Eddie Mittelstedt
United States
Hampstead
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Based on these pictures:

I see a pattern where there is definitely a "path" that players seem to be following when building track.

I realize the driving factor is the cost of the terrain. So what would cause anyone during a game to deviate into the more expensive hexes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Yep, there are less expensive ways of establishing routes around the board. The problem is who gets them. If you're late to the party, you're paying double for the connection. The interesting part of the building is jockeying for the cheaper connections and hopefully getting a partner to chip in. ...And then there's the mountains--better be sure you have planned for a way to get through--the second through a given pass is going to pay through the nose.

The endgame photos all look about the same because of the important Coast to Coast bonus that most RRs should be striving for. However, the early and midgame can play out very differently depending on many factors (share spread/starting cities/cooperation).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheamus Parkes
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always pull out the transamerica variant I mentioned here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/413115

It would definitely force some companies to take inefficient routes. This of course would make the companies setup for efficient routes all the more lucrative. But it's an auction

I still need to get my copy to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.