Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall seeing one for "Last Night on Earth", which I thought was quite fair and justified. I was wondering had one been made for "Touch of Evil" - which Heroes are great compared to others which are only good (or poor).

Alternatively is every Hero good and reasonably equal to each other?

This includes Heroes from the Hero Pack AND Something Wicked. Response would be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Brownell
United States
Twin Oaks
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zfairborn wrote:
I recall seeing one for "Last Night on Earth", which I thought was quite fair and justified. I was wondering had one been made for "Touch of Evil" - which Heroes are great compared to others which are only good (or poor).

Alternatively is every Hero good and reasonably equal to each other?

This includes Heroes from the Hero Pack AND Something Wicked. Response would be great.

This could turn into an ugly thread.

I am of the belief that there is a good amount of balance, though there are some combos that can get tricky,,,(this becomes much harder to do as you add card decks, because your chances of drawing a given card decrease).

Isabella Von Took is considered by many to be overpowered because she can burn off resources to avoid taking damage. However, she has about the weakest set of stats overall, which means that her odds of DOING any damage are pretty small. She has never turned out to be a gamebreaker at our table because of how hard it is for her to gain Investigation tokens,

Playing solo games with a random group of heroes, I have discoved Victor Danforth to be kinda weak, but that's because he has a small Combat score and I had a hard time getting him an item that let him use another stat to fight, at which point he would have been a lot meaner.

So far, out of dozens of games, Danforth is the only one I ever groan about playing, though I haven't used Harlow Morgan or Lucy Hanbrook from the Hero Pack yet.

I will say that some characters are *flashier* than others: Karl is a grunt. Capt. Marcus, same gimmick (soldier) can shift militia around the board fighting for him, etc. High combat characters tend to get hosed against spectral adversaries unless they work their butts off to increase Spirit or Cunning. That said, high Cunning and Spirit guys tend to suffer against most monsters unless and until they acquire something that lets them use Spirit or Cunning to fight with.

So, in short, *I* think they are balanced...just some have an easier time in certain situations than others. Hope that helps.

Tommy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Tommy. That does help a lot. I knew it was a bit risky to ask this question, but I'm glad I've had a constructive response. I was being asked "which is the best hero to play" by my group and I really didn't have an answer. This will help explain the positions of the characters better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Brownell
United States
Twin Oaks
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zfairborn wrote:
Thanks Tommy. That does help a lot. I knew it was a bit risky to ask this question, but I'm glad I've had a constructive response. I was being asked "which is the best hero to play" by my group and I really didn't have an answer. This will help explain the positions of the characters better.

Honestly, with that I would just do random draws for the games. To ensure variety, just leave out the people you played in the last game when playing the next...that's what we always do, anyway.

Either way, glad I could help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hatfield
United States
Helena
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The apparent "power" level of various heroes really depends on the villain being fought against. Some heroes fair much better against particular types of villains, while worse against other villains.

I used to think the Adrianna was disadvantaged, until I saw her kick butt and takes names against the Vampire. I used to think (and another player still swears by her) that Katarina was a bit on the too powerful side, but I've seen her slapped around by Toy Cannons.

I've seen the Inspector rake in the Investigation like it was going out of style, but the heroes still lost pitifully because we couldn't stop the darkness track from lunging into total darkness and doom for everyone. The minions in that were almost non-existant, and it was all on the mystery cards.

I've seen a kick-butt group with Karl, Heinrich, Katarina, Adrianna, and the Inspector get completely overwhelmed by minions because the cursed Widow Jessica turned into a hoarder of corpses and kept unleashing torrents of minions upon the town.

So there are times when some heroes might seem very powerful against the villain. There are other times when those same heroes come across as completely ineffectual against another villain.

Thus, I would say there are NO heroes that are particularly "too powerful" or too weak in the game. Each have their strengths and weaknesses, and the game has interesting ways of throwing twists in the best laid plans of the heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.