Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Subterranean Quarry A32 --- (Sep 28 & Oct ??, 2009)

As always, comments, criticisms, questions are welcome. Please, let me know what I can make these better.

Martin talked a bunch of smack after crushing me on the North Bank. So, I decided to give my favorite scenario a try. It’s A32. Just because I haven’t played it in 17ish years, doesn’t mean that I still don’t like it!

OK, so Subterranean Quarry, involves 20 Romanian Elite Squads (using German 548’s), a few leaders, 6 LMGs and 4 FTs in 8 1/2 turns trying to clean out some partisans in some tunnels outside of Odessa in January 1944. The partisans have a variable number of units (14-15), SW (2-4) and ?s (14 or 15) plus three leaders. SANs are zero, which is actually kinda weird. But ELR was a factor for the Romanians. Since it is two, when they fail they drop from 548s to 447s!

This scenario is played on two half boards. Board 4 A-QQ is level 0 (with all trees as brush) and board 1 A-QQ is level -1, which represents underground. Only the roads are playable in the underground quarry. Each space is a 1 MP, 1 TEM, concealment terrain and one can only see adjacent spaces. So, the fighting has to get up close and personal. There are five locations spread about that represent the equivalent of stairs, but without LOS between them. Finally, he gets two blocked hexes as well. All in all, this is a great scenario.

To win I have to have no partisans in the tunnels. ROAR put the balance at 30 to 15 or so, pro-Romanian. I set up my attack to primarily go down the two holes in row Q and I 9, while guarding the I1 hole. I hoped to smoke out the rats towards C5. Martin set up the partisans to fall back towards central positions. I’m not sure if he wanted to exit the holes and drop back down into the tunnels behind me, but I covered pretty well.

Right off the bat, I plopped down into the Q holes and ran into the blocked hexes. My little 238s popped through a couple of dummy stacks and then bumped up on some of his stacks. I decided to try my luck moving 548s into the residual fire hexes, rolling REALLY WELL on my MCs. I think that I only have one guy break and a couple of guys pin. We both noted that I had some pretty phenomenal rolling. Since it was so good, I just kept moving guys up and passing MCs.

The partisans had a couple of guys break, but they quickly rallied back far behind the lines with no one pestering them.

Turn two saw me push back the guys to the N6-O6-O7 triangle in the south and push out to the F6 & J7 spaces from the west. Over the next couple of turns we sparred around I6-J6 junctions, while I pushed him back to the L5 junction from the south. By turn three I had cleared out to O5 from the west. On the debit side, I had about 3 or 4 squads that had failed ELR and on two FT shots, I had rolled two 10s, Xing them!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRR. My dice had definitely started to turn.

I had left guys in 4P1 and 4O6 (1st level) to guard my back holes... :-). Yeah, I said that. Anyway, with the discovery of the two hex blocks and the overwhelming numbers in the south, I moved those guys forward towards the west hole at I9, giving me a bit more muscle when I needed it.

On turn three Martin moved a big stack of concealed guys to I6. Then he moved up a 7-0 to bust my concealment in J6. The lone gunman... :-) busts a cap at the defenders in DFF breaking the 7-0 and a Sq, pinning another and berserking the third! Crazy rolls. This was the third (?) of Martin’s snakes of the night. (Still kinda cool though.) To compensate he had broken at least one LMG, and we both had CR some broken guys. I also had two stacks of 2 SQ and 2 HS in O3 and I9, all broken. That was hurting the effort.

Small Blue circles = Entrance hexes (the only transit areas between levels)
Green Gs = Original Romanian guards
They moved on turn two, didn’t need them because I found the blocked spaces
Green arrows = Romanian advances
Big Red Xs’ = blocked tunnels
Purple S’s = Partisan stacks
Rather than just one guy, he usually had 3 stacked together. Some died others fell back. Basically, he’s constricting into a mass of strength.
Red S = the partisan stack that I schwacked.

So, on my turn, I move more guys into J6 and H6, deflecting fire and move them into I6, killing the pinned squad and leaving my three 548s and his one berserk 527 in melee. On turn two I finally remembered smoke grenades...D@MN!!!!! I used them to good effect throughout turn 2, 3 and 4. I’d move up a guy behind, throw SGs into the space adjacent to the partisan kill stack, then assault move one guy adjacent, followed by NAM by guys farther back. It worked pretty well, though there were some mixed results.

Turn four saw me rally most of the guys in O3 and I9, then push up from the south to L5 to link up with the guys in J6. Whew, I needed that. Also I pushed up road to D5, having cleaned out the F7 to I6 area. And that’s where we left it. He has 2x 527 + LMG in L4 to my 9-1, 2x 548 and ??? guy in L5. I6 remains locked in melee with 3 of mine and one of his. Finally, he has 3x 337s in C4 holding off my ??? stack in D5.

We’ll have to play again in about 10 days or so.

Lessons learned so far. Use your damn smoke. Sheesh. Push it if you’re lucky, cut back if the dice are being unkind.

He has 3 CVP against me. (I can have 27 and still win.) Oh and he ambushed me twice out of two times. Sigh. All for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always wanted to play this, but have never found any takers...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
mummykitty wrote:
I've always wanted to play this, but have never found any takers...

This is a scenario I've been itching to try, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is definitely my favorite. From ROAR, it is a bit pro-Romanian, but Martin didn't want to take the balance which is that the Romanians are lax.

I should finish this up next week and I'll post the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this back when Partisan was just new, and thought it was a really cool idea. I don't remember at all how it went, so I think I need to try again. Fortunately, I have a FtF opponent who gets a blast out of playing partisans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.