M Loebach
Canada
Crysler
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo

Please thumb up this post to attract more gamers!!

goo

A really great turnout this week (18 all together).
Thank you to Sean & Dean for putting away the tables.

The game I am really interested in hearing about is Ad Astra.
There seems to be a lot of strong feelings (especially on this site) but the feelings seem to be thumbs up or thumbs down, but nothing in the middle.

If you played it, let us know what you thought.

We played a card game called Genshi (sp?).
It is about using poetry to get women while they are in season and/or fashion.
It is a really neat, deep game.
Preparing poems for later seasons, cuckolding just before the leader reached home ... really neat.
Mark won this one. (Mark V for those of you counting).

If you played 'em, review 'em and tell us what you thought.

See you in 14.

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Genji
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy English
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was one of the five playing Ad Astra.

I quite liked it and would definitely play again.

I did think it was slightly long and would have been better to end about 20 minutes sooner. I think that we likely would have ended one turn sooner as well if it wasn't our first turn playing, and, add to that having to learn and figure it out.

I quite liked the scoring mechanism and thought it added quite a lot of thought to the game. Each player chooses when to play scoring cards and all players score off of them at the same time. There are different kinds of scoring cards so you obviously try and maximize which ones to play when.

Small issue with the scoring markers and first turn markers not being big enough or visible enough, trivially fixed with wood blocks from other games.

I quite enjoy games where you try and second guess what your opponents are going to play (much like Citadels which is by the same designer). It does add a bit of chaos to the game though which some players might find disconcerting since your plans don't always go the way you hoped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all,

I was one of the Ad astra players. I liked the game, but did't love it, so I guess I am in the middle. Would I play it again? Yes, it is good enough, or not that bad to not play it again. In general, I enjoy more my second play of a board game than my first.

Positive:
- Theme: I love space games
- Strategy: sure, what others do impact you but still you are the owner of your destiny and you can put in place a plan to win.
- Many ways of winning: After the game, I enjoyed thinking of possible action combinations to score points... what could I do to play the scoring cards and always get those extra 3 points? what if I focus in finding all the aliens first?
- Little down time: you are always doing something, it never felt boring

Negative:
- Frustration: things don't go the way you want because of the other players actions... most of what is being said during the game is complains about how bad things are going for each player
- Repetitive: Considering that it took like three hours of playing, the game felt repetitive towards the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.