United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
All glory to the Hypnotoad!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a decent solo game that I can play 2-3 times a week when Madden starts to get old. I noticed this game a while ago, but my gaming group would probably never take to it. I've seen some posts about playing it solo, and am curious how well it plays. It seems to be immersive, a decent length, and have lots of room for replays. How do the solo players think this game stacks up?

Expanding on that, I was curious if there were any "necessary" expansions for this game. I know there are several, but are there any that seem to complete the game (like how Inns and Cathedrals and Traders and Builders complete Carcassonne)?

Looking forward to seeing what people think, thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't speak for the expansions, but the solo play works fine. For balance I think it's best to play it with 2 investigators and control both, but the game seems to work fine that way. I think it's a more interesting game with 2 actual players at the table, but it seems to hold up well to solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
Australia
Upwey
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the exception of 2 games, all of my plays have been Solo. I play with 3 investigators and it works great. Expansions are not necessary the base game plays great on its own. That said I do have all the expansions but only ever play with one expansion at a time. Definitely worth getting it's a great way to kill half a wet rainy day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I don't like playing games solo. However, I love this game solo. I control 4 investigators because it seems to be the number that opens up the game for a little more exploring.

As far as expansions, I feel the base game has a lot of mileage on it. But most people think Dunwich is a great add on and a lot of the components should be added in for a richer experience. But I would only look at the expansion when teh base game gets a bit easy. Or at a bare minimum, once you have played through all the GOOs at least once - which is what i did before moving on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb Adams
United States
Agoura Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer three to four when I solo. Upkeep gets too long when I play four. This game is insanely* great.

* Get it? Oh it is to laugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like our Esteemed Colleague Eric M, I've played only solo games except for 2 times.
Using 2 or 3 Investigators works best- I've tried 4 a few times (a desparate ploy to have a ghost of a chance against the Black Goat expansion) but I get them mixed up and have to re-do parts of turns.

I've barely touched a video game since I got Arkham Horror. Wish there were more solo games of this calibre...(been working on an idea for one, but I've said too much already)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
All glory to the Hypnotoad!
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to see these positive replies. I'm almost sold on it, just want to read a few reviews and get a feel and see if anyone else has anything to say.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hurp
United Kingdom
Aldershot
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had this since last Christmas, and played it with 4-6 players about 5 or 6 times. Other than that I give it a solo run through about once a month, maybe more. Certainly enough for me to buy Dunwich Horror just to address some minor niggles that I had with the base board.
I play it with 1 investigator .... I don't win very often shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 20 or more games solo about 10% of my play. I certainly prefer group play but solo is fun. The game is nearly infinitely modifiable and exploration of the town is one of most enjoyable parts for me.

Usually I use 4 investigators when I play and always go for a sealing victory.

You'll probably soon need an expansion, however. I'd suggest a big board expansion, namely Dunwich because it adds lots of investigator cards. It also adds more investigators and Old Ones but so do the other big board expansions (Innsmouth and Kingsport).

However the best expansion is Innsmouth because it better captures the feelings of Horror.

The only other option IMO is King in Yellow because it is so well done, but it doesn't add a board, but it does add the Blight cards which answers the question "Why is there a terror level anyway?"

When you decide you really love it, then look at the other expansions: Curse of the Dark Pharaoh, Kingsport and Black Goat of the Woods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.