Subject: Heroes . . . I just started watching it . . . and . . . rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw five issues you outline halfway through the first of four seasons.

Without posting spoilers, would you lose heart if I told you only 2.5 of them are resolved four seasons later?

Oh, and don't get too accustomed to well structured. The writers will consistently fail to have a character use a power at the moment it would perhaps be best applicable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
that one I'll give you. He's got a long future from your current perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My best advice to you is since you're mostly there, finish season one. You'll know by then if Heroes is the type of show up with which you shall or shall not put. And you can be forewarned that after this season the plot goes all over the place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Quote:
would you lose heart if I told you only 2.5 of them are resolved four seasons later?

Maybe.

Can Mohinder die, too?

And please tell me that Eden doesn't come back from the dead. That would suck more than her acting.

Mohinder's superpower/alter ego: Nap Man

Just you wait until 2nd season, Drew. Apparently it got better after that, but notice I'm talking about it in the past tense. I've seen things I prefer to forget.

What's wrong with you, anyway? You're talking about Heroes and not chatting in your Mad Men thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only watched the first two seasons. Loved season 1. Season 2 was so-so, too scattershot, and introduced too many new people I didn't like or care about. I heard Season 3 was also unimpressive, but never saw it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I gave up on Heroes after two seasons. Some high points in season 1 (especially first few episodes and "Company Man"), otherwise horrible.

Drew1365 wrote:
At points far too violent than I like.

I'm currently going thru Lost on Hulu (almost finished with S3), and I totally feel that way about Lost. These aren't even superheroes, yet the primary implement in their conflict resolution toolbox is to knock someone unconscious. But unsurprising with the target audience an NFL nation...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed Heroes for the first season. It could have done with being a shorter season just to get things moving but that was a minor complaint.

However IMO is has, perhaps, the worst final episode of a season that I can remember. Everything built up nicely (and slowly) and the penultimate episode put everything in place for a classic season closer but I thought it was terrible.

Drew, if you're a fan of Hiro & Ando then you'll likely get more out of the next season than I did. They're the characters that stopped me watching the show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish they'd all die and I wish Hero could go back in time and ensure that I'd never started watching it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
When you finish season one, just stop. There's nothing to see after that.

Seriously. It just gets painful after that point. I mean it's a live action super-hero TV show and I have stopped watching it. Me! I'd watch a show for three seasons for no other reason than one of the characters having a super-hero tattoo. I just can't make myself watch that crap anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:

We watched the entire first season, but the finale was so awfully, stupidly, inept and terrible that we didn't watch another second. I haven't regretted it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:

Seriously. It just gets painful after that point. I mean it's a live action super-hero TV show and I have stopped watching it. Me! I'd watch a show for three seasons for no other reason than one of the characters having a super-hero tattoo. I just can't make myself watch that crap anymore.

I would say stop about five minutes before the end of Season 1. That way, you don't feel like you're hanging from the tie in to Season 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched Season 2 and hated it,

Then I started Season 3, and it wasn't too bad, but stopped because of the magnificent huge glaring unbelievable scientific error that they made, and I haven't been able to watch it since.

Those of you who have seen Season 3 probably know what I'm talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
It has some good ideas, but as usual Jeff Loeb is all flash and can't tell a story to save his life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why I keep watching it. I didn't care if I started watching the current season or not, but the DVR recorded it and I've watched them so far. They could cancel it today and I wouldn't care. It's like the worst comic-book-by-committee thing you can imagine, only the interesting parts have been left out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
My impression while watching Season 1 was that the overall plot was really well constructed, but some of the characters were really annoying (Mohinder, Nikki and her kid, sometimes Peter). I kind of dreaded the end of the first season, because there were so many great elements there, that any subsequent seasons could only be laden with disappointment. All of the new (superhero) characters in Season 2 were completely annoying, and they killed off the most interesting villain in the show. My advice? Stick with season one as long as you can, and let it go after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My brother-in-law is trying to get us started watching it. He and his wife absolutely love it. Now I won't be so disappointed when it starts to go downhill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if I should start with my great hate for Heroes. It's bad enough that Marvel made 3 X-Men movies which made my love of X-Men go down the toilet, but Heroes made my love of superheroes completely go away.

I think it sucked a part of my life away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I'm halfway through the first season DVDs. It's . . . kind of interesting.

Good, you can stop now. It is good for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I'm halfway through the first season DVDs. It's . . . kind of interesting.

Good, you can stop now. It is good for you. That's really the best part of the series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.