll never get it to the table.

So for me, card games tend to be used to fill a niche, and are subject to stricter constraints than a potential boardgame purchase.

Best of luck on your data collection!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dragontrainer wrote:
One point I didn't see on your poll but currently factors heavily into my typical card game purchases is the time the game takes to play.

I certainly could be in the minority on this point, but it's based on my situation. I tend to look at card games with an emphasis on my ability to play them at work over lunch. If it can't be played in about 20 minutes, I'll never get it to the table.

So for me, card games tend to be used to fill a niche, and are subject to stricter constraints than a potential boardgame purchase.

Best of luck on your data collection!

I knew I forgot something, thanks for mentioning that! I may have assumed (and I know what happens when I "assume") that card games are supposed to be "light" and "short," but then there are games like Race For The Galaxy which go a little beyond UNO-type games.

However, the "portability" factor that was mentioned in one of the questions may be somewhat related to what you are looking for. Personally, if I'm going to play a game at lunch or at a coffee shop, I want it to fit in my pocket (tuckboxes work better than boardgame style boxes) and the amount of real estate the game takes up on the table is a factor. These factors usually (but not always) have an effect on the amount of time the game takes and they end up being on the shorter side.

Thanks for the input! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CassSoren
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
meskue wrote:
However, the "portability" factor that was mentioned in one of the questions may be somewhat related to what you are looking for. Personally, if I'm going to play a game at lunch or at a coffee shop, I want it to fit in my pocket (tuckboxes work better than boardgame style boxes) and the amount of real estate the game takes up on the table is a factor. These factors usually (but not always) have an effect on the amount of time the game takes and they end up being on the shorter side.

On the other hand, there are board games that take up less table real estate than some card games. If you're talking about playing while eating, I shy away from card games while eating. Cards give my hands too much to do - I spend too much time putting my cards down to eat, and more time wiping my hands to avoid soiling the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:

Price and/or buying multiple games.

Case in point. Arctic Scavengers was available from the publisher's site, but it wasn't discounted like it would've been from a retailer. This is only important because I have yet to see the game for myself, and not even a video review. If I had done so I would've been more likely to buy it from the publisher if I liked what I saw. If it was available for a discount I would've been more likely to impulse-buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.