Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard G
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Are there one or two rounds in the Move Goods phase with Standard Steam (the Standard Game phase overview in the manual does not say "2 rounds")?

Whether there is one or two rounds, can you upgrade your Locomotive in this phase for free, as in the Base game?

Aside: The manual is terribly structured for anyone uninterested in the simple base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Two. The standard rules clearly state that unless specified, the base game rules stay in effect. I don't know what the big deal is about having to read the base game rules, and then having to read a mere two additional pages to get the modifications for the standard game. Standard doesn't add that much, rule-wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pastabatman wrote:
I don't know what the big deal is about having to read the base game rules, and then having to read a mere two additional pages to get the modifications for the standard game. Standard doesn't add that much, rule-wise.

Standard takes away as much as it adds, and it's the rules it takes away that cause confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard G
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
pastabatman wrote:
Two. The standard rules clearly state that unless specified, the base game rules stay in effect.

I thought the missing words "or Improve Locomotive (2 rounds)" under Phase 5 in Standard Game Phase Overview could be intentional and a "specified change."

Given the shift in how the action tiles work, it seemed plausible only the player who seized the Locomotive action tile gets to upgrade his engine...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
pastabatman wrote:
I don't know what the big deal is about having to read the base game rules, and then having to read a mere two additional pages to get the modifications for the standard game. Standard doesn't add that much, rule-wise.

Standard takes away as much as it adds, and it's the rules it takes away that cause confusion.
But it's still not that big of a delta. If someone is having trouble following the standard rules, that's clear sign they're not ready for the standard rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Johnson
Canada
Quesnel
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard, we had the same problem as you.

Our group finally got it right on our 3rd play. We are experienced Eurogamers, and chose to jump straight to the 'Standard' game simply because we only get a chance to get together a couple times a month, and there are too many games, too little time.

We play such that there is no cost when selecting an Action Tile (the cost comes out in what you bid for your turn order). Then when you actually upgrade, you simply pay the dollar value of the locomotive level you are upgrading to.

During the Ship Goods phase, and you choose to instead upgrade your loco, you pay the same amount - the value of the level you are upgrading to. With your two chances to ship per turn, you only get to upgrade once. If you choose the upgrade loco tile, you can upgrade again during your ship goods phase, but only once. That gets quite costly, and I don't think has ever happened in any of the games I've played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KR1S wrote:
We play such that there is no cost when selecting an Action Tile (the cost comes out in what you bid for your turn order). Then when you actually upgrade, you simply pay the dollar value of the locomotive level you are upgrading to.

You don't pay that when you upgrade. You pay that at the end of each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Johnson
Canada
Quesnel
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
KR1S wrote:

You don't pay that when you upgrade. You pay that at the end of each turn.

Correct, maintenance cost is at end of turn.

But you just cleared something for me. I've always asscotiated the cost of the tile to the 4$ printed on the tile. The second half of the cost (the amount of the level you are moving to) always slipped into our games whether we were playing the standard game, or base game.

I now know that part of the cost gets waived in the Standard game when choosing the loco card.

Thanks for that.

(Now to explain to my group, hopefully for the last time, how to properly play the game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.