Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenny Coleman
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the market to buy a fantasy themed game that has great components and is just a blast to play with 2 or more people. It would probably be played with only 2 players. I am not looking for it to be overly complex, but some meat on the bones is welcome. Dungeon crawler perhaps? Wargame?Not sure, I'm not really familiar with these possible genres.

I hear that Fantasy Flight is one of the best compnaies for games like this, but I don't know. Heroscape is not appealing because I don't like the mixed eras theme. I really think the dark fantasy theme is the best.

Miniatures would be cool too, although not totally necessary.

I'm sure there is all sorts of questions you could ask me to narrow down my preferences, but I don't know of anything else to add at the moment. Thanks everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams
United States
Lebanon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos in the Old World is a great game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
mizzou95 wrote:
Chaos in the Old World is a great game...
Yes, but it doesn't work with only 2 players.

The closest game I know is Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation. The bits aren't great, but it is a great game and it has pretty artwork. It is also 2 player only, so not quite what you are looking for, but a good game to consider.

Hopefully somebody else can recommend a good dungeon crawler or advanture game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Small World. It plays well 2-5, has a pretty heavy fantasy theme. But it DOESN'T have combat with dice, per se. So read up before buying!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Berlin
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Twister 2: Prison is coming out, it should be smashin'!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mwtpublic
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you might enjoy Descent: Journeys in the Dark, although it might be heavier than you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Runebound (Second Edition) is best as a two player game.
It's essentially a race to kill the big baddy (Margath). Combat is primarily against the game system with players trying to get items and gain experience to level up faster than the other in the attempt to be strong enough to kill the Dragon first.
With two there is little downtime and the rules relatively simple. It is rather time consuming though with a 2 player game probably lasting 90-120 minutes. (we use the optional rule to level up with 1 less experience to keep the game moving)

Check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morris
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about BattleLore? They have a tonne of expansions out already and you can pick it up pretty easily. There is some fantasy races already, but more on the way according to FFG. The introduction of Heroes is a good first step as is the upcoming Dragons expansion.

There are a whole bunch of Dwarves and Goblins already out and I would expect Elves to be a logical next step. It scales well for any amount of time you have to play, whether it be just 30 minutes, or 3 hours. You can add in magic and customize your armies after you play a few games.

It's well designed for two players, but in larger battles you can easily add a third or fourth player. Highly recommended!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Coleman
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I truly appreciate the feedback. There are some games mentioned in this thread that I have heard of before, but never paid any mind.

I've heard of Descent mainly through the Dice Tower vlogs and podcasts. I am interested, but I'm a bit newer at games and I'm not sure if the complexity of it would turn me off, let alone if anyone would be interested in playing it. I'll do some more research on it.

BattleLore is very interesting to me and I have seen bits of Scott Nicholson's vlog on it. I'll watch it all the way through and do some more research on it. If I remember correctly, its a pretty penny with all the bits that it has.

I've heard a lot about Dungeon Twister, at least heard the title several times. Should I hold out until the second one comes out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kennymiester wrote:
I truly appreciate the feedback. There are some games mentioned in this thread that I have heard of before, but never paid any mind.

I've heard of Descent mainly through the Dice Tower vlogs and podcasts. I am interested, but I'm a bit newer at games and I'm not sure if the complexity of it would turn me off, let alone if anyone would be interested in playing it. I'll do some more research on it.

BattleLore is very interesting to me and I have seen bits of Scott Nicholson's vlog on it. I'll watch it all the way through and do some more research on it. If I remember correctly, its a pretty penny with all the bits that it has.

I've heard a lot about Dungeon Twister, at least heard the title several times. Should I hold out until the second one comes out?

Descent feels a lot like HeroQuest on steroids to me. Dungeon crawly, lots of tactical maneuvering and monster killing. Cool big plasticy pieces.

I haven't played BattleLore but IIRC it works on roughly the same system as Memoir44 which felt a little abstract to me. Card driven, tactical, scenario-based combat.

Dungeon Twister is a great game, but if you want to feel the theme it may not be the right choice. It feels a lot like Fantasy Themed chess to me. The bits are also simple cardboard tokens and 2d cardboard pieces that stand in a little plastic stand. Your initial post mentioned "great components" so I thought you might want to know. I don't know anything about the second ed. though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Coleman
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would HeroQuest be a better (perhaps easier) introduction into crawlers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kennymiester wrote:
Would HeroQuest be a better (perhaps easier) introduction into crawlers?

Maybe. It is definitely easier but it may be perhaps too much so? I went back to it and found it a little simplistic. Also it is well out of print and used copies can often run as much as new copies of Descent. Not to mention you will want to be careful to get the American version and not the European version (many sellers do not claim which version or necessarily know the difference) but the American version is more developed it seems (e.g. monsters can have multiple hit points, extra token to track information of this sort, etc.)

Again, I think Runebound is a good choice - is there something about that game which turns you off?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Coleman
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great recommendations. I wish I was able to narrow down my search, all of the ones mentioned I think would be a blast to play. Runebound is looking awesome, something that I think I will try to pick up. Also, Small World does have great ratings, but I think I am going to hold off on that at the moment as I kinda have games already that use land grab mechanics. Its a really hard call. All of the games though have been put on my list to try out one of these days though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McGirk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed Prophecy. I only played a four player game, but my buddy says the 2 player is good too. There seemed to be meaningful decisions the whole way through the game. The cards are beautiful though it's not a big "minis" game.

For the record, I DISLIKED Return of the Heroes. I felt like I was on a scavenger hunt for 7 year olds, just running around until I got tired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
Not 100% archetypal fantasy nor is it a dungeon crawl, but Fantasy Flight Game's remake of Fury of Dracula can do really well as two player chase mystery. One person directs Bram Stoker's Dracula one step ahead of the other player's four investigators who are trying to track him down and lay him to rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Coleman
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet. I went ahead and made an order. Picked up Memoir '44 (since I've heard many great things about it and I dont have a WWII game), BattleLore and RuneBound. All for just over 100 bucks and free shipping! Sweet. Next paycheck and a few plays of my newer aqcuired games I'll have to take a look at the others that were mentioned here. Really appreciate the feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some that work for the Lady and I:

Cave Troll
Return of the Heroes
Prophecy

Out of print titles, some of which might be expensive:

HeroQuest
Advanced Heroquest
Warhammer Quest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another game you might consider is Wizard Kings. It's a strategic game where you build units, then send them out to conquer enemy territories. It's a block game, so you get the Stratego-like effect, where you don't get to see exactly what your opponents have until combat is joined.

Rules are online at Columbia Games web site, so you can check them out.

I'd also like to recommend BattleLore--great tactical game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.