Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: MMP [+] [View All]
Jim Pyle
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
What Price Glory?

Playtest Report

I recently finished a play test of this and it is one I will definitely be buying.

The game is an area movement CDG. Normally I’m not a big fan of these but in this case, due to the “Driven” in CDG not meaning you have to react to the cards you are dealt, I really enjoy it. For this game, you get to pick the cards you want to play in the coming turn. These range from four to eight or more “Tactical” cards and starting turn three, one Strategic card. So the cards in your hand are based on your planning for the next turn and once the turn starts, you are stuck with those cards. So be sure to pick some cards that can help you parry what your opponent does.

The tactical cards let you move or attack with a fresh unit. After a unit or group of units have attacked or moved once they become spent. But some tactical cards will let you do two actions in an impulse. There are also Battlefield Recovery cards that will let you flip a group of spent unit back to fresh so they can do something again later in the turn.

There are nine different Tactical cards and duplicates of some of them. Examples are “Esprit de Corps” which lets a group of units do more than one action in an impulse, “Coordination” allows two groups to do one action each in an impulse and “Steel Rain” with which you conduct an artillery barrage against an enemy group. One card is “Machine Guns” which you play as a reaction to an enemy group entering or attacking an area containing some of your fresh units. There are also “High Seas Fleet Sorties” and “Grand Fleet Sorties” to allow some naval simulation. All Tactical cards go back into your deck at the end of the turn so that each turn you can select from all of them.

Each side has eight Strategic cards. These include, “Trench Warfare”, “Air Superiority”, “Stosstruppen”, “Poison Gas”, “USA Enters the War” and “Tanks”. Each of these can only be used once per game.

Due to all the possibilities of cards to choose and play, the game will take some replays to determine the best combinations for your style of play plus not allowing the game to become stale since you never know what your opponent has chosen to do.

I think once people learn the system, it should be easy to finish in two to three hours. Like most games, until you learn the game and understand what interaction among the cards are possible, you had better plan on four hours.

Overall, I am looking forward to this one and plan on playing it many times especially if the game is successful enough to allow the East Front expansion to be published.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I had the opportunity the play the Eastern Front half of this game (which mechanically is the same) in a four-player session and I really enjoyed it. I very much recommend this one. Cards mix up the play and provide a LOT of variable options, but fundamentally you get excellent control, at least of your half of the war. Just a great concept and when it's follow-ons come along you get the opportunity for two, three, or four players (and apparently maybe even more -- I was not aware of the Africa/rest-of-the-war option when I played in January) all working more or less independently but fighting as teams for the same cause which is majorly cool.

Very pleased to see this one finally on the list. Let's hope MMP fast-tracks this critter as it's already up to 125 orders and it wasn't on the list when I checked a couple of days ago.

I've had two bogeys on my wargames want-list: Kingdom of Heaven and What Price Glory. It appears both may get published!

Sag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just pre-ordered this and I was wondering what effect Trench warfare will have on the game! I used to own a copy of Guns of August and it was sheer boredom. I'm excited about this series and I hope it will do well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Lee - in this game, trench warfare is an event (Germs get two, Entente get one)...you play a card and place a trench marker. It allows for defensive benefits in one area and adds to the VP total for the area as well.

So you don't have trenches all along the line (that is in the system and how combat works) but do have it in a place that might be more important that others (your Verduns for example)...so it is more about some areas being vital over others and a willingness by the defender to fight to the last for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.