Popular Tags: [View All]
Shawn Woods
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is probably a simple question, but I cannot find it covered in the rules, in detail. How do you accurately determine range? Since a hex has 2 different widths (flat side to flat side is smaller than opposite vertices). Therefore, when shooting from D8 to G5 (for example), what would this range be? With my rough paper "ruler", I would estimate it as about 4-5 hexes (so I would use 5 as the range).

What is the generally accepted method of determining range?

Thanks and sorry for the simple question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
You just count hexes from one to the other. For you example from D8 to

D7 (Range 1)
E7 (Range 2)
F6 (Range 3)
F5 (Range 4)
G5 (Range 5)

so G5 is 5 hexes from D8. (There are other minimum paths you could take, but all will result in a range of 5 hexes.)

So, going back to your method, you don't use a paper ruler at all, you just count each hex.

If it helps, another way to visualize this - look a the concentric hex rings (hexagons) around a hex. Again, starting at D8:

The first ring (D7, C8, E8, C9, E9, D9) is at Range 1.
The next ring out (D6, C7, E7, B7, F7....) is at Range 2.

The fifth ring out (D3, E4, F4, G5, H5, I6....) is at Range 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Woods
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot. That saves quite a bit of trouble. You can tell that this the first hex-based wargame I ever played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Glad that helped. If you have any other questions...ask away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I was going to buy OverText but I didn't know what to say with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Shawn, just for future reference, determining range is covered under O27.2.2 Targeting Range on page 17 of the CC rulebook (or O20.2.2 on Page 12 of the CC:E rulebook - same rule in either case).

Richard's answer is easier to understand, but just in case you wanted the rulebook version as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Woods
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I had read that. It is well written, just that my interpretation of it was incorrect. When I read "counting the number of hexes from the firing piece to its target hex"... my mind interpreted between not from. Going off this and how LOS checks are made, I mixed the two together and came short of the correct idea.

Thanks again for the rules clarifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I was going to buy OverText but I didn't know what to say with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome. CC has a friendly group of players who answer questions QUICKLY around here. Can't find the answer you are looking for? Post here or on CSW and someone will get back to you in short order. (I just posted the rule numbers in case any new player was looking for the info, too.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Woods
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I am a little off here, but what does "contiguous" refer to in setup for Scenario B?

I have never used this word before. Checking the dictionary (dictionary.com), it says:
1. touching; in contact.
2. in close proximity without actually touching; near.
3. Sharing an edge or boundary; touching.
4. Connecting without a break

Some of these definitions are rather different. It says that the Japanese players must be on a contiguous trail hex.

a) Does this mean it has to be on a hex next to a trail hex, but not the trail itself (this is how I played)?
b) Does this means it has to be on a trail hex that connects to both the Allies and Japanese boundaries of the map (would fit definition 3 and 4)?
c) Does it mean it has to be on any trail hex (would also fit definition 1, but not 2)?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiannis Avramandis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the trail
each unit adjecent to at least one other
like a snake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.