Popular Tags: [View All]
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's a very general question but the comments I read have kind of opposite views on the matter..

First of all let me tell you I have the game for two and a half years now but I never got to play it. I bought it because I'm a big B5 fan, however I never found players willing to play it and it was forgotten for a long time. These days I am thinking of selling some of the games that I don't play and I was thinking of adding this one to the list since I've never tried it and I don't know if I will.

However, the B5 fan inside of me tells me to stop and to try and give it a chance. The Twilight Imperium fan inside of me though tells me that if I ever want to play a game like that I could play TI instead which is much better.

So, all of you who have played the game, is it worth it? Should I keep it or Twilight Imperium is so better that I won't miss it at all?

Keep in mind that I only have the 2258 set. No expansions and no extra races or cards. Are these adequate for a satisfying game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally really enjoyed this game, I had tried to trade it off several times, but I'm glad I wasn't able to. I would suggest playing with someone that's familiar with the system already if at all possible, but you should be able to get the idea by doing some test plays.

It's fairly intuitive and, I think, a very thematically well done game. There really wasn't any point in the game that something just didn't make sense or were balance issues became obvious. It's really a shame this system dies off.

Edit: I have the same selection you do, you should be able to play a good game with what you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Silva
Italy
CARPI (MO)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
avyssaleos wrote:
The Twilight Imperium fan inside of me though tells me that if I ever want to play a game like that I could play TI instead which is much better.

If you have never played B5 CGS, how can you state that TWILIGHT IMPERIUM is better?

BTW use the version 1.2 of the rules ... they are really improved compared to the version 1.00 provided with the 2258 base set and reading them you can "discover" more suitable way to enjoy it; but the game can be played with full satisfaction using only the base set of course ... only try to find the most updated version (1.2) of the rules (I can send them to you if you PM me ...).

You have no expansions and this is can be a little problem, because this game really shines if you add more players and factions (SHADOWS or VORLONS anyone?)

Roberto
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Molyneaux
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
The comic character Nexus, by Mike Baron and Steve Rude
badge
The comic character Nexus, by Mike Baron and Steve Rude
mbmbmbmbmb
avyssaleos wrote:

However, the B5 fan inside of me tells me to stop and to try and give it a chance. The Twilight Imperium fan inside of me though tells me that if I ever want to play a game like that I could play TI instead which is much better.

So, all of you who have played the game, is it worth it? Should I keep it or Twilight Imperium is so better that I won't miss it at all?

Keep in mind that I only have the 2258 set. No expansions and no extra races or cards. Are these adequate for a satisfying game?

If by 'better', you mean that 'TI has better production values', then yes...the newest version of TI has better production values. Plastic bits, etc. Is TI the better game? I'm not sure. I've not played the most recent version of TI, only the 1st edition. And I enjoy the B5 CGS a lot more than 1st edition TI. By a wide margin.

I would reiterate the prior comments...try the game. THEN decide if you want to get rid of it. What you have is definitely adequate for a satisfying game. But...it would be good to get a copy of the 1.2 version of the rules. There's a fair amount of clarification that's been added by that iteration of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you guys for your answers.

I'll probably try to play the game before deciding. Maybe if I like it I'll even try to get the other factions.

Btw, when I wrote that TI is better I was thinking I should write the word "supposedly" before "better" since I don't really know. However, as far as production quality is concerned there is a huge difference between them. Moreover TI offers many more options when it comes to races.

Now, as for the rules, thanks to Roberto I already have the 1.2 version (you had sent it to me when you found them - thank you once again!).

When I manage to play a game, I'll try to post a reply in this thread with my opinion of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TI is a great game about empire building with some diplomacy.

B5 is a good game about empire building with some diplomacy that is DRIPPING with the style of the TV show. Each race is highly modified to fit their race's style of play (The most dramatic example is the Shadows, who can have dormant ships set up on other planets, and can do the whole "what do you want," thing, forcing players to pay up if you do what they ask for.)

If you like B5, give it a try. If you are a general sci-fi fan, TI is probably more your style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flane
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, I am working on a Vassal version of this game now. Hopefully, more plays can be made online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.