flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.cbc.ca/dragonsden/pitches/soccerboardgame.html

above is the show listing with some comments

http://www.shopdragonsden.com/product.php?id=98

Soccer Tactics sales page in the Dragon's Den Shop

This was a very rough ride for the two brothers coming in to plug their game. The designer had a very closed attitude towards the investors and his brother had trouble showing that he believed in the game. One can hope that the exposure gained by being on the show will help somewhat but when you call one dragon a 'liar' and address them all as arrogant it's hard to feel sympathy for the man. Kevin Reilly and the designer had a bit of a verbal rowl and this soured the possibility for any cash going anywhere.
Having seen more and more of the games dumped at the local Value Village it makes me wonder if this isn't a sign of something bad for the designer in the future.

Catch the show on repeat though... it was interesting from start to finish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assume for a moment that non-Canadians don't have a clue of what you're talking about.

What?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hilarious! These are the same people who threw fits over negative reviews and fan-created boards and were so horrible that BGG finally completely erased all content from their game pages and locked them down. Eventually some sort of truce restored content, but if they called potential investors liars and became argumentative, it shows that they have learned absolutely zero from the BGG fiasco.

I wish I could see that segment of the show, but CBC apparently doesn't like to stream content to us Southerners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MSV Burns
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
Assume for a moment that non-Canadians don't have a clue of what you're talking about.

What?

They exported a version of the show to the U.S. called, "Shark Tank." Even has some of the same cast of gajillionaires, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
This will be quite interesting to see how the game goes.

The odd thing is that Soccer Tactics World has been available for a few years. The creators (Stein Thompson) caused a bit of a fuss on BGG a couple of years back when they asked for their games to be removed (see here).

About 4 years ago, a woman came onto the British Dragon's Den program with a game called Destination London.

It was rubbished by all the "dragons", she didn't present it very well at all, and it was a roll and move game of travelling round London (although you did get to draw a Traffic Light card when you got to a light (I think...))

Anyway ... Shortly after, people up and down the country were looking to buy the thing, they made a whole bunch more for other cities (if you search for "destination" you'll see, and they became a very busy company indeed.

And anyway .... It's a Dragon's Lair, not a ****ing Dragon's Den. Ooooh ... That bit really makes me mad angry

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Garbanzo
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moviebuffs wrote:

And anyway .... It's a Dragon's Lair, not a ****ing Dragon's Den. Ooooh ... That bit really makes me mad angry

N.

Maybe they mean Dragon's Den. The lair is the whole thing. The den is the part with a couch and a desk and a cleverly disguised liquor cabinet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
WTH? It's saying that I'm not within the REGION to be viewing that?!? c'mon CBC, this isn't any manner for "Shock-the-Monkeyology" we're talking here! oh, and I concur that it's also a freakin' "Dragon's Flair" if those rompous, stompous, pompous couscous suckling cynics should KNOW! sheesh! do they "venture capital" much beyond their narrowly focused vision-slits for anything?
shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.cbc.ca/dragonsden/

This is the main page of the Dragons Den. You can watch business owners try their pitches in the clips and then sometimes get eaten alive by the Dragons.

I've just been waiting for a bit to see the clip with the Soccer Tactics fella because they did advertise it as a bit of a scrap. It's a pity that they didn't get a chance to make a better pitch... they never really explained why they wanted the extra investment cash. Like I said above... the section of the show could hurt or help them... but I'm thinking that the designer comes off as a kook. His entire attitude was closed off from the start... I think he might of come with some unfortunate preconceived notions on how the whole thing might come down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
oh hey, anybody as of yet gone onto there for $1 MILLION so they can "do 2 chicks at the same time!" ? If not already, then kindly permit 'moi'!
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board games addict
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marqos wrote:
jdludlow wrote:

What?

They exported a version of the show to the U.S. called, "Shark Tank." Even has some of the same cast of gajillionaires, I think.

Shark Tank is a good show, been watching it. Its much better than Dragons Den IMHO. The interesting thing about Shark Tank is there are two investors on the panel with completely opposite philosophy's and they often clash, one is a billionaire venture capitalist who is the classic ruthless businessman who only cares about money, while the other is an internet guru tycoon who cares about people and has a heart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Canada has Dragons Den too?
I got confused and thought they'd gone on the English Dragons Den and were marketing it as "Soccer Tactics" to Theo Paphitis who is actually involved in ownership of a football club in England (Millwall right?)
Anyway yeah strange thing as the game has been out for a while. I did have it, it was ok but traded it away quite happily and lost any interest due to the furore.
I still prefer the "Fussball Taktik" name more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep trying to write comments here, but keep erasing them. One of my negative reviews was in the midst of the whole original problem and I would really rather not bring any further attention to them, good or bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was one of the people that had an ugly experience with ST regarding a custom gameboard I designed.

This actually makes me kind of happy devil

What goes around comes around I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:
I got confused and thought they'd gone on the English Dragons Den and were marketing it as "Soccer Tactics" to Theo Paphitis who is actually involved in ownership of a football club in England (Millwall right?)

Too bad it wasn't the English version. It'd be television gold to see Duncan Bannatyne tear into them if he was called a liar.

Wish there's a feed of the Canadian version in the U.S. I'd love to see this clip, and see how boorish their behavior...er...behaviour...was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
HamsterOfFury wrote:

Too bad it wasn't the English version. It'd be television gold to see Duncan Bannatyne tear into them if he was called a liar.

Wish there's a feed of the Canadian version in the U.S. I'd love to see this clip, and see how boorish their behavior...er...behaviour...was.

It was only the designer who had a chip on his shoulder. The brother who seemed to be there for support and mobile assistance was quite pleasant if not very quiet. It's a pity he didn't seem more emotionally invested in the game because he came off as a more reasonable person to deal with... of course that wasn't to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I LOVE the SHARK TANK, and was very stoked to watch those episodes when of course I was told I couldn't because I'm not Canadian. I went looking for a way to watch and found this:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080216202051AA...

I tried to watch a hockey game but the video player just said: "You are not in the correct region." I assume it's only available to Canadians. Do I need some kind of "proxy" to trick cbc's website to think that I live in Canada? How do I do that?

Of course in typical Yahoo answers the reply came back as:

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

You move to Canada.

Wow. I did laugh but I'm crying on the inside. I really want to watch this show!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
maydaygames wrote:
I LOVE the SHARK TANK, and was very stoked to watch those episodes when of course I was told I couldn't because I'm not Canadian. I went looking for a way to watch and found this:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080216202051AA...

I tried to watch a hockey game but the video player just said: "You are not in the correct region." I assume it's only available to Canadians. Do I need some kind of "proxy" to trick cbc's website to think that I live in Canada? How do I do that?

Of course in typical Yahoo answers the reply came back as:

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

You move to Canada.

Wow. I did laugh but I'm crying on the inside. I really want to watch this show!

Interesting - I always thought these things only worked in one direction. You now can relate to my reaction when I tried to watch "Robot Chicken" on-line and was told the very same thing. Even more interesting is that my block was accompanied with an apology...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.