SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday, I put the central heating on.

Today, I bought crumpets.

This evening, I am drinking tea, eating crumpets, with marg and Golden Syrup, with the central heating on.

Autumn has arrived.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
American society frowns on crumpets, so my daughters and I welcomed Autumn by drinking hot cocoa while playing Giro Galoppo with the heat on. It was nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I bought some shoes from a drug dealer. I don’t know what he laced them with, but I’ve been tripping all day.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
We're far enough south that we've still got the air conditioning on (mostly for the high humidity). We did have it off last Saturday, and opened some windows to air the place out, but Sunday it got hot again and the thunderstorms drove the humidity back up.

We don't expect to have to turn on the heat until after Thanksgiving (approx. St. Andrew's Day for readers in the UK). The really cold weather won't arrive until about Christmas when the daily highs will only be in the 50s (4-10 deg C).

The people down here have no idea what real cold weather is like. They start putting on parkas when it gets below 50. And they will wear shorts with the parka. About the goofiest clothing selections I've seen is during winter in Shreveport.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
crumpets

Americans please note crumpet has another meaning in the UK that totally changes the meaning of Jon's post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love crumpets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:

This evening, I am drinking tea, eating crumpets, with marg and Golden Syrup, with the central heating on.

Autumn has arrived.

I wish there were such a thing as Autumn. It sounds very cozy -- dare I say gemütlich. What a nice myth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
EYE of NiGHT wrote:

Autumn has arrived.

I wish there were such a thing as Autumn. It sounds very cozy -- dare I say gemütlich. What a nice myth.

I'd heard about this Autumn all my life. But Never knew what it was. Then someone explained it to me.

It's that week and a half in November, when it's really nice outside, and it's not hot anymore, and just before it starts to freeze.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
11°C here. Wish it was colder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:

Autumn has arrived.

What kinda tea, Jon? Are you a milk or lemon guy? Sugar? How many spoons? Lots of butter on the crumpets? If so, do you retoast after buttering? (I saw that done on PBS once.It looked delish.)

You live in Yorkshire, right? I once heard it referred to as "the last place God made." That seems a bit harsh to me. Then again, I live near Camden, NJ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludocrazy wrote:
What kinda tea, Jon? Are you a milk or lemon guy? Sugar? How many spoons? Lots of butter on the crumpets? If so, do you retoast after buttering? (I saw that done on PBS once.It looked delish.)

Hello June. Being lactose intolerent, I can only use semi-skimmed UHT milk in my tea, and that's the only milk I take. One sugar is enough for me.

I vary my tea. I usually buy one tea, then when I get through it, switch to another. Currently I am going through Tetley tea bags, normal and extra strong (They were a bargain at the supermarket). The extra strong is too strong for a brew in a mug, so I'm using them in a pot. Otherwise I either drink Assam tea, or a Yorkshire brand called Yorkshire Tea. You can get it all over the UK, and I switched to YT a decade ago, when I lived in Croydon, sarf lunnun to you mate. It's a remarkably clean blend, very tasty and flavoursome without the concomitant crud you get in famous brands. You can get it in hard water blends too, which is unusual. I strongly recommend it if you venture over here. I avoid the lower class brands like PG Tips, and I never drink that ghastly Earl Grey. Yuk.

For crumpets, I go for a cheap supermarket own brand, and I toast them in the toaster, twice, rotating them between to get a good brown all over. I like them really dried out in the inside, and near burnt on the edges. More expensive brands are just too doughy and don't harden up well.

When done, straight onto a tea plate and then a good spread of margarine. I don't eat enough to get through butter before it goes off. Then a nice dollop of Tate & Lyle's Golden syrup. I spread that over and let it soak through. I eat the first crumpet, then lift the second and lick all the syrup off the plate, then eat the crumpet. If I time it right, I finish a pair just as the next pair pops up for turning.

I'm sure I have explained all this previously. Deja vu.

Quote:
You live in Yorkshire, right? I once heard it referred to as "the last place God made." That seems a bit harsh to me. Then again, I live near Camden, NJ.

I do live in York, but I hail from Surrey. Yorkshire folk are known for having a high opinion of themselves. I say what I like and I like what I say. It's quite insular here. It takes a while to get past the superficial friendliness to genuine warmth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Put' Kettle on and tell us more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Put' Kettle on and tell us more.

You know, I will. There are 4 crumpets left in the packet. I've had a busy day, recorded a little radio pilot on boardgames, did a spot of shopping. I need a rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mama Rat
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michigan tea and crumpets:

Hooray for cider mill season!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
I never drink that ghastly Earl Grey. Yuk.

What!? I'm crushed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
I never drink that ghastly Earl Grey. Yuk.

What!? I'm crushed!

So am I.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only Americans think we drink Earl Grey. Brits do not touch the stuff. We drink dark brown milky sweet strong tea. Stuff so thick, when you put the spoon in, it stands up straight. It helps us deal with trauma, which we face on a daily basis here.

And lady, welcome to Chit Chat and all that, but those are not crumpets. Those are doughnuts.

These are crumpets. These are raw, in that they need toasting first by the consumer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Only Americans think we drink Earl Grey. Brits do not touch the stuff. We drink dark brown milky sweet strong tea. Stuff so thick, when you put the spoon in, it stands up straight. It helps us deal with trauma, which we face on a daily basis here.

And lady, welcome to Chit Chat and all that, but those are not crumpets. Those are doughnuts.

These are crumpets. These are raw, in that they need toasting first by the consumer.

Oh! You mean English muffins!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
Oh! You mean English muffins!

No, you bleedin Yank, Crumpets. Muffins are something else. They are more like a doughy bun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crumpets are like bubbly pancakes, tasteless as a dry rock, and only good with lots of Jam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:

They sell these at Publix in 2 varieties. I love them!! You pop them in the toaster and slab on the butter. The butter melts into the crevices and pools (like maple syrup in the waffle squares) YUM!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:

Hey! MamaRat has been around for a while. Dust off your monitor and pay attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:

Oh yeah, sign me up. I love crumpets and I hate Earl Grey (Sorry, Jean-Luc). I don't care for teas with flowery "noses." The bergamot oil makes the tea too smokey for me too.

I want real butter though. How about honey instead of the syrup?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:
Hey! MamaRat has been around for a while. Dust off your monitor and pay attention.

Stalker!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everywhere I went in England it was "always" PG Tips.. Everywhere!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludocrazy wrote:
Oh yeah, sign me up. I love crumpets and I hate Earl Grey (Sorry, Jean-Luc). I don't care for teas with flowery "noses." The bergamot oil makes the tea too smokey for me too.

I want real butter though. How about honey instead of the syrup?

But a good cup of Earl Grey is so good and astringent! But if you like milky tea, EG isn't the way to go. It's nasty that way! Best to go for a good Assam.

And Jon, I do know what real crumpets are, you know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.