Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on Normandy mission 4. It would be interesting to hear how far others have made it to date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Lenting
Netherlands
Wageningen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently I am playing mission 1 of the Normandy campaign. It is the first time I am playing the game, so it is coming along very slowly... basically it is lying on my gaming table and once or twice a week I spend an hour or so to do some actions and read and re-read the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm done playing mission 4, and looking for time to start mission 5 of the Normandy Campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally going to move on to mission 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just squeaked through Mission 2 and am going on to Mission 3... squeaked is not the right word though. It was an amazingly bloody fight... with an effective and demoralizing last ditch counter attack by the Germans in the the last 2 turns. I was just about there and had almost achieved the second objective with all cards cleared of the enemy... not an easy feat in the 2nd Mission. So it took a second attempt but I made it. Unfortunately I lost some good men including my 1st Sergeant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Martin
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully going to play Normandy Mission 2 sometime soon.

I can't leave the game setup for long periods so I have to find days where I have enough time to play through in one sitting, which doesn't happen very often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikola Pajvancic
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished first mission in Normandy (on third attempt) but then Clash of Monarch intervened so FoF is on a standby...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it makes sense that most of us that are using the forum right now are in our first missions and trying to help each other and get help. I know there are some players in the Vietnam era from some of the questions. I wonder if anyone has played thorough all three campaigns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhialto wrote:
Currently I am playing mission 1 of the Normandy campaign. It is the first time I am playing the game, so it is coming along very slowly... basically it is lying on my gaming table and once or twice a week I spend an hour or so to do some actions and read and re-read the rules.

Have you tried using the example of play for mission 1? It really helps you to understand how things work if you haven't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yaboo wrote:
Just squeaked through Mission 2 and am going on to Mission 3... squeaked is not the right word though. It was an amazingly bloody fight... with an effective and demoralizing last ditch counter attack by the Germans in the the last 2 turns. I was just about there and had almost achieved the second objective with all cards cleared of the enemy... not an easy feat in the 2nd Mission. So it took a second attempt but I made it. Unfortunately I lost some good men including my 1st Sergeant.

Counter attacks are brutal. I had one on turn 3 or so of mission 2 and it really set me back a few turns. It was awesome to have an event like that in a game though. Thank goodness for the 2nd attempt!

Edit: spelling...sigh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If time and space are an issue - try VASSAL... there is a module for each period and it looks and plays great. Nothing beats actually pushing around cardboard chits and drawing cards... but it takes care of the problem of leaving it set up for a long period. Highly recommended.

scratched wrote:
Hopefully going to play Normandy Mission 2 sometime soon.

I can't leave the game setup for long periods so I have to find days where I have enough time to play through in one sitting, which doesn't happen very often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Quintero
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm on Korea Mission 1 attempt #2. Currently undergoing a counter attack, not the automatic one on turn 7. Its stalled because I'm playing it on Vassal and I find it annoying on my small monitor. The modules are really well done tho.

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Summers
United States
Potomac Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I got to Mission 5 I think it is and then took some time off to play RAF and DDay. I'm about ready to dive back into it though. I'd like to finish Normandy so I can try out Korea and see how different a different war plays in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moriarty88 wrote:
I got to Mission 5 I think it is and then took some time off to play RAF and DDay. I'm about ready to dive back into it though. I'd like to finish Normandy so I can try out Korea and see how different a different war plays in the game.

What did you think of D-Day? I'm considering buying it. I also saw a 1st edition copy of Squad Leader in our local Half Price books today. Then again, Ambush sounds like a lot of fun. It also sounds like Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear would be good.

I would like to pick up another solo game to break up FoF sessions.

Decisions, decisions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am loving D Day and I am doing exactly what you are talking about... taking a break from FOF and playing D Day. Great game - totally engrossing and challenging. I suggest you go online and order it right now. I also have Ambush - and it is a fantastic solo game as well... go on EBay and put in a bid right now or peruse the BBG marketplace. Conflict of Heroes... 2 player... but also an excellent game... go down to you local game store and but it... right now.

CaanDo wrote:
moriarty88 wrote:

What did you think of D-Day? I'm considering buying it. I also saw a 1st edition copy of Squad Leader in our local Half Price books today. Then again, Ambush sounds like a lot of fun. It also sounds like Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear would be good.

I would like to pick up another solo game to break up FoF sessions.

Decisions, decisions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got to the middle of Korea, maybe mission 3, before I had to move. I no longer have a big enough table/table at all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yaboo wrote:
I am loving D Day and I am doing exactly what you are talking about... taking a break from FOF and playing D Day. Great game - totally engrossing and challenging. I suggest you go online and order it right now. I also have Ambush - and it is a fantastic solo game as well... go on EBay and put in a bid right now or peruse the BBG marketplace. Conflict of Heroes... 2 player... but also an excellent game... go down to you local game store and but it... right now.

I have a copy of D-Day waiting behind the counter for me to come pick it up at a local game store. I will definitely try to pick up a copy of Ambush on line. I'm also looking at Lock N' load:Band of Heroes which just came out.

I am really enjoying FoF now that I've gotton past needing the rule book so often. Instead of one or two questions every turn I'm down to 1 or 2 every mission. Great stuff! Now I just need to break it up a bit so it doesn't get stale on me.

I'm thinking that when the new rules come out this game should really take off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leevi Rantala
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played the first part of mission 3 in Normandy and boy are these patrol missions deadly! surprise

My 2nd platoon was the first one to go on a patrol and 1/3 of them got wiped out. First there was a lmg-nest, which wreaked havoc on my point squad and then there were mortars, which obliterated my other point squad. In the end only one squad made it into the objective and the rest were scattered as fire/litter/paralyzed squads and casualties. The retreat was pretty intense, as the survivors picked up casualties as the retreated. 1st Sgt contributed also to the rescue effort by rallying the fled paralyzed squads into litter teams and sending them back to pick up the wounded.

Best game I've had so far!

PS. I'm a bit scared about the remaining 2 patrols, because if they prove to be as deadly as the first, then my next mission will be a lot harder as all those precious veterans get replaced by raw recruits. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.