Tim Synge
United Kingdom
NEWTON ABBOT
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Go get 'em, Floyd.
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this game back in about 2001 when Harry Potter was still a relatively new phenomenon. We tried the game a few times and I gave it away to a charity shop very quickly. I wrote a review for amazon.com at the time and happened to stumble across it recently, so I thought that it might be of interest to post it here (with minor amendments). The review assumes some knowledge of the game.

I imagine that the game offers limited interest for younger Harry Potter fans, but there are three major problems with the game:

1 The rules
2 Omissions from the rules
3 The box (in the UK at least)

The rules are APPALLING. Did anyone from Mattel ever play-test this game prior to releasing it? OK guys, we know and you know that you'll sell a shedload anyway, whether it's good or not, but why couldn't you have endeavoured to put in that last few percent of effort that would make this game work properly?

Who ever saw a game where the rules are by theme instead of chronological? Just because there are more quaffles than any other ball doesn't mean you have to go and write all you know about them before moving on. Why not write the rules chronologically? The fact is, it is possible to see a bludger before you have a quaffle in play and you have to go hunting through the rules to find out what to do. They are AWFUL.

Secondly, the omissions. What if you have played on all the quaffles in the pack and the golden snitch is in play? Yes, it happens. We just had to go on drawing bludgers and discrding on them till the first person drew a seeker. Dull way to finish a game... We seem to have to keep on adding to the rules to make it playable.

Thirdly, the carton. Why not look at the boxes that Kosmos in Germany use? Proper flat boxes, with inserts, that keep groups of cards nice. For another dollar, you could have done this instead of supplying a wallet that it is hardly worth keeping.

Other than all that, the game is quite entertaining. I would be interested to know what percentage of games are won by the person who does not get the Golden Snitch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.