Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears that GW has the Blood Angels codex available for download from their site. It's not that easy to find, but from what I can tell, this plus the Assault on Black Reach set would give a player a nice jump on a Blood Angels army.

Anyone with 40K experience have any thoughts on the suitability of AoBR as a Blood Angels army? Are there chapter emblems and such on the models like the ones in SH? They're presented as Ultramarines on the GW site and I'd prefer to keep the iconography consistent, so I'm wondering if there would be any challenge to painting them as Blood Angels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting... I'm not into 40K at all and don't plan to be, but I thought there was just a Space Marine codex that would deal with whatever chapter you'd want to use, are they doing individual chapter codexes now, or have they always done that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melbourne
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottB wrote:
It appears that GW has the Blood Angels codex available for download from their site. It's not that easy to find, but from what I can tell, this plus the Assault on Black Reach set would give a player a nice jump on a Blood Angels army.

Anyone with 40K experience have any thoughts on the suitability of AoBR as a Blood Angels army? Are there chapter emblems and such on the models like the ones in SH? They're presented as Ultramarines on the GW site and I'd prefer to keep the iconography consistent, so I'm wondering if there would be any challenge to painting them as Blood Angels.

I painted my AoBR army as Red Scorpions. There was no iconography that I remember on the models that represented any chapter. So I would think you should have no problem painting them as Blood angels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hultgren
Sweden
flag msg tools
There is one generic one and then several for specific famous chapters: Spacewolves (just came out new), Blood Angels (pdf), Black Templars and Dark Angels.

AoBR is a good start either way as you get a rule book in convinient format and other needed stuff. The models are pretty generis so work fine for a Blood Angels theme.

As a side note so would Dark Angels be the easiest codex to use if you want to use the minis from Space Hulk (and AoBR too) for 40k as it has the option to use Terminators as Troops. Its not unheared of to use a diffrent codex then the paint theme of your models. But your milage may vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyoko Steeple
United States
Columbia
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of the models themselves, I don't believe there are any Chapter-specific markings on the models in AoBR. The Ultramarine insignia you see in the promo photos are transfers, but the transfer sheets typically include insignia for all of the major Chapters. You shouldn't run into any trouble there. If you're bent adding ridiculous Chapter detail to your models, Forge World probably sells Chapter-specific armor plates and such. Far from necessary, though.

I don't know much about Space Marine army composition. I play Eldar, and I know that each craftworld centers on a specific battle philosophy that guides the makeup of its warhost (Biel-Tan focus on Aspect Warriors, Saim-Hann on jetbikes and other skimmers, Ulthwe on Guardians and Seers, and so on.) The different Space Marine chapters might break down similarly. However, I suspect that you'd find a use for everything in SH and AoBR no matter what Chapter you play - I can't think of a single army that doesn't run a commander, tactical marine squads, and terminators. (I also can't think of many that don't run dreadnoughts, except in very specific cases.) Adhering to the fluff with regard to your army setup should only be a consideration when you're fielding significantly larger armies.

Let us know what you decide to do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Murphy
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The AoBR set's a good deal for what you get, even after they bumped the price up a bit.

Try and find a local ork player who doesn't need their AoBR marines and trade them your orcs for them. Twice the models for the same price!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Squaresville wrote:
The AoBR set's a good deal for what you get, even after they bumped the price up a bit.

Try and find a local ork player who doesn't need their AoBR marines and trade them your orcs for them. Twice the models for the same price!

Or learn to play a real army. Orks are da best.
Waaaagh!!

The above comments on the AoBR figures are accurate: No chapter marking, you can use them for any chapter.

Similarly the comments on the Codicies: They have a generic Marines one, and a few selected Chapters who's organisation varies significantly from the Codex Astartes have their own.

In 40K though, you pick a Codex and make your army with it, but it doesn't have to be a "model" match. you choose the army list which best represents the background of your force, and use the "counts as" rule to differentaite the abilities of models.

The most extreme example I saw of this was an Ork Blood Axe elite mega-armour division, using the rules for the Deathwing. It was an awesome set of conversions, so no-one minded at all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slev wrote:
In 40K though, you pick a Codex and make your army with it, but it doesn't have to be a "model" match. you choose the army list which best represents the background of your force, and use the "counts as" rule to differentiate the abilities of models.

The most extreme example I saw of this was an Ork Blood Axe elite mega-armour division, using the rules for the Deathwing. It was an awesome set of conversions, so no-one minded at all!

Interesting - that's quite helpful. Thanks for clarifying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyoko Steeple
United States
Columbia
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Squaresville wrote:

It depends how many people you know also play 40k. It's nice to have both the Orks and Marines available so you can introduce people to the game / play with friends that don't have an army. (The box set has a beautiful programmed introduction to the rules with Marine vs. Ork scenarios.)

'Course, eventually you end up like me - almost 3000 points of Eldar, all primed and assembled but mostly unpainted, and another 2000 points of semi-painted Tyranids because I needed "another force to play around with in case somebody wanted to drop in on a game." No regrets, though! I love this stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hultgren
Sweden
flag msg tools
The other half of the Space Hulk box is a start for an army as well. Broodlord plus the Genestealers looks to be around 500pts of legal army (HQ plus 2 Troops).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyoko Steeple
United States
Columbia
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Znail wrote:
The other half of the Space Hulk box is a start for an army as well. Broodlord plus the Genestealers looks to be around 500pts of legal army (HQ plus 2 Troops).

Yes, but not a particularly good one. You need some form of Heavy Support or you don't have any reliable way of taking down vehicles. I will agree that it's a great start to a larger Tyranid army, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle McGreogr
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The marines in the AOBR do not have any specific chapter markings. They do however have molded Tactical Squad arrows on their right shoulder, which would limit them to be used as a basic troop choice.

If you are looking to get into 40k i would recommend getting 12 40mm round bases that you could use double sided tape or sticky tack when using your space hulk marines for 40k because base size is very important to the rules.

Overall, I would say that it is a great start for any Space Marine player as a box of 5 terminators alone is $50 retail and this set is $75 for everything including a rulebook. If you are not bothered by the slightly lower detail level than the more expensive multi-part kits, you can make a pretty decent starter army with 2 sets (2 tactical squads, 2 dreadnoughts, 2 terminator squads, 2 captains) on the cheap. If you can find someone who wants orcs you could both agree to buy a set and trade the models to get that for just $75 retail...a much better deal than the $90 battleforce as it also gets you the rules and templates you need to play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The AoBR set is the whole reason I'm looking into 40K at all - I know the Genestealers would make a good army component, but if I go that route, it's a significantly larger investment. The rulebook alone is nearly the cost of the AoBR set. I figure that, for $75, I can give 40K a try and if I don't really like it then I have the option to use some of the figs as Space Hulk variants - assuming one of the rule sets that I've seen for Orks works well - and trade off the rest. If I do like it, then I'll have another couple of squads of Termies plus a Librarian to add into the mix. In that case, adding either another AoBR set or a Battleforce seems like it would give me a lot of options. (The pdf Blood Angels codex also saves me a few bucks, hence my initial question.)

What's a good source for bases?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyoko Steeple
United States
Columbia
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?...

You can probably find them a bit cheaper online, but with shipping they end up cost at least the same amount as just picking them up at a GW shop.

I highly recommend the AoBR route. It's an incredible value and it's a ton of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah - should have guessed. They're offering free shipping for Oct; I'm sure I could find $15 of merchandise to make the cut...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle McGreogr
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SleightOfHand wrote:

You can probably find them a bit cheaper online, but with shipping they end up cost at least the same amount as just picking them up at a GW shop.

I highly recommend the AoBR route. It's an incredible value and it's a ton of fun.

those are 25mm bases. If Scott is looking for Terminator bases he needs to look at 40mm bases

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyoko Steeple
United States
Columbia
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcgregok wrote:
SleightOfHand wrote:

those are 25mm bases. If Scott is looking for Terminator bases he needs to look at 40mm bases

Whoops! Wrong link. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.