Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Franklin
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 8 of the rules, under "Minority Influence" it says, "Note that it is possible for all Mobsters in a Speakeasy to have Minority Influence."

Now, initially, I didn't see how this would be possible because I thought that if there was a tie for the highest influence, the tie would be broken by highest muscle.

But on closer reading of the rules, I see that using Muscle to break the tie is only explicitly stated for Controlling Influence. For Majority Influence, it states that they must have "more influence" than any other Mobster, but less than all others combined.

So, this leads me to the following conclusion:

If there is a tie, and only 2 Mobsters have influence in a speakeasy, then whoever has the highest muscle has Controlling Influence.

If there is a tie for highest, but a 3rd Mobster also has influence, then NO ONE has Controlling or Majority Influence. All Mobsters have Minority influence.

For example:
2 - red, 2 - green, 1 - blue: all 3 have Minority Influence.

Does this match other's understanding here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Dean
Australia
Earlwood
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too thought it odd that Controlling Influence had a tie break condition with muscle cards but, as you say, it is NOT mentioned for Majority Influence. So I see it the way you see it. In your example we have 3 Minority Influences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Franklin
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response. So I guess you are interpreting it the same way that I do.

That helps. I had read some other responses in this forum that seemed to suggest otherwise, and I just wanted some confirmation that I was understanding this rule correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Jones
United States
Niantic
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The original poster is correct. By definition, when only two players have Influence in a speakeasy and they have equal influence, both players have as much influence as all other players combined. But since only one can have Controlling Influence, the tie-breaker is the Muscle.

If Player A has 2 markers, Player B has 2 markers, and Player C has 1 marker, then none of them meet the requirements for Controlling or Majority, so yes, all of them have Minority Influence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I teach this game, I don't use the rulebook's words. "Majority" means "Plurality". "Controlling" means "Majority" - approximately. I explain the rule but I just talk about lining up in the 3-star lane and getting profit, without ever mentioning "majority."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael "Tie-Dyed-Eyes"
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was being taught this game last night, I was a bit confused too. I tried to insist "That's not majority, that's plurality." But they all ignored me. By the end of the night they had me indoctrinated to use the wrong term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
revtiedye wrote:
When I was being taught this game last night, I was a bit confused too. I tried to insist "That's not majority, that's plurality." But they all ignored me. By the end of the night they had me indoctrinated to use the wrong term.

The book's definitions are at least consistent within the rule book. They just don't match up with what the words actually mean in English.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bumping an old thread... we read this wrong last night as well; as it seemed to us that the muscle cards would break ties for majority. However, I realize that this actually doesn't make a lot of difference... If no one has majority, then the minority with the highest muscle will still line up first and be sold to first... so it's like he has majority for that purpose anyway.

The only difference is that he wouldn't be able to close the public dock, but at least in our game, the public dock was almost never used because the buying capacity was more than taken up by the first 2 docks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Barnes
United Kingdom
Leigh
Lancs
flag msg tools
I had no problems with it. I guess it could be an American thing. In the UK a 3-2-2 split typically means the leader has a majority. Of one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.