William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Quote:
WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama said Wednesday he planned to nominate an openly gay lawyer as the U.S. ambassador to New Zealand and Samoa. If confirmed by the Senate, David Huebner would become the third openly gay ambassador in U.S. history and the first pick by this administration. In a statement released from the White House, Obama said he looked forward to working with Huebner and is confident he will represent the United States well in the Pacific region

Phillip Elliot, "Obama picks openly gay lawyer for ambassadorship", AP Wire service, 10.07.09
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obama_gay_ambassador;

Now, if he had chosen Mr. Hueber to be the ambassador to a state like Saudi Arabia, his sexual preference would have been of some import. (IE- WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING???)

But in this case, I mean, who cares? As Chiddler has pointed out now and again, New Zealand apparently isn't going to be offended by this choice. The guy seems to be qualified.
Quote:
Huebner is based in Shanghai, where he handles international arbitration and mediation cases for a U.S. firm. A graduate of Princeton University and Yale Law School

And...to be quite honest... New Zealand really isn't as important as other postings. (Sorry Chiddler).

So why the lead that Mr. Hueber is gay? Given that Mr. Hueber isn't even the first gay Ambassador, merely the first gay Ambassador that Pres. Obama has appointed, is this really news? And to those who say that ALL appointments are equally important, why is it that I haven't seen the same type of article for the ambassador to Australia? A search for news on the posting of Jeff Bleich only shows news sites out of Australia, despite Mr. Bleich being referred to as a "Close Friend" of the President.

Or Austria, for that matter? A search here gives me very few current news articles for the appointment of William Eacho to this position in June.

And if this is 'news'....then why?

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I think we should send all our unused lawyers to New Zealand.

Whether they're gay, straight, bi, tri, quad, trans, shemale or just really ugly women. New Zealand certainly has the room and no doubt it would cause Chiddler to rethink his usual position that America is evil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
DCAnderson wrote:
Darilian wrote:
And if this is 'news'....then why?

The same reason anything trivial is reported: Slow news day.

I would MAYBE agree with that...Cept that the appointment of a personal friend of the President to be the Ambassador of Australia (a country which actually IS pretty important to not just our trade interests, but also military and regional interests), is, I think, MORE of an issue and it got LESS coverage in the United States.

Did you read the rest of the article? Its interesting..the writer makes a big deal talking about the President's relationship to the rest of the Gay Rights community and their political agenda, implying that this appointment was a 'sop' to their interests. Personally, I think that the appointment of an ambassador to New Zealand is so far off the beaten path, that that makes no sense- I mean, if I was an activist, I'd kind of a be a bit insulted that the 'big appointment' was the ambassador to New Zealand....

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
Everyone likes a piece of pie.
badge
That's wonderful. Good for you! I've always wanted to have a haunted house. It's been my lifelong dream!
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
...Cept that the appointment of a personal friend of the President to be the Ambassador of Australia (a country which actually IS pretty important to not just our trade interests, but also military and regional interests), is, I think, MORE of an issue and it got LESS coverage in the United States...Personally, I think that the appointment of an ambassador to New Zealand is so far off the beaten path, that that makes no sense- I mean, if I was an activist, I'd kind of a be a bit insulted that the 'big appointment' was the ambassador to New Zealand....

Darilian

Me thinks that this was a ruse so you could talk trash on New Zealand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Benjro wrote:
Darilian wrote:
...Cept that the appointment of a personal friend of the President to be the Ambassador of Australia (a country which actually IS pretty important to not just our trade interests, but also military and regional interests), is, I think, MORE of an issue and it got LESS coverage in the United States...Personally, I think that the appointment of an ambassador to New Zealand is so far off the beaten path, that that makes no sense- I mean, if I was an activist, I'd kind of a be a bit insulted that the 'big appointment' was the ambassador to New Zealand....

Darilian

Would I do THAT????

Darilian
Oh, in 1815 we took a little trip....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought was to check the author to see why he considered it news. Turns out he rights for a San Francisco newspaper and when I did a search of his published articles the first four hits had gay in the title.

Solved? Not really...those four hits are just two stories (gay ambassador and Obama's plan to address HRC) with the newspaper version and AP version, and none of the others are about gay stuff.

So I don't know, except that I imagine any "first gay appointment" news will be bigger in San Francisco than in the nation as a whole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Yah, I noticed that also- the only other links to this are on blogs that are for the gay rights movement.

Which is why I thought it was interesting that it was being picked up by them at all? I mean- why?

The only thing I can think of is that some of the blogs are so automatic, if the title has 'gay' in it at all, and its vaguely political, some of the bloggers pick it up.

All right- I'll give it a day, but right now, the consensus of the RSP is...."err?"

Darilian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
chiddler wrote:
Darilian wrote:
Benjro wrote:
Darilian wrote:

Darilian

Would I do THAT????

Darilian

er - whjat makes you think that relates to New Zealand?

Not a lot of Kiwi troops at New Orleans, dimwit.

Yes- but it annoys you. And thats priceless.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Something tells me Chiddler doesn't smile much.

More gay lawyers for New Zealand ought to do the trick though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
Yah, I noticed that also- the only other links to this are on blogs that are for the gay rights movement.

Which is why I thought it was interesting that it was being picked up by them at all? I mean- why?

The only thing I can think of is that some of the blogs are so automatic, if the title has 'gay' in it at all, and its vaguely political, some of the bloggers pick it up.

It doesn't surprise me at all that gay rights blogs picked up the story. Part of it is that, yeah, if you're a niche news blog you're likely to mention almost anything in that niche but also gay rights folks are watching Obama very closely right now. They're disappointed by some things that he's done and in particular by some things he hasn't done and many feel that he's made a deliberate choice to throw them under the bus in order not to give social conservatives another easy cudgel with which to hit him. Appointing an openly-gay person to any position is a minor but nice data point for the optimistic column.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beck
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Felix alearum famis! Et posse impares sumus erimus en tui semper favoris.
badge
Proprietor of The Bored Gaymer, BGG's most popular blog with the words "Bored" and "Gaymer" in the title!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully someday it won't be news- or, at the very least, media outlets won't feel the need to plaster someone's sexuality all over an article about them, because people will have gotten their collective knickers un-twisted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beck
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Felix alearum famis! Et posse impares sumus erimus en tui semper favoris.
badge
Proprietor of The Bored Gaymer, BGG's most popular blog with the words "Bored" and "Gaymer" in the title!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I should've chosen my words more carefully. I wasn't trying to imply that people were up in arms about it. Rather, what I meant was that hopefully someday people will get to the point where sexuality is a non-issue (i.e. un-twisting the knickers above) and isn't even ever mentioned, let alone turned into a headline of any kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
bjlillo wrote:
Darilian wrote:
Would I do THAT????

Darilian

It's 1814. I thought you were supposed to be a historian or something.

Pedantry only works when you're right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
JonJacob wrote:
The problem with lawyer jokes is that lawyers don't find them funny and no one else thinks they're jokes.

Why is that a problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JonJacob wrote:
The problem with lawyer jokes is that lawyers don't find them funny

Dude, how many lawyers do you know? Because I know a lot, and lemme tell you, "best lawyer joke" is an ongoing contest among lawyers here.

(My favorite: two lawyers walk into a restaurant, open their briefcases, and pull out sandwiches, which they begin eating. The restaurant owner comes over and he says "hey, you can't eat food you brought in here." The lawyers shrug, say "okay" - and then hand each other their sandwiches and start eating again.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Colonial One wrote:
Hopefully someday it won't be news- or, at the very least, media outlets won't feel the need to plaster someone's sexuality all over an article about them, because people will have gotten their collective knickers un-twisted.

The "people" don't seem to have their knickers in a twist. This "news" was greeted with a big yawn, with a lot of folks on both sides of the aisle wondering why this is even newsworthy.

I thought this was a more newsworthy (and actually troubling) ambassadorial appointment:
Quote:

That's right . . . Charles Rivkin, our newest Ambassador to France, is reponsible for THIS:

This is toddler TV. It's obnoxious but why troubling?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Colonial One wrote:

The "people" don't seem to have their knickers in a twist. This "news" was greeted with a big yawn, with a lot of folks on both sides of the aisle wondering why this is even newsworthy.

I thought this was a more newsworthy (and actually troubling) ambassadorial appointment:
Quote:

That's right . . . Charles Rivkin, our newest Ambassador to France, is reponsible for THIS:

This is toddler TV. It's obnoxious but why troubling?

You fell victim to one of the world's classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia. But only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!

Oh, and slightly less well-known, is if Drew might just be kidding he probably is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
JonJacob wrote:
The problem with lawyer jokes is that lawyers don't find them funny

Dude, how many lawyers do you know? Because I know a lot, and lemme tell you, "best lawyer joke" is an ongoing contest among lawyers here.

(My favorite: two lawyers walk into a restaurant, open their briefcases, and pull out sandwiches, which they begin eating. The restaurant owner comes over and he says "hey, you can't eat food you brought in here." The lawyers shrug, say "okay" - and then hand each other their sandwiches and start eating again.)

My favourites:

- Whats black and brown and looks good on a lawyer?

- A doberman.

- Two lawyers are shipwrecked on a tropical island. For several months they do their best to survive using makeshift fishing rods and building a crude shelter. With no sign of rescue their morale drops and with only each other for company they become dispirited and lonely.

One day they are excited to hear the sounds of a helicopter overhead. Unfortunately the helicoper crashes into deep water of the coast of the island and sinks immediately. They rush down to the beach to check for survivors and see a gorgeous blonde woman making her way out of the surf.

Waving and walking toward her one lawyer turns to the other and says "My god. She is marooned like us. And she is gorgeous. Do you think she will let us screw her?" The other looks the woman up and down and turns to the other contemptuously "Out of what?"

- Satan visits a lawyer's office and makes him an offer. "I have a deal for you" he says. "I'll increase your income five-fold. Your partners will love you. Your clients will respect you. You can have four months of holidays each year and you will retain your good health until you die at a hundred. All I require in return is that your wife's soul, your children's souls, and their children's souls rot in hell for eternity."

The lawyer thinks on this for quite a while. After a long moment he looks up at satan suspicously. "What's the catch?" he asks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.