Gary Laporte
France
Limeil-Brevannes
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
Another thread to see this time what people are thinking about New Caprica and if a lot of people have enjoyable games with it. Just like the Cylon Leaders, there are a lot of critics about NC (namely limited useful actions and the civilian ships exploit) and I'll be curious to hear people who had very good games with NC to see what they think of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games I've had with it were a scream. We had every civilian tucked in beside Galactica with almost every Raider coming in on us. Came down to the last move, and we managed to jump safely. One missed step and the raiders would have swept the skies clear.
In the other we had everything off of New Caprica, except mself, in detention. The humans were trying to get me out, on my turn I drew an XO and played it on the Admiral: "Go!" The next two turns were skinjob players so I wanted them out of there. They think they'ld have survived almost anything that could have been thrown at them. "Yeah, 'almost anything'.. GO!" The admiral took my advice.

2 narrow games with LOTS of action at the end? Yeah I'ld call that enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Laporte
France
Limeil-Brevannes
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
Thanks for the reports Gerry.

One quick question: was the "civilian ships exploit" (killing civilian ships and getting the pop up before NC so you don't have to evacuate ships, or only a few) was used in your games?

I'm curious to know if your playgroup used it or not as, to me, it kind of defeats the purpose of NC. That's why I'll probably use Bleached_Lizard's variant if this strategy tends to pop up in every game. However, if this strategy is not a problem and NC is enjoyable as it is, I'll probably leave it that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question: did you save your nukes until the NC phase, and if not, why not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beck
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Felix alearum famis! Et posse impares sumus erimus en tui semper favoris.
badge
Proprietor of The Bored Gaymer, BGG's most popular blog with the words "Bored" and "Gaymer" in the title!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've enjoyed it so far. The scramble to get off the planet with the raiders zooming in...

Haven't really had to deal with the civilian ship exploit yet, so I'm hoping it doesn't really become an issue.

~

The nukes seem to get saved until NC unless there's a serious Cylon threat (as a result of super crises, etc.) that makes things pretty desperate. Saving the nukes until NC is not a bad idea, though, so I think we will start seeing that more often in our games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had as many ships as possible in both games. No killing them early, no no no.

In one game we double nuked over New Caprica and the cylons were suddenly stuck without a fleet. Cavil was NOT in play, and next to nothing would bring a basestar back. On the ground things were in worse shape. That's the one where I was Chief , in detention, and finally ordered the Admiral to "Go".

I won't say we "saved them" for New Caprica, we were all playing BSG-P for the first time. Rather that they were still there. And perhaps the Admiral WAS saving them for that, I don't know. It was beauty havin' em available though.

I firmly believe saving one for NewCap is more or less a neccessity. Pegasus CIC is a pretty good "pocket nuke" though. Sure she doesn't win every time she goes toe-to-toe with a basestar (ie the 1-3 damage Pegasus. You're not shooting yourself, you're just losing THAT fight) but she usually does, especially with some fancy planning, or double action activation.

Bottom line. Fun. GREAT end game. Nothing worse than jumping away from a cylon fleet to distance 8+, and then passing 4 bland crises to jump past Kobol. Give me a romping space battle at the end any time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dirga
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
LNAGary wrote:
One quick question: was the "civilian ships exploit" (killing civilian ships and getting the pop up before NC so you don't have to evacuate ships, or only a few) was used in your games?

How exactly you rise the population (unless it's through preventative policy)? Having very few ships to evacuate is certainly a plus, but you can't destroy them all, since that means losing all population and if you have just a few left, cylons simply rush occupation forces instead of using breeder's canyon.

My own experience with NC is generally very positive, it's a perfect climax for the game, because humans usually arrive there with moral around 3 and desperately fight against time, trying to solve crises which could easily bring them to zero. NCP graduation is quite a crisis then, because they can either delay their departure, or risk depleting the morale completely. I don't remember a game where NC would be completely no fun - and surprisingly, I remember a few, where we expected it's going to be boring (ok guy, we get three out of ten ships to orbit and bye bye, New Caprica) and cylons managed to turn the tables, either winning or at least getting humans to sweat a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franklin Millar
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wolfling wrote:
and cylons managed to turn the tables, either winning or at least getting humans to sweat a lot.

May I ask how?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dirga
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Usually through well timed revealing and crises from breeder's canyon. New Caprica offers a lot of resource-reducing crises and detention effects, where population (and detention) prolongs the game (they can't jump) and morale is usually the killer (in rare cases it's fuel instead).
Key to success for cylons is to rid humans of cards, then it's very hard to defend against crises and they eventually hammer them down.

One not typical but particularly fond memory for me was when I managed to keep my hands on president and even when they could see clearly I'm cylon, they simply didn't have time or resources to even kill me. So I enjoyed myself choosing effects of multiple crises where current player or president had the final word.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Ostrin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mb
Huh, old thread. Well, we just started playing with New Caprica, now that everyone who cares about spoilers has gotten past that point in the show.

I've only played one NC game, but I watched another. Here's how they ended. (I have Exodus too, so we've been playing with the new characters.)

The game I watched
5 players

Admiral Cain reveals before NC, and the admiralcy passes to Gaeta, who's been almost above suspicion, except for one skill check that looks like it could've been sabotaged by him or Chief. Chief's human, so he's been pretty open about his suspicions of Gaeta. Except Gaeta's been so helpful that people aren't ready to execute him.

Of course, once Galactica jumps back, no one's OK with Gaeta being admiral. Chief convinces everyone to brig Gaeta right before Gaeta's turn. Gaeta agrees completely, saying that he wouldn't trust himself either. He hasn't used his OPG yet, but Chief's OK with this, reasoning that Gaeta wouldn't be able to steal back the admiralcy and jump in the same turn.

So, Gaeta starts his turn in the brig. Movement: Critical Situation! Gaeta takes back the admiralcy and jumps the fleet in one fell swoop. Humans lose with exactly 0 population.

Turns out, Gaeta had been holding onto his Critical Situation for the entire game. Masterful.

The game I played
4 players with a CL
Caprica Six (Cylons win, humans have gone 6 distance)
President Baltar
Cally (me)
Admiral Helo

Baltar gets the first turn after sleeper. He realized I'm just going to execute Helo to make sure the admiral's human, so he reveals and saves me the trouble.

Once we get to NC, Six drops all pretense and turns against us. Both humans end up in Detention thanks to Crisis cards. Once Galactica gets back, I execute Helo to get him off NC and out of Detention. He picks Roslin, and I get admiral.

Now, we're at 1 fuel, 2 morale, and ~5 population. We've got 3 civs in space, and maybe 6 on NC. It's Roslin's turn, and mine is next. We've also got a centurion on Galactica that's two spaces from Humans Lose, and both Cylons are on the Cylon locations.

Basically, we need to win on my turn. Roslin and I decide that we really need to get one more civ out, so he comes to NC and evacuates a ship. At that moment, we realize that we've doomed ourselves. Two humans on NC when we jump means -2 morale. Crap.

Well, my turn comes... with Cally's one yellow draw, I pick up Preventative Policy! I play it as my movement to cover 1 morale, and I order Galactica to jump.

We go through the civilian ships one by one... -1 pop.. blank.. -1 pop.. -1 pop.. -1 pop -1 morale! And we lose on morale anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.