Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
kronlin
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, I absolutely love BGG. It's my favorite time wasting website...

One thing that annoys me, however, about the site design, is that I navigate through the various interface >> buttons, and after I click on links then go back to the previous page, all my >> selections have been reset!

Is there some setting on BGG or in my browser that will keep the status of prior pages when I back navigate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
kronlin wrote:
One thing that annoys me, however, about the site design, is that I navigate through the various interface >> buttons, and after I click on links then go back to the previous page, all my >> selections have been reset!

Is there some setting on BGG or in my browser that will keep the status of prior pages when I back navigate?

I believe you talk here about navigation buttons that do not reload the page (i.e. the page is updated without reloading). If so, sorry, there is no way to keep the history - it seems there is AJAX involved which means Javascript which means every update is made behind the scenes and your browser is not even 'aware' something has been updated.

EDIT: as a hint, I may add that it's much easier to open new links in new tabs (Firefox and Opera support tabs) and close them once you're done with them. This way, you still have you 'selection' preserved and there's no need to use 'Back' button.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Spicker
Germany
Moers
Nordrhein-Westfahlen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sorry, I dont really get what you mean by that post, cant help you, i guess thats true for many others :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
kronlin wrote:
First off, I absolutely love BGG. It's my favorite time wasting website...

Yes, sadly this is just "one of those things"

Here's a trick that works in Firefox:

When browsing throught hose pages using the >> arrows, always open the threads using the middle button of the mouse.

That way, they open in a new tab and keep your place in the other.

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kronlin
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grouchysmurf wrote:

I believe you talk here about navigation buttons that do not reload the page (i.e. the page is updated without reloading).

That's exactly what I mean, navigation buttons that do not reload the page.

If not, then I guess I have to open every link in a new tab...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Spicker
Germany
Moers
Nordrhein-Westfahlen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kronlin wrote:
grouchysmurf wrote:

I believe you talk here about navigation buttons that do not reload the page (i.e. the page is updated without reloading).

That's exactly what I mean, navigation buttons that do not reload the page.

If not, then I guess I have to open every link in a new tab...

I do that, which sometimes leaves me with around 100 tabs open, because I think "thats interesting, you have to take a look at that" with all of those
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Using tabs is the best way for now. Firefox has some tab management addons, but also remember that the item you last tabbed open will have a slight highlight to it: a dotted line around the text. So, you can open ten tabs, read and close them, then look for the dotted line to remember where you are in the original list.

When you start opening tabs from the tabs, then you're in real trouble.... laugh

Oh, and the latest versions of Internet Exploder also open tabs using the middle click (wheel click).

And should you not have a middle button, right click and choose open in new tab from the menu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Using tabs is the best way for now. Firefox has some tab management addons, but also remember that the item you last tabbed open will have a slight highlight to it: a dotted line around the text. So, you can open ten tabs, read and close them, then look for the dotted line to remember where you are in the original list.

When you start opening tabs from the tabs, then you're in real trouble.... laugh

I usually have 4-5 BGG tabs open at any given time. There was a period during which I had a dedicated window with up to 8-9 tabs, but I've scaled that back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:

And should you not have a middle button, right click and choose open in new tab from the menu.

Or even faster (which is what I do) is hold down the "ctrl" key and left click.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Nichols
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
GeneSteeler wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:

Even faster! Middle click opens tabs.

To the OP, it is a frustrating to run into this sometimes on BGG, but it's increasingly common on a dynamically generated web. Another trick besides tabbed browsing you can use is to open up the non dynamic forum page, which you can do by clicking on "Browse" just below the title "Forum." This works well for when I'm in a mobile environment and so tabs are a much bigger hassle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
danweasel wrote:
GeneSteeler wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:

(My laptop doesn't have a middle button, that's why this is secret magic stuff for us "should you not have a middle button" people) ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kronlin
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:
danweasel wrote:
GeneSteeler wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:

(My laptop doesn't have a middle button, that's why this is secret magic stuff for us "should you not have a middle button" people) :ninja:

On my laptop (without a middle button), clicking both the right & left buttons at the same time does a middle click.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Wisher
United States
California
flag msg tools
I know exactly what you mean, vince p.
BGG used to let you flip back and forth from page to page (the only way to browse games individually when looking at 100+ pages of games).

Now, when you go back after looking at a game - you may have been on page 32, but you always find yourself back at page 1.
And there isn't even a way to go directly to a page!

Surfing through games used to be easy up until a year or so ago - then the browser/web page format changed at BGG, and surfing through games is now a tedious chore.soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
you can always use the alternative way and choose the "Browse" link from the game forum module and then you get a full featured forum interface that will work like you want

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Wisher
United States
California
flag msg tools
jmilum wrote:
you can always use the alternative way and choose the "Browse" link from the game forum module and then you get a full featured forum interface that will work like you want

I like the sound of what you said, but I don't quite understand what you mean?.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
brianwisher wrote:
I like the sound of what you said, but I don't quite understand what you mean?.

ok, as an example, let's take the game page of Werewolf

scroll down to the Forum module, you could use the double arrows to page through all of the posts and have the problem you mention, or you could clink the "Browse" link that is directly below the word "Forum"

The resulting page will give you a more full-featured forum interface.

Edit: you can do this with most modules that have the 'quick arrows' for changing pages, they usually also offer the "Browse" option (such as the image module)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a way to browse photos (in default medium-sized display) in order of hotness without using the "open a bunch of new tabs" method?

For example, I go to a game's image gallery and order by hotness. I click on the #1 image and look at it. Is there a way from there to click to the #2 hottest image? The only way I've been able to do something like that so far is to open up the images as new tabs from the "small size" gallery display. It would be cool to be able to browse through them one-by-one in the larger sizes though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Is there a way to browse photos (in default medium-sized display) in order of hotness without using the "open a bunch of new tabs" method?

try what I outline above for the Image module instead of the games module. then change the "Sort" on the resulting page to "Hot" and click "Go". see if that gets you what you are after?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

try what I outline above for the Image module instead of the games module. then change the "Sort" on the resulting page to "Hot" and click "Go". see if that gets you what you are after?

Not really, b/c browsing the image gallery is the context I was describing. I guess you could click on #1, then back up, then click on #2, then back up, then #3, etc. But it would be nice to click to #2 straight from #1; I don't see that functionality there though. Once you click to #1, other than "back" the only links would be to the other images that were uploaded at around the same time chronologically to the one you're looking at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.