Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there's a lot of talk about how great Warhammer Quest is, and even debates about which is better, Descent Road to Legend or Warhammer Quest. I have both of those, but I also have a game called Heroes Quest.

I didn't realize that there was another version, put out between Warhammer quest and Heroquest which was called Advanced Heroquest which had many of the same principles as Warhammer quest...but from the sounds of it it seems Advanced Heroquest had an advancement system closer to Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay?

It would seem that this system could be a better advancement system in a boardgame environment, and in some ways more akin to the Descent system and Runebound system of increasing stats themselves a bit at a time.

However it DOES appear to be MUCH HARDER to find than WHQ, HQ, or just about any of the other types of games in this type of boardgame.

It sounds like it could actually be a Tactical RP game grail...so...

Why aren't there that many discussions about AHQ in comparisons to WHQ?

How does AHQ compare to Descent:RtL, WHQ, and HQ?

Why isn't this up there with other apparant grail games like WHQ or did I miss something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I have them all.

AHQ is excellent, but very limited in scenarios and base set flexibility.

It is the most hardcore of the games you mention in terms of story, how tough it is and general play. Quest is more streamlined and probably an overall improvement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For someone with all of them, it does provide a lot of flexibility with rules for a BIG variety of figures. S'the reason I bought it originally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daric Morris
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't think it's worth seeking out. If you can find a complete copy with all the figures at a decent price, maybe. But the rules really didn't do it for me. Honestly, my group enjoyed basic Heroquest much more, even if it was aimed at kids. And basic Heroquest was just mediocre. More rules and options does not equal more fun.

I think the complexity of Advanced Heroquest was just about right but it wasn't fun to play. No strategy or options, just plunk down your figures and watch the dice roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I do enjoy WHQ and Descent RTL, which is why I was curious about this, but it doesn't seem all that available. What about the options and rules made it less fun than WHQ?

In WHQ you have the exploration rules, are they different in AHQ.

You also have the creatures that you just plunk down in WHQ...what differences in creature placement were there in AHQ. Someone mentioned that there wasn't the flexibility in AHQ. Was one allowed to create their own dungeons ala the original Heroquest, however they wanted?

Even better, I thought it had some sort of random dungeon element, but did AHQ have a random dungeon element in any way similar to WHQ?

What was the campaign mode like?

Does it have any similarities to Descent RtL which really isn't as free form in the dungeon aspect as WHQ, but probably has better overland encounters and monster placement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, no responses, in hopes for one I'm going to give it a bump seeing that I really like these types of games (trying to see if AHQ should be a game I would get and enjoy or if it has nothing to offer for me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Skeletor's reply was full of awesome, so let me add two things:

* AHQ came with a "monster manual" of sorts, and had rules to let you use your HQ miniatures. While AHQ's selection of miniatures was paltry, I think you have enough mini's to play AHQ.

* AHQ had some expansions. They're even harder to get. AHQ also had some substantial game material published in White Dwarf.

Personally, I liked AHQ because you first made a "Weapon Skill vs. Weapon Skill" roll, *then* a "Toughness" roll. That is, if you were good with a blade, you didn't have to rely on armor as much. That's obviously different from most game systems (eg. AD&D at the time) where your weapon skill was your ability to hit, not defend.

Dunno. I'd rather wait for a Borders 40% off coupon then buy the D&D core set of books, the Starter Set (for the tokens and tiles), and the first tile set...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been an interesting thread. We played HeroQuest to death in the early 1990's and really had a lot of fun with it - I still have my copy. So, naturally, when we decided we wanted more, I went out and bought Advanced Heroquest, figuring it would be more of the same goodness, though possibly a bit more, well, advanced. Instead, we were sort of overwhelmed as it appeared quite a bit more complex, and so it didn't get played. I still have it, completely unpunched, sitting on my game shelf. Based on this thread, I think I might want to go back and dust it off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Nellis
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely don't know enough to intelligently add to this conversation, but hell, it's the internet!

FFG is releasing a new set of campaign rules for Descent. I'm curious how they stack up to the old rules, and the systems mentioned here.

Descent: The Sea of Blood

Also, D&D 4th Edition Core Rulebook Collection, although packaged as a RPG, is really a boardgame when it comes to combat. I know several people who play it almost exclusively as a boardgame, and then sprinkle in the amount of roleplaying they really want to do, which is almost none. Hold on to your wallet though. I'm sure this would end up being the most expensive option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesomeness Guys! Thanks a Billion. I already have HQ, so it sounds as if I'd already have a great variety of monsters for this! Now all I have to do is hunt down a copy.

Once again, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
The "monster manual" was only like 24 monsters (mostly skaven) so it wasn't huge. But yes, all of the heroquest monsters were in there, as well as rules to use the HQ furniture! Forgot about that. So yes, AHQ was imporved if you had HQ.

I just yanked out my copy laugh and the first page of the "monster manual" is the skaven. Lessee... it's 40 monters, 16 of them skaven, some of the rest HQ monsters. You can proxy the HQ monsters for the rest of the monsters in this blatant GW miniatures catalog monster manual.

Two pretty darn nice supplements (?) are missing. In the base game, spells for only one school of magic are included, but I know there are other schools. Also, the base game doesn't include this expanded treasures article I have some sort of photocopy of. I don't know if this stuff was from White Dwarf issues, expansion sets, or both.

MrSkeletor wrote:
Actually Warhammer quest was similar, also requiring a WS to WS hit and a toughness roll. However while WHQ used D6 AHQ used D12. AHQ also had critical hits and stuff.

Sounds like even more reason to wait for WQ! I don't remember liking the AHQ critical hit rules. Regular weapons crit'ed on a 1 and 12 on a Weapons Skill roll. Larger weapon's crit'ed on a 1 and 2, and 11 and 12. A crit was a free attack.

IMO, It's not worth tracking down. See if you can find an "electronic copy" somewhere, and proxy your HQ and Descent miniatures and tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info. I have HQ already and WHQ as well, so it sounds like I already have figures for most of what they may need for AHQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmbmb
To my oppinion, playing the Gamemaster in HeroQuest was a dull and boring task.

They tried to fix this in Advanced HeroQuest by adding some dungeon counters. Nice try. But not perfect.

Allied HeroQuest (see Google) fixed that.

Descent does a great job by building up danger with those threat counters. And the spawnpoints rock too! Both these things are unexistent in HeroQuest and Advanced HeroQuest, but are included in Allied HeroQuest.

Warhammer Quest only added one new interesting thing: cards for random exploring of rooms and encounters with monsters etc.
WHQ was a nice game-idea for the guys from Fantasy Flight Games, and they upgraded this game to Descent. A very nice try. But too much flashy colors...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Godfrey'John sheridan
Australia
Mt Richon
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Heroquest and WHQ then try to find a copy of AHQ.
My gaming group still plays AHQ to this day we played WHQ when it came out and went back to AHQ and also it has solo rules as well.

So any questions about AHQ feel free to ask oh yea the crit hit system was only on a 12 for hand weapons and 11-12 for two handed weapons you fumbled on a roll of a 1 and 1-2 for two handed weapons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AHQ is definitely a role playing game much more than a board game.

The random dungeons were awesome because you never knew how long they were going to go. Far from being tedious it was great fun seeing your piece of graph paper get filled up with tons of corridors and rooms. That's something that hasn't been mentioned. One of the players had to be the mapper. This role was CRITICAL to the success of the party (and the game running smoothly). You could easily make a map that would take far more tiles than you actually had so you needed to have a map if you wanted to go back somewhere.

I found the flexibility of the system and its expandability to be huge plusses. I used my old chaos books (lost and the damned and slaves to darkness) to create a system where the characters could choose to or be forced to (through their actions and interactions with chaotic things) slide down the dark path towards becoming a chaos champion. The rules are in the file section.

Another guy has a WONDERFUL huge set of house rules for major campaigns using AHQ. Tons of rules for stuff outside the dungeons, city interaction and just a shitload of fantastic stuff.
It really turns it into a full blown rpg. One I would not be disappointed with if I picked it up off the shelf today.

I love this game.

You should love it too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Loblah
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Does anyone know where that "WONDERFUL huge set of house rules" for Adavanced Heroquest went after the file purge? Any help would be greatly appreciated...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Nellis
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was this the GW purge, or the Mr. Skeletor purge? If it's the latter I'm sure he can be easily found.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it was the GW purge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Lic
Mexico
MTY NL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nazhuret wrote:
No, it was the GW purge.

Anything left?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Somehow my Chaos Champions rules survived and are still up here for download.

I do have that massive bit of kit that is the custom campaign rules I can send out to people if you just geekmail me your email address.

As of this writing, I do have a couple of requests for such that I still need to take care of.

Matter of fact, I'll do so right now....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to update, I don't have that file anymore, I'm afraid.

But there are some good extensions of the role playing rules by others in the forums here.

Check out some of the more recent threads for some really good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Lic
Mexico
MTY NL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nazhuret wrote:
Just to update, I don't have that file anymore, I'm afraid

I still have the email with the attached file (AHQ2 V1.32) you kindly sent me some years ago. In case someone is still interested just PM me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.