Shawn Parker
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So just finally got my battle foam inserts from

http://battlefoam.com/catalog.php?category=66

and I wanted to warn anyone else who is still on the fence about spending $25 for what appears to be a great way to store the game: DON'T! The video's foam trays are totally different as they don't fit the form of the miniatures anywhere near as well. This made it impossible to tell what miniature was supposed to go in which cut out hole. To top it off the foam itself is not actually thick enough. After examining the video and pictures and placing the puzzle together I got everything into the correct place but I still had to heat up and bend the plastic on some miniatures just to make the **** things fit without poking out over the top of the foamy landscape! Seriously I had geanstealer arms/heads poking out a good half inch out of the foam. This is where the box lid is supposed to go ever them so there is no way they will fit without breaking...

It looks to me that they were overwhelmed with demand and sped the cutting process up to facilitate the orders but I would have gladly waited another month for foam inserts that FIT and are easy to RECOGNIZE where things are supposed to go.

I've heard good things about battle foam but from this product there is no way that I would recommend them or give them another shot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My BattleFoam fits the figures almost perfectly. The only complaint I could level is that the tiles and what-not don't have separators, but that was easy enough to deal with.

Maybe give a call and complain and give them a chance to make good. Sounds like you got a bad set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Parker
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya at first I thought maybe they cut it a little short? no dice the foam trays (both empty) just barely fit within the box so they aren't just cut a little to short. The fact that this is meant to protect and store things is disheartening when miniatures are poking out the top

I may still call them but I really honestly think they used black magic to make this thing fit in the box at all. Don't event get me started with the maddening puzzle that is the non miniature components of the game. took me a half hour and there is still a noticeable bulge on the box when it is closed so no storing it in a stack that is for sure.

Now that it is stored though I have to make sure no one plays it lol. Otherwise we have the second game of the night being the space hulk puzzle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That is not Depeche but rather
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got mine today as well. While I admit the wells for the figures weren't cut as nicely as advertised, I didn't have issues getting the figures into place.

Some of the figures required a bit of maneuvering, especially where Genestealer claws were catching on the foam, but that was easily resolved by pushing the foam aside slightly to let the figures drop into place.

Heck, I even managed to get every last piece into the bottom tray (including bagged tokens and a drawstring bag I added for the blips) without any issues.

I'm infinitely pleased with the product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't just sit there looking at faulty product.

Send them a message that something went very wrong and if they dont correct it *THEN* get irked. Its very possible you got what was to be a discard that, well, wasnt...

Never *ever* just sith there going "oh well thats XYZ$$$ lost."

First Example: I bought some food from a well known company and it had... Slugs in it. I called up the company and explained the incident and they rent me a packet of cupons to replace the boxes.

The other reason I called was to inform the company that they had a potentially serious problem.

Second Example: I bought some rulebooks from Sword&Sorcery that were literally falling apart. I called them up to let them know there was an issue at the printer end and their reaction was "Yeah? So what? We got your money now get lost." *THEN* I got mad and started doing something about it. And that was just the first of several incidents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Progmode wrote:
Some of the figures required a bit of maneuvering, especially where Genestealer claws were catching on the foam, but that was easily resolved by pushing the foam aside slightly to let the figures drop into place.

Which is actually how figure trays normally work.

*glances at his far-too-large a stack of cases*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reko Ukko
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, it takes a bit of practice, but after couple of times putting the figures in place, they should go in neatly. Nothing should be left outside the tray (if you look it directly from the side). Basically, I think there are only couple of figures which require a bit more thinking, the worst one being the wavesurfing genestealer.

But they do fit and I think they are a really nice and elegant solution for storing those figures (and game pieces).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Rodman
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmb
Strike one more for the cardboard box inside a box storage. The idea of the battlefoam is cool but really,, do you want to be messing around with this silly foam everytime you play the game? Not to mention it's not like the foam suddenly makes everything so secure you can pack the box around like you would an old copy of settlers. Heating up figures to bend them sounds pretty crazy

Works great, figures are tight in place, only takes 30 seconds to get them in their and doesn't cost $25+ I think a long card box like they sell at game stores would work just as well and you don't look like a fool in front of your gaming buddies loading your figures in for 10 minutes every time you wrap up a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel your frustration. My "wave surfer" Genestealer doesn't fit and stickes out over the top of the box. Also, I gave up on trying to get all of the cardboard pieces to fit in the other insert. It shouldn't take that much effort to pack a game.

Nevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
First Example: I bought some food from a well known company and it had... Slugs in it. I called up the company and explained the incident and they rent me a packet of cupons to replace the boxes.

I'm sorry, I think we're going to need a judge's ruling here.

SLUGS?

Um, yeah. What company was that? What did you buy? I need to cross that off my EVER EAT AGAIN EVER list.

Blech.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've not had a lot of problems with either getting the minis into the foam, or getting the rest of the components into the other foam (some are even still bagged), or getting both in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nevin wrote:
I feel your frustration. My "wave surfer" Genestealer doesn't fit and stickes out over the top of the box. Also, I gave up on trying to get all of the cardboard pieces to fit in the other insert. It shouldn't take that much effort to pack a game.

Nevin

This is the same problem I had with mine, and is my only gripe other than the 30 mins it took me to fit the cardboard in the other tray.
Looks like I'll need a second box for the game after all (I had to replace my cracked egg timer and the new one is too large for the foam tray as well).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb

bobthebobish wrote:
So just finally got my battle foam inserts from

http://battlefoam.com/catalog.php?category=66

and I wanted to warn anyone else who is still on the fence about spending $25 for what appears to be a great way to store the game: DON'T! The video's foam trays are totally different as they don't fit the form of the miniatures anywhere near as well. This made it impossible to tell what miniature was supposed to go in which cut out hole.

I printed out this picture and leave it in the box for reference:

Quote:

To top it off the foam itself is not actually thick enough. After examining the video and pictures and placing the puzzle together I got everything into the correct place but I still had to heat up and bend the plastic on some miniatures just to make the **** things fit without poking out over the top of the foamy landscape! Seriously I had geanstealer arms/heads poking out a good half inch out of the foam. This is where the box lid is supposed to go ever them so there is no way they will fit without breaking...

I can't speak to the quality of yours of course, but mine work just fine. That is too bad that you are having trouble.

Quote:

It looks to me that they were overwhelmed with demand and sped the cutting process up to facilitate the orders but I would have gladly waited another month for foam inserts that FIT and are easy to RECOGNIZE where things are supposed to go.

I've heard good things about battle foam but from this product there is no way that I would recommend them or give them another shot!

Did you contact them? that would be my advice...

I did give up on the bottom tray, I just can't make it work the way I want it to but the minis tray works great for me. *shrug*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Watney
United Kingdom
Welwyn Garden City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superflypete wrote:
jgerman wrote:

I'm not throwing my painted minis into a box jumbled together like that

Dip them in clear lacquer, like the DIP METHOD, and these things are frakking indestructible. We've played almost every night since I painted them, toss them back in the box hapzazardly and shake the box to make them settle - no damage whatsoever.

a quick spray of matt varnish doesnt hurt either

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
superflypete wrote:
jgerman wrote:

Dip them in clear lacquer, like the DIP METHOD, and these things are frakking indestructible. We've played almost every night since I painted them, toss them back in the box hapzazardly and shake the box to make them settle - no damage whatsoever.

Agreed. I Dipped my Space Hulk figs and I have zero concern about their safety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

I made my own spaces by cutting some foam I had and placed that in a chocolate box lid. I also covered that , but this time with a fine sheet of foam and the whole thing fits perfectly on top of well laid other components .

Why spent extra money if you have this sort of stuff in your garage or anywhere around your house !

I just wish the minis were aswell protected in their original box. A layer of foam would have protected the minis in their frames

Regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyoko Steeple
United States
Columbia
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
superflypete wrote:
jgerman wrote:

There's a reason Golden Daemon winners don't lacquer the crap out of their masterpieces. It gums up the detail and combined with matte varnish, it causes the colors to come out differently.

If I'm going to spend hours detailing Terminator armor, even if I do knock the models with Purity Seal or some other sealant, I won't be treating them haphazardly. I'll be taking rather good care of them by storing them separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Rodman
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmb
MikeDowd wrote:
jgerman wrote:

lol, that made me cringe a little bit as well. I'm gonna custom make my own foam insert for just the minis.

How cute, you guys must be new.

Seriously after ar a while of messing around with the silly foam while your gaming buddies ridicule you, you'll realize that they aren't fragile at all and that you are just being OCD about your new toys which is pretty silly. When they have been properly varnished they can take a shit kicking. Mine are painted with $100 worth of Citadel paint I bought just for the game and I haven't gotten around to varnishing yet and there is no damage whatsoever and I've packed the box plenty.

And you guys with the foam can pretend that your tossing the box around because they are so secure, but I bet you are still carrying it like a pizza box, straight and level wherever you go, lol. Even if they were tossed in the game box loosely I'm sure they'd be fine.

Even if they were prone to scratching, which they aren't, I'd rather them get weathered over time then spend the money and time fussing around like it's a doll collection. laugh .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the company thought I meant meal worms. Which can get at boxes on the shelf no matter. These were indeed slugs. Biggest was about an inch long. Much like some people got their copies of a certain popular board game here damp and moulded. ahem...

Thats nothing compared to past experience with a Armour-Swift/Echrich AKA: ConAgra. While not quite Soylent Green. The companies quality product is drenched in human blood.

As for the inserts. The OP's problem was that they got and incorrectly cut set which escalated other difficulties.

ohbalto wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:

I'm sorry, I think we're going to need a judge's ruling here.

SLUGS?

Um, yeah. What company was that? What did you buy? I need to cross that off my EVER EAT AGAIN EVER list.

Blech.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.