Popular Tags: [View All]
Juanlu Bermudez
Spain
Málaga
Málaga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read that when another player plays the second card of a double auction, the original german rules differs from the english ones.

The original rules says that the total of the money goes for the player that completes the double auction.

The Mayfair rules says that the total of the money is divided between the original player and the player who completed the double auction.

Perhaps the rules were modified later by Knizia?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
hemp wrote:
The original rules says that the total of the money goes for the player that completes the double auction.

If that were the case, I can't see anyone ever playing the first card by itself.

Unless they were triggering the end of the season, I guess.

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I, personally, refuse to play by the rule were the money is split. The reason for this is that I feel the play of a single "double" card affects the game too much in an unbalanced way. The double cards are already very powerful. I do not want to boost their power nor encourage the play of a single.

Why is this move so game changing? it allows players to have their turn at auction taken from them. If the person to your right plays a single and you do not have a painting from the same artist, you lose your turn. Since the majority of your income is from selling paintings at auction, losing your turn can mean losing the game. Since paintings and the double auction cards are all dealt out at random, this brings a large random element to a largely skill-based game.

By playing by the original rules, the act of playing a single "double" is greatly discouraged. The only time you will see it is if there are already three of the artist in play, and the auctioneer is hoping someone else will end the round or possibly give them the painting for free.

Using the Mayfair rules greatly encourages this play, since there is almost zero detriment to the initial auctioneer. The money is split, so it's just like they played a single painting. They have no risk and are losing very little in the deal, yet affect the game greatly in a negative way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The other Euro guy
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy of MA arrived yesterday and I sat down to read the rules last night. Still not played a game so please put my post in that context.

I can definitely see how playing a single "double" is risk-free and potentially damaging to other "innocent" players who might miss their turn. Would it be viable to just decree that play-order continues un-interrupted? i.e. the next player to play would be the player to the left of the guy who played the original single "double"?

(sorry - that last sentence won't win awards in the campaign for plain-English)

What is the advantage of having the play-order jump ahead?

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An advantage is given to the player who played the "single double", since his next turn to auction will come sooner than usual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teacher Fletcher
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Original German rule. It reigns in the power of the Doubles, which is needed because otherwise the game can be thrown to whomever gets dealt the most Doubles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The other Euro guy
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Understood. Thanks all for the replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is some discussion about this here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/349150

The American rules do give the game an interesting cutthroat feel, but it does make the doubles very powerful. They're already pretty good under the German rules, so amping them up further seems a little much. Also, the turn-skipping is pretty nasty; if you lose a turn to a doubler at a critical phase when paintings are going for a lot, that can be the game right there.

Anyway, I like the German rules much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew of Mathematical Leanings

Modesto
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the Euro-rules. Person who plays a single double forfeits his turn to the person that matches it. (unless no one can match it, then he gets it for free.

Splitting the money evenly, as mentioned above, is too powerful for the person playing the double. Even if the next person in line can match and doesn't forfeit a turn, you can force him into playing something he doesn't necessarily want to play.

I've wondered what effect a 20-80 (in favour of the person matching) split would do to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.