Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Forlorn: Hope» Forums » General

Subject: Scaled-down Space Hulk? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can’t help but notice that Forlorn: Hope is very similar to Space Hulk with a marine player battling vicious bug-like aliens. Even the sequence of play, use of action points. and the space station corridors look similar. This is not a criticism, just an observation. I think Forlorn may work for me as a travel version of Space Hulk.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nevin wrote:
I can’t help but notice that Forlorn: Hope is very similar to Space Hulk with a marine player battling vicious bug-like aliens. Even the sequence of play, use of action points. and the space station corridors look similar. This is not a criticism, just an observation. I think Forlorn may work for me as a travel version of Space Hulk.

Congratulations on the first post!

I can't judge too well on similarities to Space Hulk since I've only played it once but certainly the theme is similar but then you can compare it to Aliens too!

I'm doing the graphic design for it and we have a little more comic book feel to it, not quite as dark and brooding. But still a splash of blood here and there.

We are planning for expansions with all sorts of interesting ideas which will hopefully keep the game fresh. All depends on sales of course but I think there will be great replayability in the game.

I'm putting finishing touches on Map B and Chris is busy with the playtesting so hopefully will be shipping soon. No exact date but shouldn't be too long of wait. I can't stop adding more doodads to the maps which I'm sure is driving Chris crazy! The map files are now each over 100 megs with all the layers of art. Makes my hardrive sad.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I started working on Forlorn about 8 months ago, when the Space Hulk reprint was but a gleam in Games Workshop's eye, and it was definitely intended to be in the same genre as that classic game. There are other influences, most obviously the Alien movies, but happy fuzzy memories of Space Hulk were a large reason for wanting to make Forlorn in the first place.

We've played the new Space Hulk and it's a brilliant game. I think Forlorn will certainly be easier to carry around, however... ^_^

We've put our own spin on things (the Xeno player gets Mutation cards, so the Marine player never is really sure what he'll be facing; integrated solitaire rules; multiple types of Xenos; Plasma Grenades; different Action Point system), but it's still fundamentally a limited number of doomed Marines against a nearly never-ending flood of Aliens fighting down cramped corridors.

We're preparing a new playtest version, with some fixes and tweaks to the current version. If you're interested in getting a pdf of the rules, send me a GeekMail.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Where can I get this game? I want it!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
milgate wrote:
Where can I get this game? I want it!

Glad you're excited to get it!!

You'll be able to order it from Victory Point Games' website. We'll post here when it starts shipping.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bottos
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Actually this game reminds me more of the old Ares game Rescue from the Hive.

anarchy wrote:
I started working on Forlorn about 8 months ago, when the Space Hulk reprint was but a gleam in Games Workshop's eye, and it was definitely intended to be in the same genre as that classic game. There are other influences, most obviously the Alien movies, but happy fuzzy memories of Space Hulk were a large reason for wanting to make Forlorn in the first place.

We've played the new Space Hulk and it's a brilliant game. I think Forlorn will certainly be easier to carry around, however... ^_^

We've put our own spin on things (the Xeno player gets Mutation cards, so the Marine player never is really sure what he'll be facing; integrated solitaire rules; multiple types of Xenos; Plasma Grenades; different Action Point system), but it's still fundamentally a limited number of doomed Marines against a nearly never-ending flood of Aliens fighting down cramped corridors.

We're preparing a new playtest version, with some fixes and tweaks to the current version. If you're interested in getting a pdf of the rules, send me a GeekMail.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Schaub
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There will always be room on my shelf for more alien nemesis skirmish games.

R
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nevin wrote:
I can’t help but notice that Forlorn: Hope is very similar to Space Hulk... This is not a criticism, just an observation. I think Forlorn may work for me as a travel version of Space Hulk.


I've been fortunate enough to be one of the playtesters for the F:H project. Your observation regarding the similarities between F:H and SH are valid and have been one of the concerns we've had in the forefront of our thoughts for a while.

F:H is a great little game on its own. While it'd be an honor to have F:H compared to SH, the last thing we want is for the public to think of F:H as a "poor man's" or "scaled down" version of SH. Not that that would necessarily be a bad thing (since SH is, after all, a pretty great game) but because we think F:H can be so much more than SH.

Right now, we're striving to find ways to make F:H stand out as unique and different from SH. Not just cosmetic changes, like giving the Marines different weapons or making a different kind of Xeno, but significant systemic differences. Differences that we hope will make for a more immersive and challenging gaming experience. We realize that because of the similar subject matter (human troops blazing away at bug-like creatures) comparisons between the two games are pretty much going to be inevitable, but we think that after you play F:H you'll find it a deeper, richer game -- even if it doesn't have the fancy plastic minis.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of your responses and I hope this thread has got the word out to more folks here on BGG. I see on the cover that cards are used? (That will certainly differentiate F:H from SH). How will they work?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nevin wrote:
Thanks for all of your responses and I hope this thread has got the word out to more folks here on BGG. I see on the cover that cards are used? (That will certainly differentiate F:H from SH). How will they work?

The game comes with 20 Xeno Mutation cards. Each scenario has a certain number of cards the Xeno player can draw at the beginning. Usually 2-4 (that could change, so don't quote me on that! ) They give the Xeno player various different bonuses. Most play on their turn though some can be played on the Marines player's turn. With 20 cards you'll have plenty of replayability since you only use a few each scenario.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
anarchy wrote:


We've put our own spin on things (the Xeno player gets Mutation cards, so the Marine player never is really sure what he'll be facing; integrated solitaire rules;


You got my attention with the 'integrated' solitaire rules.

~telengard
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
telengard wrote:


You got my attention with the 'integrated' solitaire rules.

~telengard

Solitaire rules grabbed me too. Forlorn is on my radar.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.