Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Richards
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The title pretty much sums it up. Will there be any Seaside cards incorporated in BSW?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, BSW?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
filovirus wrote:
The title pretty much sums it up. Will there be any Seaside cards incorporated in BSW?

I don't know, but we haven't picked out any cards for BSW, so they can't have programmed anything yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ville Inkiläinen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
Eh, BSW?

www.brettspielwelt.de
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So is there some sort of fund we can contribute to to get ALL the cards added to BSW?

I actually stopped playing on BSW since there were 20 excellent cards (hmm...okay, 19 and Wishing Well) that weren't added. I know this was an economic decision on the part of the game company since they had to pay BSW to add the cards, but having the full library would be very much worth it to me and I'm sure many other folks. It isn't like we don't already own the cardboard version of the game, so it sure isn't hurting sales.

And yes, if Rio Grande brewed and hosted their own Dominion application instead, I'd sign up for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Fox
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rykaar wrote:

And yes, if Rio Grande brewed and hosted their own Dominion application instead, I'd sign up for it.

Word on the street is that this is in the works, but no idea on timelines. I heard it includes Dominion and RftG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc-Andre Blanchet
Canada
Sherbrooke
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bluef0x wrote:
Rykaar wrote:

Word on the street is that this is in the works, but no idea on timelines. I heard it includes Dominion and RftG.

Haha. You crack me up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
bluef0x wrote:
Rykaar wrote:

Dunno about RftG, but yes, the plan is to have (all of) Dominion available online. I'm not sure how far along that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
bluef0x wrote:
Rykaar wrote:

Dunno about RftG, but yes, the plan is to have (all of) Dominion available online. I'm not sure how far along that is.

Donald, any chance for AI players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:

I am saddened that I can only give this one thumbs up! Great news. I am not a believer that BSW does this game (or many other great F2F games) any justice at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Rastak wrote:

I really don't have much information about it. We wanted an online game that we could make some trickle of income off of, but no-one was really doing anything about it. Then some people contacted me to offer to be our game-programming guys, and I told Jay, and he said actually he had some people lined up already, although he hadn't quite decided if he was going with them yet. That was a couple months ago and I haven't bugged him about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
That was a couple months ago and I haven't bugged him about it.

I say you've given him two months of peace. Start bugging
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loc Nguyen
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think the xbox live arcade would be an awesome idea. With the demo being the basic setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
Rastak wrote:

I really don't have much information about it. We wanted an online game that we could make some trickle of income off of, but no-one was really doing anything about it. Then some people contacted me to offer to be our game-programming guys, and I told Jay, and he said actually he had some people lined up already, although he hadn't quite decided if he was going with them yet. That was a couple months ago and I haven't bugged him about it.

Come on Dale - get on it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
United States
Farmingdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
Rastak wrote:

Would be great to have a model similar to DoW, where you can play online if you've bought the game (physical box).

Furthermore, I wonder if this is something that could work in BSW. BSW already has the concept of game rooms, which limits the numbers of simultaneous games that can be played at a time (at least in theory). In any case, what if those game rooms (or maybe new room types) where actually associated to a physical copy of the game bought by someone ? A game could only be played there when the "owner" of game is there, or something along those lines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
teg2 wrote:

Would be great to have a model similar to DoW, where you can play online if you've bought the game (physical box).

Furthermore, I wonder if this is something that could work in BSW. BSW already has the concept of game rooms, which limits the numbers of simultaneous games that can be played at a time (at least in theory). In any case, what if those game rooms (or maybe new room types) where actually associated to a physical copy of the game bought by someone ? A game could only be played there when the "owner" of game is there, or something along those lines.

BSW is an abomination of an interface. The difficulty in setting it up reminds me of trying to make Samba work as an interface between Linux and Microsoft 5 years ago. It's brutal, and painful, and not very good even when you know how to use it. I for one am SUPER happy they are making their own interface - BSW doesn't do justice to great games.

As for the DoW model, which I absolutely LOVE, it is no longer free when you purchase a game. They moved several months ago to a one-time fee to play games. So TTR is $20, and each expansion is about $5. This allows you unlimited play on each part that you purcahse forever (or as long as the game system lasts). DoW clearly said that the model they were using wasn't paying it's way. It was clear that they couldn't charge more for the games (DoW charge PLENTY already, IMHO), so they broke the online system away from the F2F games. I would assume that RGG would be in the same boat. I highly doubt they are making $20 / game to throw towards web-development of an online game.

Personally I hope that the Dominion online game is similar in quality to TTR - DoW's model is a good target to aim for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
United States
Farmingdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elkabong wrote:
teg2 wrote:

BSW is an abomination of an interface. The difficulty in setting it up reminds me of trying to make Samba work as an interface between Linux and Microsoft 5 years ago. It's brutal, and painful, and not very good even when you know how to use it. I for one am SUPER happy they are making their own interface - BSW doesn't do justice to great games.

As for the DoW model, which I absolutely LOVE, it is no longer free when you purchase a game. They moved several months ago to a one-time fee to play games. So TTR is $20, and each expansion is about $5. This allows you unlimited play on each part that you purcahse forever (or as long as the game system lasts). DoW clearly said that the model they were using wasn't paying it's way. It was clear that they couldn't charge more for the games (DoW charge PLENTY already, IMHO), so they broke the online system away from the F2F games. I would assume that RGG would be in the same boat. I highly doubt they are making $20 / game to throw towards web-development of an online game.

Personally I hope that the Dominion online game is similar in quality to TTR - DoW's model is a good target to aim for.

We disagree here. I think BSW is a lovely place, with a great variety of games and, maybe most importantly, a great community !

I stopped gaming at many other places just becuase I actually loved sharing my gaming time with friends I made in BSW. Something than never happened for me with TTR in DoW's site, for exmaple. As much as I love Dominion, I doubt I'd be hooked to a different gaming site as I am with BSW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Servo
United States
watkinsville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Da L0C wrote:
I still think the xbox live arcade would be an awesome idea.

One thousand times yes! I would love an XBLA edition, but every vibe I've picked up says pretty much no chance for it. But if by some miracle it happened, I would be first in line to buy it .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
teg2 wrote:
We disagree here. I think BSW is a lovely place, with a great variety of games and, maybe most importantly, a great community !

I stopped gaming at many other places just becuase I actually loved sharing my gaming time with friends I made in BSW. Something than never happened for me with TTR in DoW's site, for exmaple. As much as I love Dominion, I doubt I'd be hooked to a different gaming site as I am with BSW.

I didn't say you couldn't make friends. I said the interface is an abomination. If you wanted to argue in favour of this interface -- this is an argument I won't even consider having with you.

The games themselves are decent (not great, but decent), but the interface is nothing short of abysmal. And the helpfiles... well, the 10% of them that have been babel-fished into english are terrible, but the rest aren't that good.

Anyways, I am glad you enjoy it. I enjoy the games too (even with the half-broken english on the Intrigue cards), but the interface and configuration of the system is not something I have any love for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teg2 wrote:

This is a conclusion I can agree with. If you are looking to make friends online, BSW could be a pretty good site for that. It's just not as good if you just want to play games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
United States
Farmingdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
teg2 wrote:

This is a conclusion I can agree with. If you are looking to make friends online, BSW could be a pretty good site for that. It's just not as good if you just want to play games.

Definitely BSW's user interface is something that puts some people off. It is not bad at all, just a bit different, but I guess that at some point it is also a matter of taste too

Also, as soon as you realize that non-German text in the site is mostly done by contributors, players like you and me, you kind of understand and accept (at least me) the gaps and imperfections, some may actually try to * gasp * help out !! You should try it .. it is nice for a change

In any case, one must focus on what it is really important for one .. and for me that is the pleasure of enjoying games with friends.

No question that there are different type of players / gamers, I, for one, as I said, enjoy the games AND the company. However, I do realize that for other people, it is more about the game and how good one is at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
teg2 wrote:

I think if you are looking to meet one very specific type of person BSW is good at that. Just by its own makeup, BSW appeals almost entirely to people who are
a) Technically inclined
and
b) Medium-Heavy gamers

Just the game list there will guarantee the (b) part, and the difficulty in configuring it will ensure (a).

For my part, I like F2F games and the true social aspect of the games themselves. I can have a bit of fun with the online interfaces on occasion, but to be honest, a poorly done interface like BSW isn't something that I enjoy. And of the 15 or so people whom I have set up on BSW, there isn't a single one who uses it regularly. Of the 5 or so I could convince to spend $20 on DoW, almost all are on there at least once a week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rhpenland wrote:
Da L0C wrote:
I still think the xbox live arcade would be an awesome idea.

One thousand times yes! I would love an XBLA edition, but every vibe I've picked up says pretty much no chance for it. But if by some miracle it happened, I would be first in line to buy it .

I'd buy two copies! I have two Xbox 360s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rykaar wrote:
So is there some sort of fund we can contribute to to get ALL the cards added to BSW?

I actually stopped playing on BSW since there were 20 excellent cards (hmm...okay, 19 and Wishing Well) that weren't added. I know this was an economic decision on the part of the game company since they had to pay BSW to add the cards, but having the full library would be very much worth it to me and I'm sure many other folks. It isn't like we don't already own the cardboard version of the game, so it sure isn't hurting sales.

I'm sure buying the physical games themselves are a great start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elkabong wrote:
Just by its own makeup, BSW appeals almost entirely to people who are
a) Technically inclined
and
b) Medium-Heavy gamers

Just the game list there will guarantee the (b) part, and the difficulty in configuring it will ensure (a).

For my part, I like F2F games and the true social aspect of the games themselves. I can have a bit of fun with the online interfaces on occasion, but to be honest, a poorly done interface like BSW isn't something that I enjoy. And of the 15 or so people whom I have set up on BSW, there isn't a single one who uses it regularly. Of the 5 or so I could convince to spend $20 on DoW, almost all are on there at least once a week.

One of the reasons why I would like to see Dominion implemented with an..ahem.. reasonably user-friendly interface is because I would like to be able to play a quick Dominion game with my friends. Since recently everybody seems to be hooked on bloody Facebook (instead of being hooked on a healthy, non-addictive site like BGG devil ) it would be great if I could simply ping someone and have a Dominion quickie.

While I had patience and will to suffer through BSW interface, it is not something I would put my friends through. A better online adaptation would be great (although if it comes with an entry price of $20, I think I will pass..unless it allows me to host the games for my friends, too).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.