9 Posts

Coast-to-Coast Rails» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First try with three players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a while since I received the game, but finally I was able to try this one out. Coast-to-Coast Rails is a simplified version of the Winsome cube train games. A major difference is that companies don't have treasuries, building is financed by players.

The share auction is interesting as well: winner gets two shares of the auctioned company, while the last passer gets one share for half of his or her bid.

Railroads then build track, trying to make lucrative coast-to-coast connections. You need some help from your friends, because building everything alone is expensive and boring. It takes some thinking to get the necessary edge over other players - you don't want to work with someone who's reaping more rewards from your work.

It's an interesting game, fairly simple but yet subtle enough to be interesting. The game takes some calculation, especially towards the end, but other than that it's just about as easy as it can be.

We had three players, which seems a bit little. I think the game'll be more fun with more players. Five or six should be interesting. In our game, Tero was able to get most shares from the first round and eventually he won our three-round game hands down.

I knew I was fighting with Petri for the second place and lost. A critical bit was when I noticed I could run the orange railroad to a coast-to-coast route on round two. Too bad I couldn't get the double shares, so it ended up split 3-3 between me and Tero. I did make the run, without any help from Tero. Not a good one for me, I think, if the RR was split 4-2 it would've been much better.

Final scores were Tero 370, Petri 215 and me 198.

It's a fun game. The biggest problem with Coast-to-Coast Rails is that I'd rather play Wabash or Preußische Ostbahn than this. There are situation where this one's much better, but with the people I usually play games with, those are fairly rare. Still, this is a keeper in my railroad game collection, it's certainly unique and interesting enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking that it'll fit a nice niche as a simple and fast-playing cube rails game to introduce people to some of the concepts. I'm hoping people who enjoy this will be readily available to play some of the slightly sharper Winsome titles.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose I could try to push this to the gamers who aren't that interested in the heavier train stuff, but I'm afraid Coast-to-Coast has too many a) trains b) calculations for those folks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:

It's a fun game. The biggest problem with Coast-to-Coast Rails is that I'd rather play Wabash or Preußische Ostbahn than this. There are situation where this one's much better, but with the people I usually play games with, those are fairly rare. Still, this is a keeper in my railroad game collection, it's certainly unique and interesting enough.

I don't think it works with three.

But, I only like Wabash with three (four with the expansion), and I PO won't play 5 or 6 like this should.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd sure like to give Coast-to-Coast Rails a go with more players, but so far it hasn't made it - I don't have enough time to try all the new games I have and get repeat plays on top-notch games, not to mention second-tier games like this one (good, but not exceptional).

I do like Wabash with four and would like to try Ostbahn with five.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:

I ... would like to try Ostbahn with five.

Love it with three, it works with four, I have no desire for five.

I'm hoping this will be great with five or six.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
[shameless plug]

Nothing against Coast to Coast Rails (which I can't comment on as I've yet to play), but if you are looking for a cube rail game designed specifically for five, I suggest you try American Rails.

[/shameless plug]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do have American Rails - I should really try to get it on the table soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Coast-to-Coast Rails was designed for 4, but plays fine from 3-6. More player chaos on the higher ends of course, but the balance between buying shares and spending money on building makes it work well throughout the range. My preference is for less player chaos, but the non-train gamers I've played it with seem to like that part!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.