Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
162 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » PBEM » The Village Square

Subject: The WW Board Movie, Music, Book, Painting, Sculpture, Opera, Game, and Fashion Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgive the title. I just wanted to make a thread to talk about, you know, good books we've read, good movies, etc. It really serves many purposes. First it's fun to talk about. Also, we'll get recommendations from people we like. It may also spawn discussions for game ideas. So this thread may be a nice companion to the "Development" thread.

You like?

I'll start off. Here are my favorite movies of 2009 that I've seen (I'll post youtube links since I'm not a huge fan of watching embedded youtube):

1. Moon

2. Inglourious Basterds

3. Gran Torino

4. The Hangover

5a. Star Trek

5b. Public Enemies

---

There's many I haven't seen and want to. I'm really interested in seeing:

The Road, because I really really loved the book. I know the move won't live up to it, but it should be good.

The Hurt Locker, because it looks good, visceral, and it's been well received.

Shutter Island, because it's Scorcese, something different than he usually does, and I really liked the book as well.

---

Like to hear your thoughts.

Favorite book or books you've read this year?

Favorite any form of art you've encountered this year you'd like to adapt to WW?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Morphine
msg tools
mb
Loved 'The Road' as well kiss and it was actually the first theme I wanted to convert into a WW game. I figured it would be best to wait until the movie came out though, so more people would 'get' the storyline.

I figured Evil/Good should be reversed, with the Boy/Man as wolves and the Cannibals as villagers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh Captain! My Captain!
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Uhm, I'm gonna do overall instead.

For books it has got to be The Dice Man and The Shadow of the Wind, I doubt they are easily convertible into WW themes tho.

There is a Thrice album that's based on the elements; 2 CD's and each CD contains 2x 6 tracks for two elements, on volume 1 there is fire and water and on volume 2 air and earth.
As mentioned each volume has 6 tracks, and each sixth track is a sonnet used as a metaphorical perspective for it's respective element.

Each volume is furthmore spiced with acoustics/sounds and stuff that makes it sound more like it's recorded in its corresponding element. Could be awesome to see a theme based on that, but probably impossible.

This goes for some other concept-art-bands or albums, too I guess.

For movies something like Magnolia or Donnie Darko may be plausible, but again very hard. The Machinist may work.

Edit: Alternatively for movies I can just do this http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=39126776

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh Captain! My Captain!
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Snaak wrote:
Dekal wrote:
UEdit: Alternatively for movies I can just do this http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=39126776

Mine: http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=36659717

I detect compatibility! Nice! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val K
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
mbmbmbmbmb
I was at best buy last night, because my mutant came to pick me up after work and had to endure traffic so we went browsing to cheer him up, and bought "Mad Monster Party" on DVD. I only dimly remember the movie [Puppets!] but was thinking about making a game of it prolly after Zal & I do his birthday party game, which is horribly belated.. but also might not because I don't want to cut in on Sel&Karm's action with their Halloween party game. It just struck me when reading the back cover that you really have to make Dr Jekell & Mr Hyde masons..

I didn't see public enemies, but I read the book. Interesting stuff, tho I doubt most of it ended up in the movie. So many neat things flavor wise to put into a game.. I think you could do cool things there.

Some favorite movies off the top of my head.. Coraline, District 9.. GI Joe.

I also recently finished listening to the audio book "Fragile Things" by that Gaiman bloke. Some of the short stories were fantastic and some made me never want to hear his putrid nonsense again.

I also bought this game "Are you the Traitor?" and was thinking of trying it out here. I can't picture it working, but would be interested to see it tried.

I haven't seen Moon or Gran Torino either, tho they are both on my 'like to see' list. Saw Zombieland last week, because my mutant really wanted to and eventually I'm going to drag him to see Julie & Julia and needed the points, and it wasn't so bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val K
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cloverfield? Really? As far as I can tell you seem to have great taste in films Snaak, but Cloverfield? Gah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val K
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snaak wrote:
Valkerie32 wrote:
Cloverfield? Really? As far as I can tell you seem to have great taste in films Snaak, but Cloverfield? Gah.

I thought Cloverfield was brilliant in terms of setting an atmosphere. There are few movies that sucked me in that fast like Cloverfield did. I guess the camera technique really worked for me because I felt part of the group of main characters. This really made up for what the movie lacked on other levels, like originality, storytelling, etc.

Sometimes something very simple can be truly enjoying. So I think Cloverfield is highly underestimated by the so-called 'serious movie critics'

Well, I will admit that I am prolly biased by being one of the people it made motion-sick. After the first half hour I had to close my eyes and just listen, and peek briefly because of the splitting headache it gave me. Generally nausea doesn't improve my opinion of a film.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I don't watch movies in theaters much, but recently I saw both Moon and District 9. I highly recommend the all of the first, and the opening 30-40 minutes of the second, before the movie shifts gears and starts packing in explosions.

I am more into TV shows, which I download and watch in my free time. I'm big into Supernatural right now, which is about two brothers who go around hunting ghosts and demons. It's very gritty and bantery and makes me feel American. And recently my housemates have pushed me into the cartoon series Avatar: The Last Airbender, which can be juvenile at times but is generally pretty enjoyable for adults.

For books...recently I have been rereading the Song of Ice & Fire series because I'm excited about the TV adaptation that will start filming this month. I now have a bunch of extra free time on the bus, so I'm going to have to find other things to (re)read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:

For books...recently I have been rereading the Song of Ice & Fire series because I'm excited about the TV adaptation that will start filming this month. I now have a bunch of extra free time on the bus, so I'm going to have to find other things to (re)read.

I was gonna re-read ASOIAF when the new book was released. I've been waiting like 4 years.

He's never gonna finish, he's too busy reaping in money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
jageroxorz wrote:
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:

I was gonna re-read ASOIAF when the new book was released. I've been waiting like 4 years.

He's never gonna finish, he's too busy reaping in money.

You have the man confused with Robert Jordan, good sir. At least this author plans to finish his series before he dies.

But in all seriousness, GRRM loves his fans and is hard at work. The books are just too damn long to write at a reasonable pace. But he finished a Jon Snow chapter this week, he tells us.

In any case, it's best not to pester him about his writing schedule. I hear that any time someone asks him when the next book will be done, he writes in a death scene for another Stark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archidamia
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valkerie32 wrote:

Some favorite movies off the top of my head.. Coraline, District 9.. GI Joe.

I also recently finished listening to the audio book "Fragile Things" by that Gaiman bloke. Some of the short stories were fantastic and some made me never want to hear his putrid nonsense again.

I adored Coraline! It is the first movie I have gone to the theater to see in 3D and it was fantastic in that way. They didn't really focus on the having things jump out at you thing that 3D does a lot. They really made it more like it was a 3D set and you were sitting on the edge of it. It was pretty fantastic.

And I feel the exact same way about Neil Gaimans short stories. Sometimes brilliant sometimes just weird and strange drivel and you can never be sure what you are getting. But when he is brilliant it is good enough to be worth suffering the drivel! I was very excited that his YA book won the newbery-that is until I read it. It was good, but in the long string of high quality Newbery winners it doesn't really hold up. It was worth reading but in my opinion it shouldn't even have been a newbery honor book let alone a winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archidamia
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:

You have the man confused with Robert Jordan, good sir. At least this author plans to finish his series before he dies.

Harsh!! Oh, and the last one is out this month in fact. I am re-reading the Wheel of Time series in anticipation of it. It definitely has it's problems(especially once he spreads all the main characters across the face of the planet so they really each need their own book or he needs to move them back together) but I do love the world and can't wait to read the finish.

I remember he almost died during book 6 or 7 and I was worried he wouldn't be able to finish it then either. We'll see what they did with his notes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archidamia
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't really seen many movies this year but I have done some TV watching. i discovered Mad Men on netflix and I am enjoying that. I am trying out flash forward to see if it will replace Lost for me and so far it's interesting. I am hoping the Y-the Last Man movie is actually going to happen. And books I could go on about forever!

Anyone else like young adult and teen lit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Here to Help!
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The Computer is your Friend
mb
miraria wrote:
I haven't really seen many movies this year but I have done some TV watching. i discovered Mad Men on netflix and I am enjoying that. I am trying out flash forward to see if it will replace Lost for me and so far it's interesting. I am hoping the Y-the Last Man movie is actually going to happen. And books I could go on about forever!

YA is pretty much the only genre I will read willingly. I depended on my English major to get the "classics" in.

My favorite series is The Lost Years of Merlin series by T. A. Barron.

The Diamond in the Window by Jane Langton was one of my favorite books growing up and I still like to reread it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archidamia
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSparky wrote:
miraria wrote:

YA is pretty much the only genre I will read willingly. I depended on my English major to get the "classics" in.

My favorite series is The Lost Years of Merlin series by T. A. Barron.

The Diamond in the Window by Jane Langton was one of my favorite books growing up and I still like to reread it.

Yay! i read a lot of literature but YA and teen is my favorite. I have not read the Lost Years of Merlin series, I will have to check it out now! Have you ever read the Bartimeaus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud?

I am currently trying to collect all of the Newbery winners but it will take a while to complete my collection I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Here to Help!
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The Computer is your Friend
mb
miraria wrote:
Yay! i read a lot of literature but YA and teen is my favorite. I have not read the Lost Years of Merlin series, I will have to check it out now! Have you ever read the Bartimeaus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud?

I am currently trying to collect all of the Newbery winners but it will take a while to complete my collection I think.

I can't say I have, I will have to look it up laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archidamia
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been excited about Where the Wild Things Are since I saw the first preview for it. This makes me even more excited!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42679#
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archidamia
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So it's October so it is the month that Erin likes to get scary movies from netflix and creep me out. I admit I am very jumpy when it comes to scary movies so I like ones that are more tense than ones that are in your face jump out of your chair scary. i have screamed before-loudly-based on what is in the movies. And I get so worked up sometimes that he knows I will not watch every one with him-he has to pick and choose the ones he wants to watch with me and hte ones he wants to watch alone.

Also-they are almost always subtitled. He doesn;t want to watch one missed call the english bad remake version, he wants to watch the original(i THINK that one was korean?) make you pee in your seat jump out of your chair, land on the ground, and run into the bathroom sure someone is after you versions of the movies.

With that preamble I get to the point-I watched the first of this years October movies Let the Right One In-In Swedish Låt den rätte komma in. and while it is not jump out of your chair scary it is tense. It was pretty good-had some slow spots, apparently had to watch which english translation you get because one of them is dumbed down, but overall pretty creepy which is what I ask for in an October movie. I would recomend not reading too much about it before you rent it. I knew nothing about it and it made it much creepier trying to figure out what was going on. Erin knew just one thing about it and I think knowing that one thing-the basics of where the horror comes from-would have taken it down a notch. but knowing more than that would almost ruin it.

Last years overall winner from what we watched last year was a film directed by Guillermo del Toro El Orfanato-The Orphanage. I think that is my favorite creepy movie I have ever seen. It's another one that would be RUINED by knowing too much about it but if you are looking fro something creepy to get in the Halloween spirit i suggest taking a look at this!

Anyone else have recomendations for creepy, not jumpy, halloween movies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Morphine
msg tools
mb
miraria wrote:

In the list of scary-movies-with-subtitles (as were the 2 you mentioned), I would add:
[rec]
Janghwa, hongryeon
Ringu

In English, I enjoyed 28 Days Later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archidamia
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidenkinderen wrote:
miraria wrote:

In the list of scary-movies-with-subtitles (as were the 2 you mentioned), I would add:
[rec]
Janghwa, hongryeon
Ringu

I've seen 28 Days Later but it definitely falls in the jumpy category!

I will send those other recomendations to Erin. thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Morphine
msg tools
mb
miraria wrote:
davidenkinderen wrote:
miraria wrote:

[rec]
Janghwa, hongryeon
Ringu

Non-jumpy recommendations are tricky, since people have different levels of jumpiness.

Not really scary (nothing outerwordly), certainly not jumpy, but left me with an icky feeling afterwards (and it's foreign as well!): Caché. There's just one scene I can't seem to erase from my brain...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archidamia
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidenkinderen wrote:
miraria wrote:
davidenkinderen wrote:
miraria wrote:

[rec]
Janghwa, hongryeon
Ringu

Non-jumpy recommendations are tricky, since people have different levels of jumpiness.

Not really scary (nothing outerwordly), certainly not jumpy, but left me with an icky feeling afterwards (and it's foreign as well!): Caché. There's just one scene I can't seem to erase from my brain...

thats true, and my level is pretty low there, even the orphanage had a few jumpy moments for me. But to me 28 days later was MADE to make you jump. I will check that one out! thanks for the recomendations!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Morphine
msg tools
mb
miraria wrote:
thats true, and my level is pretty low there, even the orphanage had a few jumpy moments for me. But to me 28 days later was MADE to make you jump. I will check that one out! thanks for the recomendations!

Actually, please scratch my recommendations. They're too jumpy for you I fear. soblue Maybe they should be put on his 'to-watch-alone' list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val K
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend something, but I don't like scary movies at all either. The only reason I get dragged to them now and again is if I owe MyMutant big, or I want him to owe me [and by that I mean I get to drag him to see something he doesn't want to see - you would not believe how long it took to pay him back for making him watch "The Hours" with me]

On the other hand things with a vaguely religious bent [ok, NOT the exorcist or prince of darkness .. gah I saw PoD in collage and was so freaked out- lets just say I still get teased about calling my mommy past midnight to tell her how scared I was] like the seventh sign and the prophecy movies don't bother me. I'm looking forward to this "Legion" film I've seen advertised. When we went to see Zombieland they also had a preview for a new Freddy Kruger movie. [tho, when I watched it all I could think of was "Rorschach's Journal; I've moved to Elm Street. It doesn't look good." ]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elsie Rocketship
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
As you slide down The Bannister Of Life, let's hope the splinters are facing the right direction
mbmbmbmbmb
miraria wrote:

Audition. Is it even classed as a horror movie? Because it should be!

The Wicker Man (the original).

The Descent (although I've heard the US version of it has a different ending, which sounds stupid).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.