Mage Knight» Forums » Rules

Subject: New rules and ability cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Monique Soileau
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Ok so I know they arent TECHNICALLY knew anymore, but I know there is a NEWER version of rules and ability cards out.

Recently my boyfriend decided he wanted to get back in to Mage Knights and bought a bunch of pieces from eBay. After opening one of his packs, he noticed that some of the pieces have different ability markers than he is used to. After doing some research, we can only assume that there is a newer ability card out than the Original one. We also realized that there is a newer, more balanced set of rules.

I have searched for hours trying to find the updated rules/ability cards but it's all been in vain.

If ANYONE has ANY information on the new rules/cards, I'd GREATLY appreciate your help!

Thanks,
Skweekie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is that the game is not being produced by the original company (or anyone for that matter) and they stopped supporting it. So finding stuff on the web is pretty tough.

There were 2 times when the abilities changed. The first was done when Whirlwind was released. That expansion added colored circles to the abilities.

The next time was when it was proclaimed Mageknight 2.0. Basically, suppose to be a more strategy based version, which really made a lot of old timers, myself included, upset that the old figures were useless with the newer rules. I don't know much about that set since I never got any of it, but it definitely was different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
A consolidated document with all the 2.0 rules and abilities can be found here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/2u875omqml/Mage_K...

I know a lot of people share SVan's aggravation about the rule changes in 2.0. Especially that the older figures didn't always fit well in the new rules - strategies that were effective with the old rules were nullified or weakened with the additional options available in the new rules.

However, there are also a lot of people (myself included) that strongly prefer the 2.0 rules over the 1.0 rules. In my case, I admit I didn't have a lot of 1.0 figures except for Dungeons figures when 2.0 came out, so my collection wasn't affected by it. And in my opinion, only some of the figures were really "obsoleted" by the 2.0 rules (mostly those that had Charge or Bound abilities). I'd recommend taking a look at the 2.0 rules and judge for yourself, as it really boils down to a matter of preference. I think the 2.0 rules offer a lot more options in terms of strategy, myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My greatest problem was basically changing the whole game, which worked very well and had plenty of strategy, to a game that included trading cards, etc.

Now in theory it sounded like a great move, but it did enough damage to basically kill off the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It did have strategy, but the options were limited (for good or ill). One thing I always hated about the original rules was the lack of a move-and-attack for most figures. Many of the games I played and saw turned into big dancing fests of trying to jockey for position, because nobody wanted to move into base contact, since the other player would get the first attack.

Obviously, there are many, many who feel differently, but my personal feeling is that the game started losing people not so much because of 2.0 itself, but because WK started adding new changes to each set, too quickly - IE, it became overwhelming for new players, old players (that stuck around with 2.0) started getting fed up with having to learn new tricks every single set (beyond just strategies for new figures), and the kicker was when they started retiring old figures. (That last bit didn't bother ME too much because I had few 1.0 figures, but it really turned a lot of people off, and rightly so).

1.0 was a good game, but in my area it was declining - sales were down. When 2.0 came out, it revitalized the local gaming scene, and I ran many tournaments during the 2 years of 2.0 that had more than 10 people attending (where the few tournaments I had prior to 2.0 were lucky to get 5 or 6).

Different tastes for different people, I suppose. I could never play a 1.0 game again, as I'd feel way too restricted in what I can do But that's just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I failed to mention the retirements, which is basically the same thing Magic does with type II. You're right, Mageknight was declining before Ver. 2.0, but I expect most of that was because of Heroclix.

The original version had some faults, but I believe a lot of them were fixed with the Whirlwind expansion.

However, right now, my Mageknight sits unplayed, while I play Heroscape more. I think Heroscape is a better game and much easier to learn, while having more strategy. The move and attack in the same turn probably help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think Heroscape is definitely a good... well, I don't know if "replacement" is the right word, but it definitely fills the gap. I too have a lot of MK stuff that I haven't played with in awhile, mostly due to lack of time. I'd love to break it out again. In fact, I've kind of toyed with making some MK-ish rules for Heroscape for simplicity (in some ways possibly similar to the DS game's movement on a hexagon grid, for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Yeah, I think Heroscape is definitely a good... well, I don't know if "replacement" is the right word, but it definitely fills the gap. I too have a lot of MK stuff that I haven't played with in awhile, mostly due to lack of time. I'd love to break it out again. In fact, I've kind of toyed with making some MK-ish rules for Heroscape for simplicity (in some ways possibly similar to the DS game's movement on a hexagon grid, for example).

I've thought about porting the MK game to Heroscape. I think it would work, although you'd probably have to half the ranges. But, I'm more likely to get rid of my MK for something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.