38 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Vote on your favorite logo! - Stratus Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris James
msg tools
You helped us select a company name...now help us choose a logo!

We have run a logo contest and received a ton of great submissions. But it's too hard to narrow down the designs on our own, so we're enlisting the help of the BGG community once again.

Please go to http://www.stratusgames.com/surveys/logos.html and fill in the survey. It will only take a minute.

Thanks in advance for helping to shape the future of our company! Also, stay tuned for some great games that we're getting ready to roll out soon.

Chris James
Stratus Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chris,

Not sure if this took over at the poll, so I'll say logos 5 & 8 are best, because they have clouds, which fits your brand.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of good logos in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris James
msg tools
I'm torn between whether or not there should be a cloud in our logo. It has been pointed out to me by multiple people that the logos with clouds in them aren't exactly stratus clouds, but are more of the cumulus variety. On the other hand, stratus clouds may be difficult to portray or recognize in an icon.

What do you all think? Would we appear ignorant if we choose a cumulus cloud for a logo?

Thanks,
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris James
msg tools
For those of you who have already voted (thanks!) we would like to inform you that Logo #13, the foot logo, has been "voted off the island". We replaced it with another. If you're interested, please check out the new logo and submit another vote just for #13.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about ignorance, but I think that the 1st logo is the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like logo 1 aesthetically... it's very nice, but it seems like it would be more suitable for a feminine hygiene product or something. A couple of the others look too much like technology logos. But 7 and 10 I LOVE! Both of those look like a company that sells fun games!

Regarding the cloud issue - the ones that are also a thought/talk bubble elements are just confusing - is it a cloud or is it a thought bubble? Neither are more enticing than 7 or 10 in my opinion anyway. The other two cloud logos - they're good, but again, not as fun or appealing as 7 and 10. And I'm not sure I would even be staring at it long enough to reason whether it was technically a stratus cloud.

Just my two cents.

Did I mention I like 7 and 10?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatul√Ľk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I'd go for 4,5 or 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
5 is probably your strongest choice, but almost all of these are way too complicated. I don't see a winner in the list yet...

A good logo should be memorable, not necessarily "fancy" or "cool." A good test is whether it looks good printed B&W and small. Almost all of these rely on color and effects too heavily.

My favorite I've seen of late: http://designdosage.com/wiesinger-music
Brilliant.

I'd give your team one more round...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Walker-Harding
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of nice logos!

I went through a similar process coming up with the logo for my self-published games (it isn't the one in my avatar, you can see it at www.adventurelandgames.com).

I think the key is finding a logo that communicates the character of your games. I wanted a logo which said: fun, reasonably light-hearted games with a rich often adventure-related theme.

Anyway, I thought the most helpful thing I could do is give you the "vibe" I got from each logo. Then you can see (for at least one person) what each one has communicated!:

1. Strategy games but a bit light hearted. Organised, clever but maybe slightly flavourless.
2. Sports games! I got a macho vibe from this one.
3. Kids games or more light-hearted fare.
4. Again quite serious and business-y. The black only version looks pretty great.
5. This is getting a bit more fun, but there is a slight tech-y-ness to the font. Also with all the finer lines, I'm not sure how good this would look small on a game box.
6. Ok, again a bit business-y and tech-y.
7. Fun and simple.
8. My favourite. A bit light hearted, but still some weight to it. Serious games but also some flavour and fun. Plus I think it would work great at any size.
9. Nice design, but a little generic. Any sort of game at all could be in the box.
10. Fun, maybe party style games is the vibe I get from this one. I do like the design quite a bit, happy and maybe slightly zany.
11. See 9.
12. This for me is like 8. Nice and clean, but some element of lightness and fun. Also a strong graphic image that would work in any size. Red might be a tricky colour to work with lots of different game box designs though. Maybe experiment with some other colours?
13. I like this, but it seems more like a videogame logo, very precise and almost manga-like.

So that was all of course my own subjective ramblings, but I do think it is important to go for a logo which communicates the unique feeling of your company, not just the one that is the coolest design in itself.

Anyway, hope that was helpful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ookami Snow
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like logo 1 and 9, my problem with 1 is that it really is just a nice logo, it doesn't have much to do with games. Whereas logo 9 is nice clean and conveys gaming (and not just any sort of gaming -the board game kind.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Boisselle
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Within the realm of color, the shadows often assume responsibility for the awkward shine of yellow.
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite is #9.

If my opinion means anything...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romian Tuesta-Vilca
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5, 8, 9, 10

I vote 8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely no contest... 5... DEFINATELY 5... Yes, 5... or perhaps 8.

hmmmmmmmmmm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris James
msg tools
West2 wrote:
5 is probably your strongest choice, but almost all of these are way too complicated. I don't see a winner in the list yet...

A good logo should be memorable, not necessarily "fancy" or "cool." A good test is whether it looks good printed B&W and small. Almost all of these rely on color and effects too heavily.

My favorite I've seen of late: http://designdosage.com/wiesinger-music
Brilliant.

I'd give your team one more round...

What do you think about the monochrome variety in logo 4? Also, I can see logo 8 being easily converted to a single color and standing out well in print. Do you agree?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris James
msg tools
We would like to note that we do plan on publishing a wide variety of games. We don't necessarily want to come across as only selling strategy games, for instance, but we'd like to have an appropriate logo for party games and all kinds of other varieties. Given this information, does this alter any of your thoughts?

-Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
gameman23 wrote:

What do you think about the monochrome variety in logo 4? Also, I can see logo 8 being easily converted to a single color and standing out well in print. Do you agree?

Thanks

True that 4 would work well monochrome, but the logo itself seems too abstract to the point of meaninglessness.

8 could work well - though dropping the cloud line into the S just to achieve symmetry is a bit distracting and contrived. Perhaps if the line just went into the top of the final S rather than trying to weasel into the bottom?

But even then, the logo conveys nothing of gaming. As someone alluded to above, ideally you want a logo that successfully combines the cloud and boardgame motifs. A pawn with wings (something like that could even become a character/mascot), or a cloud of hexagons, or, Idunno, something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, didn't see the other set of designs until just now... This one could be really nice - a die with pips made of clouds - but I'd lose the "S" concept and put - well pips made of clouds, probably the X-ed "5" result of a standard die. http://www.hatchwise.com/entry_detail.php?contestid=969&entr... - or even just a single cloud pip in the center?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for 8 but all my reasons have been used already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
8 is the most distinctive, communicative logo in the bunch, and there are a lot of great logos to choose from. But 8 is simply the best, will be recognizable from a distance, and doesn't look like other publisher's logos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
Find another designer. These are all terrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
5 and 10 might work for party games, but overall these are too overwrought for more serious board games. I think you need to find a designer with experience in the field or a board game enthuasist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurits
Netherlands
Capelle aan den IJssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote for number 9. Although I would like to see a little less white, so the image should be a little bigger. A square shaped logo (#9) is in my opinion also a good idea. Good luck with the company!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McCord
United States
Ionia
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
1, 4, 9 (the graphic could be a tad larger in #9)

The logo should reflect the personality of the company and its audience.
(Playful, intellectual, trendy, etc.) In that regard, #4 is less applicable to a range of products or customers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Simpson

California
msg tools
designer
publisher
The designers are falling back on the cloud imagery of the company name at best or just designing with quirky font types at worst. What might be causing breakdown:

Quote:
We want our logo to convey a balance of fun, excitement, creativity, and professionalism.

1. Keywords. People know what fun is but cannot define it with words let alone visually. Same with excitement, creativity, and I would dare to say professionalism.

2. Associations. People might connect fun with excitement or creativity but how many will associate it with professionalism?

Quote:
We want a logo that appeals to everyone, not just kids or adults.

Branding works the opposite of this -- highlighting to a target audience to gain recognition. If you really want to know who your target audience is, look at this site. You are getting the opinion of this crowd because you know this crowd will most likely buy your games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.