flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DAY OF THE MACHINE

The Doctor is blue.

So many bad endings recently. Rose. Martha. Donna. heavy sigh

Some sight-seeing, that's the ticket.

How about 12005 in the heart of the Terran Empire, or as the Doctor terms it the New Roman Empire?

The New Roman Empire in its prime!

He's seen the empire in its collapse, of course -- long ago for him but still in these humans' far future.

But Earth? Again?! Why? Why always that same temporal nexus point? Oh.

EARTH 12005

TURN 1: EXPLORE
As always the blue police box is out of place when it appears wheezingly into existence.

The Doctor exits the TARDIS and quickly locks it, pocketing the key.

He appears to be in an undercity of some sort -- a less fashionable district, much less fashionable, actually. He likes it. The colors, the sounds, the street performers (both paid and otherwise),

Local customs could be called Roman Revival, but 'affectation' would be more apt. The Doctor looks around and sees many signs of destitution. He is filled with compassion for these people.

The Doctor walks the streets at night, observing. Not intervening. Moving on. Sight-seeing. Most illuminating.

He almost literally stumbles upon the slumped over body in this dark alley. A burly former gladiator who used to be known as, "Marcus Falco, Champion! But now no more. Now I am reduced to a beggar. I beg from slaves, how droll, don't you think?"

The Doctor is moved by this man's palpable sadness and sense of loss. He listens calmly to his story and pieces together a rather strange tale.

This society is based on slavery alright, but machines -- sentient robots -- are the slaves. Slowly over the decades robots and androids have been displacing human slaves (like gladiators). Now humans fulfill only certain specific roles.

So Marcus' livelihood is forbidden. Only robots may fight in the arenas -- by law. That is all Marcus knows, the arena. Some humans become obsolete. What is to become of him?

The Doctor is astonished at this man's reaction. To him freedom is slavery and vice versa! He tells him it will be alright and just talk, to just talk. And then it all comes out...

TURN 2: EXPLORE
Marcus Falco has found a good friend in the Doctor -- he is someone to stick close to, for safety's sake.

Marcus wants to share with his new-found friend the delights of the upper city, where all the citizens live. He hasn't been up there in a long time and his new friend looks like he's a citizen and has plenty of credit...

The Doctor innocently smiles when asked if he wants to go to the city.

Passing into the upper city turns out to be much easier than Marcus expected. Then again, the Doctor did get on well with the guardian...

Once in the glorious upper city, Marcus tries not to think of how hungry he is. To be so near to affluence and to be so destitute... It is a great hardship.

The Doctor, meanwhile, is entranced by all the fabulous architecture. "Dr. Seuss had his hand in this lot!"

After engaging in some mindless tourist activities, Marcus can take it no longer. He must eat!

He runs to a nearby castle, where he knows someone who will provide food. The Doctor follows.

At the gate of the castle, the Doctor is easily able to get the guards to allow him entry. It was his manner that convinced them. Sheer bluff, of course.

That is, until they meet Petronius, the Lord of this citadel. And then the Doctor decides that he must risk all and take the Lord into his confidence.

The Doctor tells him that there is some as yet unknown sword of Damocles overhanging everyone's heads. Petronius agrees and thinks that the Doctor can help. The Lord gives both Marcus and the Doctor complete freedom to go anywhere in the castle.

The Doctor quickly realizes that he and Marcus may stay here as long as they wish. Marcus is only concerned with locating a girl he once knew. Meg.

Lucky for him, she's still working her old job at the Patrician's Inn as a serving wench. They catch her on break.

Meg is delighted to see Marcus, still handsome after all these years. And his friend the Doctor, of course.

It's a pleasant little homecoming except that the Doctor ruins it by incessantly asking questions.

Finally it comes out that she's a soothsayer and can see into the future.

The Doctor replies, "Oh yeah? I'll show you yours if you'll show me mine!"

Meg descends into a deep trance in order to see 'that which is beyond'.

"What am I thinking about?" asks the Doctor.

"She'll always be world I can't find;
she'll always be whirled out of time.
She'll always hide behind a star,
although it's true she can't be far."

This pronouncement startles the Doctor. Meg could easily be referring to either Rose or Gallifrey... Either way, that's too near the mark. Before he has time to react, Meg grabs his face in the palms of her hands and proclaims:

"the colours of your eyes. Blue, green, brown, silver. Saturated with different personalities. Chameleon man."

Again, that's near enough to the truth that the Doctor is rather intrigued. Maybe Meg is telepathic after all. He asks her if she knows what's going wrong here. Her answer, although couched in poetry, indicates she does.

"I know of a catacomb, with flags that flew 50 years ago, so rest up for now and sleep. Time isn't safe again. Wasted thoughts that could have been, so we must revise our plan. Daylight. Daylight. Daylight won't find us here."

Shortly after this Meg comes out of her trance. In her ordinary state of mind now, she converses with Marcus and the Doctor while Marcus continues to eat.

Two very interesting bits of information catch the Doctor's attention.

First, Petronius is Lord of Entertainment for this province -- he runs the robot gladiatorial games. He's also in charge of robotic manufacturing and programming.

Second, and perhaps most surprisingly, Meg mentions how much Marcus looks like a regular guest of Petronius. He's a veritable twin to Sempronius the Geomancer who often visits to practice his art of feng shui or harmonious interior decorating. No wonder Petronius allowed the Doctor to enter his castle -- he had 'Sempronius' by his side.

After finishing up a sumptuous, if plebian, meal the Doctor and Marcus retire to their chambers for some well-earned rest.

(to be continued...)

link to DAY OF THE MACHINE part 2

============================

Doctor: Brains-11 Brawn-6 Bravery-9
Traits- Aware, Charisma, Engineering, History, Running, Science, Thief
At start LUCK = 4
David Tennant

Marcus: Brains-5 Brawn-7 Bravery-7
Traits- Bureaucrat, Marksman, Pilot, Running, Tracking -- Companion!

Meg the Wench (and Soothsayer): Brains-5 Brawn-4 Bravery-5
Traits- Charisma, Running, Screaming, Thief -- Ally

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A really interesting - and different - session report that really imbues the source material with character and imagination.

I'm interested to know how you met Meg though - where does she appear on the Encounter tables for New Rome 12005?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Taylor
United States
under surveillance
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meg was a Character Encounter (e203).

She provided a Plot Event, Luck, DM and an opportunity to Investigate next turn. Pretty handy -- that's why I made her a soothsayer as well.

Looking over the Character Encounters for 12005, I can't seem to find her anymore. Oops! Not sure how I made that mistake, but the best thing is just to go with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Maynard
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meg (e203) can be found through a character event while at the castle (e209) which is a location event listed under Earth - 12005. Did you get location as an encounter? That could explain it and your story exposition fits the castle description.
Great stuff and very enjoyable. Eagerly awaiting part 2 ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Taylor
United States
under surveillance
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You got it Greg. That's exactly what happened. Thanks for finding that for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah ha - great how this works isn't it?

The castle! Of course ()

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, I'd seen a very good explanation of WHY it's always Earth in the new Doctor Who series. Up to the Eighth Doctor (McGann), the Tardis was powered by a "spatiotemporal link" to the Eye of Harmony on Gallifrey. Gallifrey was destroyed by the new series, though, so the Tardis instead recharges at the temporal rift on Earth (which it did in both "Boom Town" and "Utopia" in the new series).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
FWIW, I'd seen a very good explanation of WHY it's always Earth in the new Doctor Who series. Up to the Eighth Doctor (McGann), the Tardis was powered by a "spatiotemporal link" to the Eye of Harmony on Gallifrey. Gallifrey was destroyed by the new series, though, so the Tardis instead recharges at the temporal rift on Earth (which it did in both "Boom Town" and "Utopia" in the new series).

That's a nice idea - wish I'd thought of it.

(Welcome to the Doctor Who game btw!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.