18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Campaign Wargame + Roleplaying? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
PD Gardner

Maryland
msg tools
OK let me first say I don't even think something like this exists but here goes.

I'm really looking for a game that is, at its core, a wargame but with strategy and roleplaying thrown in to the mix. By wargame I mean a group of 5-6 players can each play their own faction and a war map exists for them to fight over. Game of Thrones would be similar I guess.

For strategy each player would control their own kingdom/faction with resources they collect and build with as they see fit (bigger armies, cities, castles, forts, etc...) Also, the players would be able to perform diplomatic actions amongst themselves.

Finally, for roleplaying I'm talking about the game's world having a life of its own where the players also react to happenings in the game world (outside invaders, famine, orc invasion, etc...)

The game doesn't have to be fantasy based as a Shogun type game or a boardgame version of the Total War series would be good too. Is there anything like this?

Thanks a bunch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite what you're looking for, but Battlestations has a mix of wargaming, roleplaying, and a campaign. It's mainly done with a GM and players working co-operatively, but it can be played team vs team or player vs player as well. It has a lot of wargame elements (similar to Star Fleet Battles on the ship-to-ship scale, and similar to man-to-man tactical games on the smaller level), as well as RPG elements, with NPCs, upgrading stats and weapons, etc.

So yeah, not exactly what you're looking for (I'm not sure if such a game exists but it sounds cool), but Battlestations provides a boardgame / RPG hybrid that is, in my opinion, unmatched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Twilight Imperium III?

* It easily plays 5-6 players and is epic in scale.
* You control your own race for control of the galaxy with race powers.
* Collect resources and influence by capturing planets.
* Has politics.
* Hidden objectives.
* Resource management.
* Bribery.
* No outside influences (sorry).

Maus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These might work for you...

Swords & Sorcery, The Beastlord, Titan, The Warlord Game, Battlemist, Warangel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it, but doesn't this sound a bit like Civilization?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandion wrote:
OK let me first say I don't even think something like this exists but here goes.

I'm really looking for a game that is, at its core, a wargame but with strategy and roleplaying thrown in to the mix. By wargame I mean a group of 5-6 players can each play their own faction and a war map exists for them to fight over. Game of Thrones would be similar I guess.

For strategy each player would control their own kingdom/faction with resources they collect and build with as they see fit (bigger armies, cities, castles, forts, etc...) Also, the players would be able to perform diplomatic actions amongst themselves.

Finally, for roleplaying I'm talking about the game's world having a life of its own where the players also react to happenings in the game world (outside invaders, famine, orc invasion, etc...)

The game doesn't have to be fantasy based as a Shogun type game or a boardgame version of the Total War series would be good too. Is there anything like this?

Thanks a bunch!

Hmmm methinks it is time to get those creative juices flowing and earn yourself a designer badge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Royale is the closest I can think of. It's long out of print and light on the wargame part (no forts and such, but there are armies and fighting) but diplomacy is at the heart of the game and there's plenty of potential for roleplaying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vern Ryan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb

Game of Thrones is the closest I can think of. Really pretty close and a lot of role playing can come out while diplomacy is taking place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PD Gardner

Maryland
msg tools
Thanks for all the great suggestions! There are definitely some places to start. However, it looks like each game hits upon an aspect or two of what I'm looking for but nothing has the complete package. Twilight Imperium III and Swords and Sorcery are the closest it seems.

And yes I'd run the game as a GM. Hmmm maybe it is time to get to work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valenze
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Legacy of Kings

Divine Right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Schaub
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndersGabrielsson wrote:
Blood Royale is the closest I can think of. It's long out of print and light on the wargame part (no forts and such, but there are armies and fighting) but diplomacy is at the heart of the game and there's plenty of potential for roleplaying.

Isn't this up for reprint by FFG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Battleground: Kingdoms is a campaign setting for the "miniatures" of the Battleground system. Perhaps you could incorporate that into a role playing game of some sort?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Wasn't this the general idea behind Birthright or Birthright Campaign Setting?

The original Chivalry And Sorcery rules would cover such a thing very well, and I imagine Hârn would as well. Lot of work for the GM though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy13 wrote:
AndersGabrielsson wrote:

Isn't this up for reprint by FFG?

I've heard that mentioned before, but I can't find anything on their homepage. Their deal with GW makes it pretty likely, though. I would certainly buy a re-developed version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
There is this: Greyhawk: Wars http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2307 sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember having a lot of fun with Greyhawk Wars in Highschool. good fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Henderson
Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Empire by Warhorse Simulations fulfils most of your requirements. No orcs, though.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4818

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.