Malcolm Green
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking for something different to play and found it in the scenario - Fire and Brimstone by Corey Koneiczka

What intrigued me, as a gunner, was the 2 board system (the Town and the Outpost) where one board set contained all of the objectives (the Outpost) while the other (the Town) contained the guns that were firing in defensive support of the Germans on the objective board. This certainly was something different and reflective of the situation.

On the Town board there are 3 objective markers that represent the usually simulated off board artillery (which of course gave me a chance to use my painted Perrin and Pendraken figures instead of the objective markers). This board sees a local artillery defense against a Sherman and supporting infantry (with 2 engineers, for what purpose, I don't know?). The Allied task force is out to put and end to the firing by destroying each of the guns (they have an armour of 2). This helps their comrades on the objective board by preventing further artillery attacks while they attempt to take the towns on that board.

The German player gets 3 artillery cards (one per gun) that can be used from turn to turn against the other board (but not the board they are on!). When one of the guns is eliminated so too is one of the artillery cards.

On the Outpost board is the objective. 4 buildings must be controlled by the Allies by the end of round 7. The Allies have a Reinforcement deck in support but have a lot of open ground to cover. If the artillery is good, it will be rough going.

This scenario proved to be very entertaining with swings of momentum for both sides. Though in our first play, the artillery was way more bark than bite it was a fun element. Unfortunately there is a possibility of the 'uber' unit for the Germans on the objective board. One Flamethrower unit (which I bolstered with 3 elites and an officer) proved to be a mobile killing machine and assaulted every unit it could get close to with very fatal results.

I also thought with the uniqueness of this scenario that we might see a new specialization type and would like to suggest one here.

Forward Observer : +1 on the die roll for the Call for Fire and +1 on the die roll for Drift.

My opponent (wife) wanted a rematch as the allies citing a number of things she would've done differently (I don't blame her). So I thought it would be a good opportunity to try out the new Forward Observer specialization.

I opted to exchange the Flamethrower specialization for two Forward Observers (using the Recon markers from DotF).

I am happy to report, they worked out well! I liked how they better simulated the off board artillery and kept the theme of the scenario even closer than originally written. They also made the artillery worthwhile.

In the end, the Allies still lost (they captured 1 building only again) but the battle was certainly closer and much more entertaining.

Either way, this scenario is certainly one of the best games I have played of any system in a long time.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Goodfriend

Berwyn
Illinois
msg tools
mb
It's a beautiful and interesting scenario. (And your setup is beautiful and interesting).

Ultimately, artillery doesn't matter too much (as much as it should?) in ToI, and I had the same impression of this scenario. Whether the Germans still had the cards wasn't as big an effect as the Germans just having excellent, fortified units. It appeared strongly slanted toward the defense.

Still fun, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report. This is one I haven't tried yet. I'll get it in the queue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the town and hill tiles homemade?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Green
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:
Are the town and hill tiles homemade?

Yes, cast in plastic. I originally made them for M'44 but was delighted to discover that the hex size was the same in ToI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Green
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick edit on the Forward Observer for any who are interested.

Forward Observer : +1 on the die roll for the Establish Contact and Drifts one fewer hex (still drifts 1 hex on a roll of one).

This would mean that a unit with an officer and Forward Observer specialization would drift 1 hex on a roll of 1 or 2 for the Drift roll. We found this to be more fun than the original idea of +1 to the Drift roll (meaning that it would only ever drift on a roll of 1 if an officer is present).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.