Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend who was taught the game by Jay at RGG told me that the number of tools used to augment a roll cannot exceed the number of dice in the roll.

So, I cannot use all 3 juicy tools to augment a single meeple's wood cutting roll.

I'm pretty sure I've used all 3 tools to augment only 1 or 2 dice on BSW, but he pointed at the very badly stated section on tools in the RGG rulebook as evidence of the 1-tool-per-die limit.

Anyone else play this way? (one tool per die max.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never seen such a rule.

Edit:
the rulebook page 5 wrote:
Use: Each tool tools can be used only once per round to roll a die with the hunt or during resource procurement. A tool can be only completely used. Thus, it can split and used later for a different action. A player can add as many of his tools to a dice roll.
Page 6 wrote:
The player takes 1 die for each of his people figures on the hunt and rolls them all together. He adds all the pips on the dice. Then he can add as many of his tools to the total from the roll.

Which appears mangled. As many as you rolled dice? As many as the total? As many as you have unused? Add whatever missing words you think belong and play that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

That is not how it is explained in The Rules.

From the rules on Rio Grande Games Stone Age page:

Rule Book - bottom of page 5 wrote:

A player can add as many of his tools to a dice roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
The online English rules in this section give every appearance of being unedited output from translation software (are the printed rules the same)?

However, the German rules say

Quote:
Ein Spieler kann beliebig viele seiner Werkzeugplättchen zu einem Würfelwurf hinzuzählen.

This is quite clear - you can add as many tools as you want to a die roll. There is no reference (here or in subsequent sentences) to the number of dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:
The online English rules in this section give every appearance of being unedited output from translation software (are the printed rules the same)?

However, the German rules say

Quote:
Ein Spieler kann beliebig viele seiner Werkzeugplättchen zu einem Würfelwurf hinzuzählen.

This is quite clear - you can add as many tools as you want to a die roll. There is no reference (here or in subsequent sentences) to the number of dice.

Thanks very much to all for the replies.

Google's automated translation of the above phrase is:
Quote:
A player can have any, added many of his tools as a dice roll.

...which I could see being morphed into:
Quote:
A player can add as many of his tools as dice he rolled.

I'll talk to him again about it. For some reason I didn't see the incomplete sentence "A player can add as many of his tools to a dice roll." in the version of rules we were looking at. And I certainly didn't see the sentence in the Hunt example "Then he can add as many of his tools to the total from the roll." (But we didn't drag it out that long.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only limit is each tool can only be used once per turn. Anything other than that is totally up to you, all three tools added to a single die roll of 1, one tool added to three separate rolls, or whatever you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.