Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played League of Six a little while back and decided I should have a copy of my own. I discovered there was an expansion so I bought that as well. The expansion adds a 6th player, 36 different tax tile hexes and a wagon-fortress marker to indicate which city is under siege by the Hussites. The tax tiles are group into three sets of 12. The tiles are marked labeled 1-2, 3-4 and 5-6 to indicate which rounds the tiles are to be used in. Some of the tiles provide an immediate effect, others offer a special ability to be used in certain phases for the rest of the game and some are bonus tiles which give you points; some outright, some if certain conditions are met. You also get to keep these tiles until the end of the game. Because of the number of new tax tile hexes I won’t go into detail about them. The wagon-fortress marker allows one city to be under siege from the Hussites and yet gives every player a chance to collect taxes from a city when playing with 6. The placement of this piece is determined by selecting one city card which will be attacked that round. The wagon-fortress marker is placed between that city and the next city clockwise. When moving between these two cities it costs an extra guard. The marker does provide the tax collector in those two cities an extra horse.

This review is after one play. I played with two friends who had not played League of Six before so I thought we should use the full expansion. With only three people and six cities there was hardly any fighting over the cities to collect taxes. The conflict over who was going to collect taxes in a city in one of the things that I liked about League of Six so I missed it here. Because of the different powers of the tax tiles we spent a lot of time reading to find out the benefit of each. I thought this was a great improvement over just gaining an extra cube. The extra element of receiving benefits for the tax tiles throughout the game increases the amount of thought that goes into deciding where to collect taxes. The game comes with one set of cards that explains the tax tiles and there benefits but I think it will be necessary to have some extra copies on hand. Because there was not a lot of conflict there was not a lot of movement past the city being attacked so that was not a factor.

I think the expansion offers a lot to the base game and I look forward to playing with it again. There are some things I would do differently though. When playing with 3 or 4 I would use the base game rules for the cities under siege to help create conflict. However I think less conflict may be good when playing with non-gamers.

I am going to hold off making a rating until I play a few more times. I do think that if you have League of Six you should get the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not understand. The wagon-fortress marker is only to support 6 players. It serves no other purpose. There was never an intent in the game to remove the competition for the towns.

On rereading this maybe you understood that and were suggesting it as a variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I did miss that it was to be used to add a sixth player only but I think we would have played it the same way. Since the tax tiles provide functions that continue to the end of the game we were looking to make them all available so we had to have all of the cities open. It appears we all had different strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.