Subject: "To be" or not "to be" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only seen this in one place: Pittsburgh. I went to college there, and though it was hilarious when I saw a sign on some gym eqipment: "DO NOT USE. Cable needs fixed."

I told some friends who were local, and their answer was, "What's wrong with that?" (One of the friends was from Ohio, and although didn't realize that this was incorrect English.)

So I think it's a Pittsburgh/Ohio thing. I bet the writer lived there at some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mays
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps this will help make up for it...

http://www.lolcatbible.com/index.php?title=Matthew_1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shogren
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Anyway, does anyone here recognize this oddball construction? Consider it proper? Know what region it is associated with?

Ummm... is poor English a region?

Seriously, is this writer actually getting published by someone? If so, and you're the editor, my esteem of writers has taken a hit and my respect for the value of a good editor has sky rocketed.

Style is one thing, but poor use of language does not equate to style.

Or am I missing something here?

P.S. Did I actually construct, like, that whole response, with like, proper comma use, or perhaps with some kind of regional style? Where is my "Deluxe Transitive Vampire" when I need it. Or maybe I should locate my copy of "Eats, Shoots and Leaves"

P.P.S Can you put a P.S. on a forum post that you don't sign?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, both of your examples of this usage seem to come from dialogue, and, as you yourself pointed out (at least regionally), this IS how some people talk.

Why would you feel the need to correct that? It adds realism, does it not?

I could see being worried about it in exposition, as sounding uneducated, but you've got a book about people with mental problems, and you seem to be concerned with trying to pretty-up their language.

I'd say don't worry about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yinz need learned on the still-tahn dialect n'at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I heard that a lot when in was in high school. In Western Maryland.

Edit: That and "youse guys." As in, "Youse guys want some pizza?" To which my English teacher would always reply, "No, wease don't."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
Edit: That and "youse guys." As in, "Youse guys want some pizza?" To which my English teacher would always reply, "No, wease don't."
What does your English teacher have against Pizza?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
Der Ain't nuttin wrong wit da way that der woman is Tahlkin. Take it frum ah naytive Picksburgher. She doan need anything fixed. Ah Axed all mah frens dahn at da bar, an dey said it sahns as right as Chipped Ham or Jumbo to them. Yinz jus need to be less nebby and picky an'at. Der's nuttin to redd up.

Quote:
Yinz jus need to be less nebby and picky an'at.

See? Pickburgers know wen to use "To be", Shakespear. Ah jus prooved it.

Picksburghese -- it's good enuf fer Dahnie Iris, and it's good enuf fer you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, trying to approximate the Pittsburgh Dialect and colloquialism in text can not possibly do justice to the true experience of hearing it spoken in person.

It is almost fun enough to make it worth anyone's while just to fly in for a visit, and arrange a tour with a native of the city. You'll see what you never imagined in the attractive skylines, and hear things more amazing than anything you would see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

Sounds Gungan to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paolo Robino wrote:
amwiles wrote:

Sounds Gungan to me.

Heh. Yeah, it does. But sadly, this was before the travesty that is Episode I.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.