Subject: How wild are they? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's always a treat to play Haba games. They are fun, are of very good quality and come in a variety of sizes to suit anyone's finances.

Wild Vikings is part of Haba's Bring along games. These are smaller sized boxes (11.5x18x3.5cms) that are portable.

Promotional Picture from Haba site

The second thing you notice about the game is it's weight. The contents include:

1 Rule book containing 6 languages
1 Die with the following faces. 4 viking ships of different colours; a village and a card
1 Viking Village card
3 Ship cards of differing colour
60 equipment cards
40 jewels

Submitted photo by khaox

The theme of the game is that the Vikings are returning from their latest foray and are loaded with jewels. The players are there to share in the booty but you need to time your actions to get the most jewels as the player who has the most at the end of the game is the winner.

The village card is laid out and the ship cards are randomly placed next to each other, with the first ship placed next to the village.

6 equipment cards are dealt to each player. The equipment cards match the colour and emblem on the ship's sail and are used for bidding for the jewels.

Submitted photo by khaox

Players take turns rolling the die and carrying out the appropriate action

Coloured ship (red, yellow and blue) means place a jewel on the same coloured ship
Black ship means place a jewel on any ship
Card means all players draw a card
Village means the bidding starts for the ship closest to the Village card.

Submitted photo by khaox

When the village is rolled, players may bid cards from their hand, starting with the person who rolled the village, that match the ship closest to the village card. Eg from the picture above would be all players bidding for blue/shield. If a player passes they are out of the bidding for that round. Players bidding must always increase the bid or pass.

The player that wins the bid, takes the jewels from the ship, discards the cards they used to win the bid and places the ship at the end of the line and slides the ships towards the village. All other players return the bid cards to their hand.

The game ends when no more jewels can be placed on a ship.

How wild are they?

Well there are wild cards for bidding and...that's about it. The game handles 2-5 players and is over in 15 minutes. The recommended age is 6 and up but 5 year olds would get the simple concepts. It has exciting tension as the ships build up the booty and introduces children to bidding, albeit with a high random element with the cards.

The artwork is Hagar the Horrible meets the Smurfs and is very cute.

I'd recommend this game for 5-7 year olds as an easy, quick and fun way to introduce bidding or as a quick filler before bed or waiting for your food at a cafe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan James
United States
Covington
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Probably not what I'm looking for in a game at the moment... but this is what I'm looking for in a review! Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks so much! Very helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Jason L. Garner
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I believe that there is a little more to the bidding. You can only display cards once per round. So if your first bid is too low, you can't raise it later. So you have to decide whether you want to just play all the cards you have for that color, and have a sure win. Or...play conservative, with the risk that your bid may not be high enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abalba Abalba
msg tools
Hi, and if I run out of cards? Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fiomtec
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
Watcha looking at?
mbmbmbmbmb
Abalba wrote:
Hi, and if I run out of cards? Thanks in advance

Then you can't bid anymore and have to wait until the dice gives you (and everybody else!) more cards. So don't overbid unless it's justified to do so
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.