Russell Howell                (What's Right?) (What's Wrong?)        
United States
Canoga Park
California
flag msg tools
Brought to you by Zik Zak
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a little surprised to find a geeklist that I did not even subscribe to was showing up in my new to be read list. Is this a new predictive feature or has there been a slight tear in the fabric of the universe that has caused this item to appear in my list?

It appears that the geeklist I was subscribed to itself was listed in another geek list and therefore I was being redirected to that newly added entry in another geeklist to which I had not subscribed as if it were something that I wished to follow. Follow? Saavy?

If you have any further questions, the geeklist in question was: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/47078

Cool. Hope it all works out. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, same thing happened to me. I "blocked" that new geeklist.

When a geeklist is posted to another geeklist, then you get a notification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
It a "feature"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:
It a "feature"!

My computer science teacher liked to say that about C++

"It's a feature. You paid extra for that."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
Are you getting notification for items in the list, or just for the list itself? Can you please let me know all geeklists involved?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
Are you getting notification for items in the list, or just for the list itself? Can you please let me know all geeklists involved?

For the items in the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Canoga Park
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel,

It was listing that particular geek list under the "geek list" category on my new subscription items page. Each geek list that I was subscribed to that was added as an entry into the above listed non-subscribed to geek list were shown as new items that I had wished to see, as if I have subscribed to the geek list which I was not subscribed to and being informed of new items within that list. I did not screen cap the screen as I should have, but I figured that it was a passing item and would only mention it for potential brush-offery as nothing more than an anomaly in the matrix.

I hope this helps, but probably not as I barely understand what I wrote above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few games I subscribe to. Sometimes, if one of them makes it into a geeklist, I will continually get notifications for that entry until I specifically block it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
I really need very specific examples for both the geeklist that you are getting the "bad" notifications for, and the geeklist to which it was added. I'm not sure exactly how this is working. the more specific, the better--are you getting notifications for comments to the geeklist item on another list? for new items added to the "wrong" list? general comments on the wrong list? With specific links to the bad items. Also, if you can tell me in your subscription list which item it has next to the bad events in the Subscriptions column, that will help as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Canoga Park
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel,

To be precise and as clear as possible:

I am subscribed to the following geeklists:

I am NOT subscribed to the following geeklists:

Tony Ackroyd (1000rpm) created a geeklist (47018). I knew nothing about it. It is a geeklist of geeklists. Each and every item entry in the geeklist (47018) is a geeklist itself, not a boardgame, or any other type of item.

When he added item # 149 to his geeklist (47018), he added a geeklist that I was subscribed to (43745). In doing such, the subscription system informed me that I had a new item to read as if I were following geeklist 47018 (Tony's geeklist) for new items.

The exact same thing happened when Tony added item #176 to his geeklist (47018). He added a geeklist that I was also following (44893). Again, as above, this triggered a notification that a new entry had been added to Tony's geeklist (47018) as if I were following Tony's geeklist. I am not subscribed to Tony's geeklist.

I am following geeklists 43745 and 44893, but should I receive a notification every time someone mentions one of those geeklists in another geeklist or thread that I am not following?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
You should receive a notification when the geeklist is added to another list (but not when it is mentioned in a geeklist or a thread), the way the system is designed. You should not continue to receive additional notifications for the new geeklist (although perhaps you will get them for comments on that one item).

It should look exactly like it would look if you were subscribed to an game, had "geeklist items" turned on for the subscription, and the game were added to a list.

This is a bit of a side effect of the way the subscription system works. I suppose I could change it, but I think I could only change it for everyone--as the system works now, I couldn't make it optional, so I'm inclined to leave it as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Canoga Park
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
You should receive a notification when the geeklist is added to another list

Okay. Sorry about all the craziness of this thread. At least I am now prepared for this type of response from the system. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
You should receive a notification when the geeklist is added to another list (but not when it is mentioned in a geeklist or a thread), the way the system is designed. You should not continue to receive additional notifications for the new geeklist (although perhaps you will get them for comments on that one item).

It should look exactly like it would look if you were subscribed to an game, had "geeklist items" turned on for the subscription, and the game were added to a list.

This is a bit of a side effect of the way the subscription system works. I suppose I could change it, but I think I could only change it for everyone--as the system works now, I couldn't make it optional, so I'm inclined to leave it as it is.

Someone mention my name....?

You do continue to receive notifications (well, items on your subscription list) if someone comments on that item on the other geeklist.

I personally think this is a very cool feature. If I am interested enough in it to subscribe to a geeklist about, say, Eddie Izzard and then someone has that geeklist as an entry on their geeklist then there is a strong chance that I will be interested in that geeklist and certainly in the comments on the Eddie Izzard item geeklist on that geeklist. So it is great that it works like this.

The other great feature is that the author of a geeklist knows if someone includes their geeklist on another geeklist. I'd want to know if someone was doing that for one of my geeklists as it is sure to be of interest to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.