Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have room for a bigger board, but screw it, I'll make room like I do for everything else. (Big dude living in small place)

I've been drooling over Dunwich expansion for a while (even cooler monsters than the base game!!) But then I looked into Innsmouth and it just looks totally nuts- (a gaggle of new Ancient Ones and they all look impossible to beat)
Can I jump right into Innsmouth, or do I need elements of Dunwich (or Kingsport) first???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the expansions are independent of each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's very little interdependence between expansions.

That being said, get Dunwich first. Innsmouth is the hardest, and Dunwich really shines the best when it's the only expansion in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Walton
United States
Springfield
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
Dunwich really shines the best when it's the only expansion in play.

I would say that of all the expansions.

However I do agree that one should by Dunwich first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Asplund
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Innsmouth is mostly independent. You will find a few odd cards (Epic Battle cards) that cannot be used without Kingsport Horror. Furthermore, you will have a grip of Personal Story cards for characters you don't have (requiring you to pick up Dunwich and Kingsport Horrors first).

As for which to get first... this is a hotly contested issue (obvious if you cruise the forum for a while looking at posts marked "which to get first," etc).

I normally advocate The King in Yellow because it's smaller and easier to manage but adds some general coolness; however, you didn't list that as an option, so allow me to get on point. I feel like Innsmouth Horror is a better designed set (to a certain extent) than Dunwich Horror as Dunwich feels too much like "more of the same" to me. With the exception of the Dunwich Horror monster itself, DH just adds new locations (some stable, some not) with new possibilities for gates; IH adds a new "stressor" factor via the Deep One Rising track and gives you a reason (outside of gates opening) to go visit the new town.

With respect to bits: IH adds Personal Stories, DH adds Injury/Madness, DH has new Unique and Common Items, IH has more Ancient Ones than DH (with more variants, twists), IH has two Heralds where DH only has one (via the FFG website), both sets add new monsters, both sets add new Investigators (although I think IH adds more), and DH adds new allies.

I've never been the biggest fan of DH because I've had a number of sour experiences playing it (games in which nothing happened in Dunwich, prompting the Investigators to pretend like it wasn't there). I understand that this experience is unique to me but it left a lasting impression.

You may want to take a look at the reviews. Overall, DH does not affect the difficulty as much as IH does. IH brings Ancient Ones with a lot more sadness, a board with a lot of soul crushing elements (including a new way to awaken the Ancient One).

Just my thoughts...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
I prefer Innsmouth.

It's an interesting place, it integrates smoothest of all the expansions, it has good character and GOO cards, and it balances/supplements the base set very well standalone. It adds more color vs Dunwich, and it's a more interesting and essential place to visit. (Sometimes Dunwich is active, sometimes it's not.)

Both Innsmouth and Dunwich use map vortex's to control the monster population, which works well. (Avoiding managing stuff like the 'outskirts'.)

Eventually you'll want Dunwich too- simply for the Injury and Madness cards. (These give characters various interesting weaknesses and phobias when reduced to 0 stamina or sanity, and you don't have to throw your items away.)

Kingsport is a waste of money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jimb wrote:
It's an interesting place, it integrates smoothest of all the expansions, it has good character and GOO cards, and it balances/supplements the base set very well standalone. It adds more color vs Dunwich, and it's a more interesting and essential place to visit. (Sometimes Dunwich is active, sometimes it's not.)

IH's biggest problem, for me, is that you get no items, mainly Unique Items are my concern. With just the base game UI deck, Elder Signs are much more common (too common IMO) than with a diluted deck. You could remove some ES from the UI deck, but I prefer to keep everything in.

Quote:
Both Innsmouth and Dunwich use map vortex's to control the monster population, which works well. (Avoiding managing stuff like the 'outskirts'.)

I've talked* about this previously (*to use a PC term ). DH does a lot better jos at funneling the monsters to the vortices than IH. In IH, the monsters can unfortunately do endless sightseeing from Innsmouth Shore to Factory District to Church Green and then decide to head back the same way, due to the way the arrows are pointing. In DH, 3 moves is a guaranteed vortex for a normal monster, 2 moves is very possible. In IH, Devil's Reef is key, if it's not open (or Y'ha-nthlei, but let's be real with that one ), vortex-threat is very minimal I've found. Fast monsters are the ones to worry about, they can double-jump to Joe Sargent's and avoid the back and forth trekking.

Quote:
Kingsport is a waste of money.

Yes, a true believer cool !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
There's very little interdependence between expansions.

That being said, get Dunwich first. Innsmouth is the hardest, and Dunwich really shines the best when it's the only expansion in play.

Agreed. Love Innsmouth but Dunwich fleshes out the base game a touch better imho. You'll want them both eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
IH's biggest problem, for me, is that you get no items, mainly Unique Items are my concern. With just the base game UI deck, Elder Signs are much more common (too common IMO) than with a diluted deck.

I have to say, once you have all the expansions, all the item and spell decks are leveled out to about the same size (pretty hyowge), which I thought was a nice touch. And Elder Signs are as common now as rocking horse sh1t . . .

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which makes those Investigators that start with Elder Signs that much more important

I'm curious, why do people not like Kingsport? I kind of thought the Rifts were a cool idea.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
shnar wrote:
Which makes those Investigators that start with Elder Signs that much more important

I'm curious, why do people not like Kingsport? I kind of thought the Rifts were a cool idea.

-shnar

I think most people think it is boring. No real reason to visit except to control the rifts. And no one wants to get stuck on rift duty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

Are you talking Fixed or Random? If former, Wendy is so broken yuk , if latter, it's luck of the draw.

Quote:

Quoting myself from the FFG forums:

"Boring board, no unstable locations (very few, if any monsters ever). Rifts duty: encounter at stable location, encounter at stable location... oh, be still my beating heart, the excitement is too much snore . Oh yeah, and what's with the crap of offering Allies at stable locations shake ??? And not just standard Allies, some of the KH ones are pretty bad-ass. I think Ma's has a shot at an Ally, not sure if any other stable locations do. Ma's with all expansions is 1 in 35, I checked the Harborside encounter cards, they give 1 in 7 shot at an Ally.

Overpowered investigators. Too many. AH, DH and IH all had 1-2 big 'uns (did DH even have one?), but also had their not so great ones.

GOOs are the only aspect of KH I would like (Heralds is so-so, I use Heralds, but don't feel any "must" in getting new ones), even if Atlach-Nacha would probably piss me off in most games . Or maybe not, with the current all-in combo (everything but KH), I haven't been getting that many bounces, so sealing him would still be my goal. Guardians? Meh. New monsters? Okay, though the monster cup isn't yet spilling over, it's getting fuller already."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no unstable locations in Kingsport? (Even though I own it, we tend to play with every expansion, so it's not really come up in our games yet).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
There are no unstable locations in Kingsport? (Even though I own it, we tend to play with every expansion, so it's not really come up in our games yet).

-shnar

Nope. On the Rifts:

"Because the dimensional barriers near Kingsport are so
thin, the area is plagued with dimensional rifts. These
are mobile tears in the fabric of the universe from which
monsters emerge if they are left unattended. (p. 8)

Yet Rifts never open in KH, only in other towns ???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the rifts only open in Arkham. But I didn't realize that no portals ever open up...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm gonna throw in my vote for Kingsport first. It's a cool town, the heralds are fun, the AOs will make you cry tears of blood, and Epic Battle is indispensable.

Dam the Man wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Nope. On the Rifts:

"Because the dimensional barriers near Kingsport are so
thin, the area is plagued with dimensional rifts. These
are mobile tears in the fabric of the universe from which
monsters emerge if they are left unattended. (p. 8)

Yet Rifts never open in KH, only in other towns ???

Yeah, that could have easily been changed so that they only open in Kingsport. Strange, that. The designers probably felt that monsters spit out on the Kingsport board wouldn't get in the way as much. Well, they certainly would if you're trying to close that open rift--after all, the doom tokens it adds don't care which board the rift is on cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I'm curious, why do people not like Kingsport? I kind of thought the Rifts were a cool idea.-shnar

Boring is the most common complaint. I'd go one step further and call it irritating.

The reason I think its boring and irritating is because it adds difficulty and lots of extra bookkeeping maintainance without really adding any "horror"ibleness.

What it does do is add a big bunch of tougher than average monsters and Ancient Ones and several better than average investigators.

It also attempts to make the final battle more horrible by suggesting players use the Epic Battle cards.

Innsmouth is FFG's best effort since the original game. It adds a lot of horribleness at the expense of some additional bookkeeping maintainance but less than Kingsport adds. It's really quite a fearful place with the police out of control, deep ones chasing you around and forcing you to stealthily patrol the town. The most active gate is in a location that you have hire a boat to get to and the boatman won't even wait for each to help you back. In Innsmouth a cult openly and brazenly promulgates is alien agenda very near where you depart the bus.

And that's not even the worse. It could turn out that you, yes you, are a relative of the deep ones and be transformed in the worst way. For sure, something fishy is going on over there. Something so big and evil you may even need the Feds to put it down.

Dunwich is a bit more friendly but there are lots of strange goings on. If things do get rough you can relax pondside at Harney's shack but usually you won't have time as you try to close the alien activities at Wizard Hill and keep the monsters from entering their vortex. Medical and psychiatric advances are available to help you along as well as another array of investigators and investigator items and spells.

Overall I'd relunctantly recommend Dunwich over Innsmouth as it ups the challenge signficantly over the base game and adds so many wonderful elements. For real Horror though, buy Innsmouth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsport appears to have a marmite effect on people. Some hate it others love it.

I reckon kingsport is good and enjoy the expansion. Getting stuck on rift duty clearly seems to be a hassle, but there are tactics for getting round it.

The kingsport encounters are more likely to be useful to investigators so far as I have noticed. This makes it well worth your while spending some of your time in the town. It would be a bit lame if you end up staying here all the time, in exactly the same way as it would be lame being stuck doing one job in Arkham central (clue gathering, monster sweeping, gate closing).

Variety is key to having fun with Arkham horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest problem with all the board expansions is the $1 cost to get back and forth. Money seems to be a rare commodity in our games, and spending on train tickets is a pain, especially if you get stuck on an expansion board with no money and can't get back into Arkham.

I'm starting to think about house-ruling a $0 cost for train tickets...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
My biggest problem with all the board expansions is the $1 cost to get back and forth. Money seems to be a rare commodity in our games, and spending on train tickets is a pain, especially if you get stuck on an expansion board with no money and can't get back into Arkham.

I'm starting to think about house-ruling a $0 cost for train tickets...

-shnar

Pfft, so you're poor at managing money in AH and irl . How's the SH3, shrink-wrap worn through from all the looking ?

Never had someone stuck on an expansion board with no way to get back. This is different from the investigator having no money, you can always team up, send someone over to give the moneyless investigator $1, though I prefer to only send people with $2 (or are going into DH to close/seal a gate, DH has a money place; of course, not in a Tsathoggua game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get 'em all (like Pokémon), but get Dunwich first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mageith wrote:
For sure, something fishy is going on over there.

God, I love a good pun!! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the ManPfft wrote:
so you're poor at managing money in AH and irl . How's the SH3, shrink-wrap worn through from all the looking ?

*eyeballs*

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This many posts and no one's mentioned DH's Madness and Injury cards?

These cards improve the theme of the game, but, more importantly, give the players a chance to recover after going unconscious or insane. Losing half your items is *very* tough on an investigator, and the Madness and Injury rules provide the alternative of keeping your items and recovering your Stamina and Sanity, at the cost of an almost permanent liability.

I play with the Injury and Madness cards in *every* game of AH, regardless of which expansion I'm playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
This many posts and no one's mentioned DH's Madness and Injury cards?

"Medical and psychiatric advances are available to help you along as well as another array of investigators and investigator items and spells."
Too subtle I guess.

Quote:
These cards improve the theme of the game, but, more importantly, give the players a chance to recover after going unconscious or insane. Losing half your items is *very* tough on an investigator, and the Madness and Injury rules provide the alternative of keeping your items and recovering your Stamina and Sanity, at the cost of an almost permanent liability.

It IS a permanent liability, but sometimes is a very small insignificant liability.

These cards also save a turn if you plan on healing and curing up. Most of my group, however, only take them as a last resort, late in the game, in desparation. And that's after I "improved" them, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.