Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Mehl
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the opportunity to play Yspahan last month at a local convention. As I was playing it I felt that this game could really scale well for 2 players. So I went on the geek and behold there was an official 2 player variant.

After some minor rule changes I felt the game scaled really well for 2. The game took about 30 minutes, which I felt went really smooth. There is a lot to do as far as building souks (shops), sending goods to the caravan, and generally doing the best you can do with each dice roll.

Constructing a building is no longer a extra action you can take with your turn. It is now a seperate action you take. So when you take a group of dice from one of the tower sections, for your turn you can choose to construct a building. Adds tightness to the game IMHO.

Caravans are pretty much the same. However; in a two player game you only use two camels on each row.

The game itself the components are good. I especially like the camel meeples. (Humpeeples) (Cameeples) shake It comes with a good amount of cubes. 25 in 4 colors. Red,green,yellow, and blue. You know your standard eurogame colors. 9 wooden white dice, and 3 yellow dice. Your yellow tylenol looking discs that act as gold, and a deck of cards.

After a few plays with 2 players I feel this is light, can be played in 30 minutes, and is highly enjoyable. It could also be used as a filler in order to get into your meatier games. Never really had a lot of down time in this game, probably due to it being dice based.

A good time overall. Highly encouraged

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mehl
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you enjoyed it. It's a great game for two. It's a great game for more also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Kuriata
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have a feeling, that a 2-player game might be much less competitive and aggressive than a 4-player one. Can you confirm it?

Or... on the other hand, it can be much more, because moves of one player are easier to predict. So - less luck factor.

I'm testing it on Yucata (with 4P), but I'm thinking of buying it for me&wife.

It seems, that with (I understand - unofficial) 2 player variant - it's easier to include the supervisor in your strategy, but on the other hand - the situation on the board is less "dense" - there are more shops available - and actions.

Can't decide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Parsons
United States
Alto
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two player Yspahan is a poor, luck riddled excuse for a "game".

Winning strategy is do nothing but take cards for the first round until you are able to build The Caravanserai (allowing you to take a card everytime a cube is sent to caravan). Then get 2 cubes onto Sack/barrel or Vase/barrel. Then just send cubes to the caravan. Every round puts two cubes on the caravan and two cards in your hand. More than likely you have enough camels from taking cards and getting cards that your cubes never have to leave the shops.

If you get to this state before your opponent, you win. End of game. Usually determined by early 2nd week. Then you get the "fun" of watching your opponent rinse and repeat the same moves every turn for the next 12 rounds.

All of this is determined largely by luck of the draw in the first round. Great fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dennpars wrote:

Winning strategy is do nothing but take cards for the first round until you are able to build The Caravanserai (allowing you to take a card everytime a cube is sent to caravan). Then get 2 cubes onto Sack/barrel or Vase/barrel. Then just send cubes to the caravan. Every round puts two cubes on the caravan and two cards in your hand.

That hasn't been true for years, when the updated rules were released. The Caravanserai only gives you one card even if you send two cubes, and it's illegal to move the Supervisor zero spaces, so you can't hit it two rounds in a row.

That makes it 1 card every two rounds, a far cry from 2 cards every round. Toss in the expansion where there's 1 one camel card in 18 pulls...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Parsons
United States
Alto
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
dennpars wrote:

Winning strategy is do nothing but take cards for the first round until you are able to build The Caravanserai (allowing you to take a card everytime a cube is sent to caravan). Then get 2 cubes onto Sack/barrel or Vase/barrel. Then just send cubes to the caravan. Every round puts two cubes on the caravan and two cards in your hand.

That hasn't been true for years, when the updated rules were released. The Caravanserai only gives you one card even if you send two cubes, and it's illegal to move the Supervisor zero spaces, so you can't hit it two rounds in a row.

That makes it 1 card every two rounds, a far cry from 2 cards every round. Toss in the expansion where there's 1 one camel card in 18 pulls...

Well, that change would certainly improve the game quite a bit. Yucata still doesn't have these rules implemented and probably won't given you said it's been years.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, all I saw was Oct twentysomething and didn't look to see that it was 2011, haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I believe the updated rules Steve quotes are only in the expansion, so technically they're not part of the base game even now, but they are intended to be used with it.

I think they would definitely help with the balance issues with the caravan. I've always used them (I had the Ystari Box which contains the expansion before I bought the base game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.