United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've owned Three for All for many years and the game just keeps showing up on the table several times every year. It's a party game that I think is best described as a mix between Tribond and Catch Phrase. Of course, if you don't know what Three for All is then you may not know what Tribond and Catch Phrase are. Basically, get people to guess the three "clues" by giving hints other than saying the "clues" themselves. Then, a player may jump in and guess what ties the three "clues" together (like Tribond). It's not a great party game, but it's good and it is one that has somehow made itself popular with us.

We hadn't played the game in a while and when we took the game out of the box and pressed the button on the timer, we all had a chuckle as it sounded like a wounded component. The battery is apparently dying and the beeps and buzzes sounded near death.

The first round was Ma and Me against Mo and D. I'm usually pretty good at this game, but in this one I was having a lot of trouble getting the Tribonds. This game has a timer that beeps a bit faster as it gets closer to the end. Because of our suffering battery, when we ran out of time and the buzzer buzzed, we all broke out in hysterics. Frankly, it sounded like a sick person belching in slow motion gulp.

By the time the game was over, I had probably guessed just two of the Tribonds and we were demolished. As you progress through the game, you collect marbles and place them into a triangular holder which everyone seems to like as it is different than what you usually see. Their triangle was filled with marbles (I believe it holds 28) and ours had about 7 marbles. Hmmmmm.

We played again... this time Mo and Me against Ma and D. Apparently, I had warmed up as I started getting many of the Tribonds and Mo was doing well too. Meanwhile, Ma and D were struggling... more than halfway through the game, they had zero marbles. They made a bit of a comeback at the end, but it was never really close finishing about 28-12.

The last note about these games is that we've somewhat recently made an adjustment to the rules. Normally, when you get a Tribond right you roll an eight-sided die and get that many marbles. We don't have a problem with the fact that a die is used here, but the range of values is too much for our liking. So, we divide the number by two and take that many marbles. So, rolling a 6 gets you 3 marbles. This reduces the luck factor and it lengthens the games which are generally very short.

So, if you're going to play Three for All, I recommend that you divide your die rolls by two and go find batteries that have been sitting around at Walgreens for years to get the dying Buzzer effect!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.