BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Suggestions

Subject: Geek of the Year awards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fortune
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Stare into my eyes and feel the irresistible urge to check out my profile overpowering you...
mbmbmbmbmb
The Geek of the Week award is one of the best things about this site; it makes BGG a community that appreciates top-quality contribution. Well how about an annual award? All GWs would be nominated to the "geek of the year" title and there would be a vote to determine the champion. There could also be other annual awards, both serious like "Best Image Uploader", "Best Session Reporter" and non-serious like "Friendliest Geek", "Funniest Geek" etc. I've seen this on several other websites and these votes/awards are always very popular.

Just an idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe ClearClaw has won the coveted Fun Murderer award in the past.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Nuts wrote:

In the contrary: I always have good laughs reading his contributions! He just doesn`t play the usual "common" game - I love that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Side note: "Geek of the Week" was not intended to be "an award", but as a way to offer a week under the spotlight to some less known users (but it later took its own life, eluding the control of its creator... go figure).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't want to rain on your idea, but a geek of the YEAR thing I think would be a poor idea. How to select? Vote? Thumbs? Aldie? What would it mean? And other categories - well it'd be like high school again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
duchamp wrote:
Mr_Nuts wrote:

In the contrary: I always have good laughs reading his contributions!

Seconded. Clearclaw is amazingly fun when he likes something, and when he dislikes something, he's so totally dismissive it's true entertainment. And when he's attacked for being a fun murderer, his defence is so dry and precise that it's a joy reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I love JC's posts. Sometimes I engage him in a little sparring just for fun. He's one of my favorite geeks!

2. I don't like the idea of a GotY. GotW was never meant to be an award, and so shouldn't form the basis for awarding someone a GotY. Hurt feelings are an almost certain outcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
duchamp wrote:
Mr_Nuts wrote:

In the contrary: I always have good laughs reading his contributions! He just doesn`t play the usual "common" game - I love that.

Me, too. But he also assured me several times that his posts aren't supposed to be funny. Then I laughed some more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, seriously. Look at his profile. Right near the top you'll see his fun murderer award, which is hilarious. The ability to poke fun at yourself is a prize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fortune
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Stare into my eyes and feel the irresistible urge to check out my profile overpowering you...
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
How to select? Vote?

Selection: each GW is automatically nominated to the award.
Vote: the GWs themselves vote, no one can vote for himself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another "nay" vote here. I understand the idea, and appreciate the sentiment, but I'd rather we geeks competed at the table than on the site. Popularity contests, etc., are lots of fun for the winners, I suppose, but depressing for the rest. More to the point, it turns most of the GotWs from interesting people we got a chance to know better into losers. They don't deserve that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.