Popular Tags: [View All]
Ernie Darby
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok guys. I have been doing the board game thing for a while. I have gotten my friends into it and I think we want to get a massive game anything up to 6 or so hours. We are pretty bright but the easier it is to teach and play the better. This is what we play regularly:

Dominion
Ticket to Ride
Battle Star Galatica
Zooloretto
Pillars of the Earth
Settlers of Catan
Niagara
Jamaica
Puerto Rica
Small World

I have Civilization the Board Game but do not think it would be good for us, I am even thinking of trading it even though we all look at it and go ahhhhh.

I personally would love to try Here I Stand but am finding it hard to get a copy of it.

We like history and more so the ancient and medieval history. Also it needs to be able to handle 3-6 players.

Twilight Struggle looks great as well but it is only 2. But this idea of Card Driven games seems to be the direction we are heading. What we be some good recommendations.

Thanks so much guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think that Friedrich would be perfect. It isn't terribly long (3+ hrs) and easy to teach, but very fun and strategic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
You might consider Successors (third edition)

Good game and it handles 2-4 players.

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Renaissance really fits your description, but it's expensive and OOP.

Successors (third edition) is card-driven and fits your time slot at 4-5 hours, but I think you really need four players for it. It is essentially multiplayer Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage.

Have you checked out Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)? That's supposed to be good with 3, 4, and 6 (haven't heard anything about 5). Takes up to 6 hours. It is a Space Opera with armed conflict and technological development that borrows a central mechanic (role selection) from Puerto Rico.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Viktory II
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like the ancient and medieval periods, I'd suggest BattleLore or Commands & Colors: Ancients. Both play battles in an hour or so, and both have options of playing up to 8 players if you have two boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Goudeau
United States
Moody
Alabama
flag msg tools
Laissez les bons temps rouler
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll seconded the recommendations for
Friedrich Has straightforward rules but a lot of strategic game play,
and Successors (third edition) Well done faction style game.

Some alternatives in the historical genre
Struggle of Empires One of my favorite 6 player games. Each round you get to determine your allies and vie for control of colonial and European spaces. Brings home the adage "Keep your friends close, your enemies closer".
Britannia The FFG version looks great, and it captures the sweep of history. Only works with 4.
Last but not least
Sword of Rome Also enjoyed this one - with the Carthage expansion it can go to 5. Combat is a real crap shoot and can knock you out of the game, so there are some house rules to ameliorate the out of band results of combat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been some fine suggestions - Successors (third edition) is a good choice, as is Struggle of Empires.
You should also consider The Napoleonic Wars (Second Edition) and possibly Winds of Plunder (for something a little bit different thematically!).
Conquest of the Empire may be easier to find than Struggle. Fire & Axe: A Viking Saga or A Game of Thrones (first edition) could work too.

-R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.