Subject: Light games / card games that don't become boring? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sunny Fox
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
So lately my group has been shifting from more complicated games to ligher, quicker games and getting more of them in. Mostly because our game time always comes at night after a long, hard day, and no one wants to think TOO hard or get started on a potentially 3 hour game if only 2 hours are maybe available. About the longest thing that is played is a game of Carcassonne with all the expansions (and that DOES take quite a while).

What I'm thinking is I need some greater variety in our quicker games that always end up being selected. Here's some that have gone over very well:

Qwirkle
Hey That's My Fish
Pig Pile
Oh Pharoah
TransAmerica
Land Under
Bull in a China Shop
Frank's Zoo
Lascaux
For Sale
Metro

Some of the "medium length" games that are played most often:

Bohnanza
Ticket to Ride (3 main games)
Carcassonne
Cleopatra
Pirate's Cove
Colosseum
Tans der Hornochsen
Australia
Pandemic
Manhattan

There are others, but they have to be "planned for" in advance rather than "hey, let's play this one".

My latest shopping list has:

Fits
Gemblo
Qwirkle Cubes
Samurai The Card Game
Ra the Dice Game (oddly I have NO dice-centric games)

Hoping to add a couple of lighter, family-friendly games to the mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thijs Lauwbierkoffie
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
www.spellenclubapeldoorn.nl
badge
Kom spellen spelen bij de Spellenclub Apeldoorn!
mbmbmbmbmb
You're Bluffing! for more details about how good this game is see my review: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/370915

and maybe Clans
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Tichu can run a little longer, but its probably the only game that gets played every week at our game group.

You might also want to try Chicago Express, its heavier than what you've listed but its one of the better games that you can get through in under an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clans is a very good suggestion.

I'll add:
Lectio
Biblios
Through the Desert
Zendo
1000 Blank White Cards
Eat Poop You Cat
Tin Soldiers (4P only)
Klunker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sunny Fox
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
Thanks so far. I do actually have Clans, however I think it was only played once and many many years ago. I'll have to give it another shot.

I'm not exactly sure where to get You're Bluffing... OOP and looks like the current version is Koehandel Master and doesn't seem to be available yet.

Chicago Express sounds interesting.

I'll take a look through the others; Through The Desert has been on my "of interest" list for years now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin

Dist of Columbia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My :

Citadels is a great light card game.

Coloretto is also a great "filler" card game.

I prefer Ra over the dice version and it tends not to run that long either. If you want a dice game, check out Dice Town; it is fun, easy to learn and should play in about an hour.

San Juan and Caylus Magna Carta are a bit heavier, but always go over well here and a group of players familiar with the game can usually finish one under an hour.

Great avatar by the waythumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
You're Bluffing! is a great game, very nasty and cutthroat yet so innocent and cute looking. It is a shame it's OOP.

No Thanks! is one of my favourite filler games.

Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age has gone over very well with all the people I've played it with so far.

Shear Panic is fun and cute.

Small World is quite fast playing with the right people.

Ubongo may appeal as you mentioned you're considering FITS

Pyramid of Pengqueen is a game the some company should translate, though it is language independent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Winter
United Kingdom
Hawarden
Deeside
flag msg tools
badge
Someone gave me 88gg for a rules translation and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently enjoying Fzzzt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
6 nimmt!

The Carcassonne series as you should know holds in that time (well except if you use to many expansions)

Oregon might work too

Loot I have also seem used in that kind of situation, and For Sale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Mentula
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I recommend The Great Dalmuti. The game requires at least 4 players but it works quite well with any number beyond that. It is a nice and simple game to play while spending a fun evening with friends and the role hierarchy based on the previous game really adds up to the experience if the players play well their roles. Individual games don't last that long and the Greater Peon is always at the bottom of the society doing all the work in the game (shuffling etc.) and he even gives two of his best cards to the Greater Dalmuti each turn.

The real fun begins when the Greater Dalmuti follows his role and bosses the Greater Peon and make him do all kind of tasks (get a beer from the fridge for him and so on...). It is easy to enjoy the power while holding the crown and it feels even more satisfactory when you get to raise your status and see the former ruler losing his powers, possibly through a revolution. The game does not really have an end unless you want to apply a scoring system, but it is really fun to just play a round after another and simply have a great time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
I second Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age and San Juan and would add Guillotine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let's Play Two!
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of good suggestions here -- I'll add Cartagena.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sherwood
United States
Arundel
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't Stop (Extreme Edition -- http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/105672) -- for more dice games
Liar's Dice -- Again, quick dice game
Lectio -- Like Tichu, but wicked fast and much lighter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john guthrie
United States
silver spring
maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my group's current favorite for light games is Dice Town
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fairy Tale is my suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mierz
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider Metropolys. It's good with any number, it's got simple rules and great gameplay, and if you ever end up just having two people, you still have an excellent game to play. It's technically an auction game, though it doesn't much feel like it, due to the spatial element. With secret goals and such, there are elements of deduction/bluffing too. If you couldn't tell, it's one of my current favorite light board games. It only plays 2 to 4 players, if that's a factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Portobello Market should really fit the bill for up to 4 players.
Also, how about The Downfall of Pompeii.
Plus PitchCar or PitchCar Mini.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bowker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards + Light + Quick = Race for the Galaxy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Massey
Wales
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried Dominion? We've been playing this at work during our lunch hour two or three times a week for maybe six months, and it hasn't got boring yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
.308 Jake
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ricochet Robots is THE best! I have no clue why everyone doesn't own this game. It's cheap, plays any # of players, and can be as long as you want it to be. It's the best $20 I've ever spent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finca has been the biggest hit of the year with my group. It is easy to learn and scales really well, and has a deeper strategy that keeps things very fresh in every play.
Wasabi! is also cute, but we found that the puzzle fans in the house "mastered" it quickly and it doesn't see as much play any more because of it.
As for ones mentioned above, Can't Stop is a must buy now that it's availible again, Dominion is great if you don't have any CCG players in the house (it's too easy for Magic players to beat up on non card gamers), San juan is great as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin S
Poland
Warszawa
EU
flag msg tools
M s b S
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Citadels? I can also recommend Chrononauts, Guillotine, maybe That's Life!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are totally missing Catan. Very popular in my game group, very easy to teach and everybody is into the game all the time because you get resources even when it's not your own turn. There's dice for resources so anyone can be lucky and win and still there is strategy in where you place your settlements and how you expand. I own two expansions and is planning on getting the 3rd, I also got the 5-6 player expansion for the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
proclaimed wrote:
Cards + Light + Quick = Race for the Galaxy

I think that you score 1.5 out of a possible 3 for this response to the OP. R4tG is certainly a card game, and one that becomes quick once you get down the learning curve. But it's not a light game.

Fortunately, there's related but simpler game that will get you some of the way down the learning curve. I refer to San Juan, a fine game in its own right. It's a gateway to Puerto Rico, as well as to R4tG.

So, my initial recommendations include San Juan. And Through the Desert, although that's another kettle of camels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels, as someone mentioned, is a nice, not-too-long card game that scales nicely between 2-7 players.

Someone mentioned Dominion. I wholeheartedly agree with this suggestion. Get the base game. If it goes over well, get the Intrigue expansion and mix the two together.

Ra > Ra Dice.

Before the Wind is an excellent, surprisingly nasty little card game that takes about an hour. There are cheeses, apples and towels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.