Jenks
Germany
Eckernfoerde
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
badge
Lest we Forget
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy. I have recently bought 1910, and have played it quite a few times with 4 players, but now our visitors have gone, it is just my wife and I playing. We have played the Mega version, but it seems to always seems to degenerate into a ticket-grabbing exercise in the last few turns.

Which of the rule varients do you think work best with 2 players on the regular US board?

(As an aside, which is the best 2/3 player board iyho?)

Thanks,

Jenks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
The best 2/3 player TtR is Nordic Countries, in my opinion.

My wife and I play only that when it's just the two of us and we have a TtR bug to scratch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
.308 Jake
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played 1910 yet, but for 3 players the Switzerland map really works well. (With 2, I don't find it that much better than base TTR.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Cities works well. If i recall correctly the 1910 version was the better variant.

report back with your findings.

I agree, the mega game results in a rush to draw the most tickets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nordic is best 2 player board. Best variant in the 1910 expansion is the actual "1910" variant. A lot of folks will say Big Cities but I disagree - every time I've played Big Cities with 2p it has also turned into a mad ticket grabfest in the endgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Brousseau
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jedimusic wrote:
Nordic is best 2 player board. Best variant in the 1910 expansion is the actual "1910" variant. A lot of folks will say Big Cities but I disagree - every time I've played Big Cities with 2p it has also turned into a mad ticket grabfest in the endgame.

Agreed, Nordic is the best 2p board, and 1910 is the better 2p variant among the 3 1910 expansions. However I think the best 2p rule set on the USA board is simply the original TTR. You have to see it for yourself -- a lot of the best online TTR players mostly play the 2p USA version, and it does bring the most tension IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Smith
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would the people who like the 1910 variant be willing to say a bit more about it? Like, how does the collection of tickets compare to Big Cities, and affect the strategy?

Until now I had always heard people recommend Big Cities as the variant to play with two players. But now I'm interested in trying 1910, and I'm looking for a sense of what to expect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Brousseau
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bcs_ wrote:
Would the people who like the 1910 variant be willing to say a bit more about it? Like, how does the collection of tickets compare to Big Cities, and affect the strategy?

Until now I had always heard people recommend Big Cities as the variant to play with two players. But now I'm interested in trying 1910, and I'm looking for a sense of what to expect.

The biggest knock on base game 2p (not such a big knock as I said earlier, but still) is that east coast tickets are almost always a losing proposition compared to west coast tickets.

Big Cities changes the mix a bit by adding more east coast tickets, but there are still as many good west coast ones (for example, CGY-PHO is replaced by LA-CGY, etc.). Plus there's no longest route bonus so a big strategy element is lost -- sometimes it's the only way to win when you have mediocre tickets. Put simply, if you get eastern tickets in Big Cities, you can try to win on tickets, but you need a lot of luck. Best way to compete may be to keep the tickets that are easiest to complete even if they're not worth much (example: NAS-NY) and then claim 6ers all over the board, or even disregard tickets completely.

1910 has about the same west/east split as Big Cities, but has 2 different features that IMHO make it more interesting: (1) some of the new long tickets are bad and easily blockable (SF-WAS, PHO-BOS), which make them much riskier for the reward they offer, and (2) the 15 point Globetrotter (most tickets) bonus will likely reward the east coast guy.

In all, I think both games help solve the east/west problem that the base game has, but I think 1910 does it better. OTOH, luck probably plays a bigger factor in those games than in the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1910 has about the same west/east split as Big Cities, but has 2 different features that IMHO make it more interesting: (1) some of the new long tickets are bad and easily blockable (SF-WAS, PHO-BOS), which make them much riskier for the reward they offer, and (2) the 15 point Globetrotter (most tickets) bonus will likely reward the east coast guy.

In all, I think both games help solve the east/west problem that the base game has, but I think 1910 does it better. OTOH, luck probably plays a bigger factor in those games than in the base game.

You beat me to it. earlier in the thread I gave my humble opinion on Big Cities (i.e. Mad Ticket Draw Endgame). I think 1910 variant is better because it is essentially a more balanced version of the base game ticket/bonus set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.