Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Kenel
United States
New London
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After many months of planning and working with Carl Hilinski and the very talented Penny Hauffe I finally got my crokinole board.

Carl and Penny were simply wonderful to work with and I'm amazed by the work they have done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not what I was expecting to see on a Crokinole board,

But why not!! I think it looks great!!

Congratulations!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a story behind the painting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Johnston
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I was hoping for a Herky board, but I think this is even better. We need to know details behind this pic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kenel
United States
New London
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is indeed a bit of a story behind the painting but I'm afraid it will not really interesting to anyone other than myself and my wife. When we decided to drop the extra money to get a painting done we wanted it to be full of meaning for us. Not only did we want a great board to play crokinole for a long time on but we wanted both a piece of art to decorate our gameroom and something we could pass on to our children. Thus everything included in the painting has meaning for us.

The musician: Both my wife and I are huge fans of the Blues and this image is to capture that. I have a good friend, Will Whitmore, that plays the blues and his image was actually used by Penny for this painting. Thus the picture not only captures the blues for us but is also an image representing friendship and memories of home as a lot of Will's song are about the area we grew up.

The dog: I have had golden retrievers my entire life and think that they are simply the best.

The 2 flowers: Represent my 2 daughters, Emma and Morgan.

The river: My wife and I grew up in a small town in Iowa right on the Mississippi and have been river rats our entire life. I wanted to have the river in this picture to capture the important role it has played in our life.

The tree/season: We wanted an oak tree to represent strength and our love of the outdoors. Fall is our favorite season and we thought the colors would look great on a board. Also hidden under the black disk on the tree is a carved heart with the initials of my wife and myself.

Coffee: I'm a coffee addict. There is nothing better than a crisp fall morning with a good cup of coffee.

Probably way more than anyone cares to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Bezzant
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
"Everyone wants to be unique, but no one wants to be different."
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Thanks for sharing this. You certainly put a lot of thought into it and I think you have an even more beautiful piece for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haverty
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing the pic and the story. Here's to many years of enjoyment for you and your family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My Hilinski is my best gaming money ever spent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bulldozers
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GO HAWKS!!!

Lovely board! Thanks for posting the image.

The creativity in your design is tremendous and the dual uses (it is art and a game...) seem practical and of heirloom quality.

BTW...

I also am a river rat. (Muscatine).

Thats the town where I got bit with the gaming bug. This weekend I'll be returning to Iowa (havent been back in over 8 years...) to camp north of the UofI campus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.