Subject: Randomizing turn cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
♫ ♫
Italy
ravenna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about shuffling all turn cards together at the beginning in order to add some RANDOMIZATION to the game, thus helping newbies players.... wow
Bad idea?

Any suggestions for a more random-light Agricola game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bridgham
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how it could be totally random. I couldn't imagine the Sow and/or Bake card not coming out until round 8 - 14. If you want to help the newbies out just deal all the round cards face up on their spaces and use some sort of marker to indicate which ones are currently usable. Everybody will be in the same boat then, knowing what is coming up next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pere
Spain
La Nucia
Alicante
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does randomization help new players? They've got a lot to worry, don't add extra chaos.
In my humble opinion, if you want to ease the game for new players, play the family game (ie. without occupations nor minors). If that is still too tough, give them an extra food so they have 4 food to pay the first harvest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Berlin
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
they are shuffled already partly, are they not?

i think there is a reason to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ ♫
Italy
ravenna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are right

I was just wondering how to introduce some Random factor to the game wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that using the full game, with randomly dealt Occupations and Minor Improvements, gives more than enough randomness. The randomness is on a per-game level, rather than on a per-turn level.

Agricola would not be nearly as good if it were more chaotic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
The grouping of turn cards into stages (but random within each group) was a carefully constructed aspect of the game. Shuffling everything randomly could disrupt the flow of the game, perhaps significantly. I wouldn't advise it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bubslug wrote:
The grouping of turn cards into stages (but random within each group) was a carefully constructed aspect of the game. Shuffling everything randomly could disrupt the flow of the game, perhaps significantly. I wouldn't advise it...

Imagine if both fences ended up as the last two rounds. heheheh. I play 2 player so I don't know if there's a fences action on the 3 or more player cards.

I would like to see a variant that makes it harder for veterans when playing against noobs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Chen
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
I would like to see a variant that makes it harder for veterans when playing against noobs.

Flip a coin. Winner wins the game of Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
Try this variation.

Before turning up a turn card, throw two dice. Calculate the difference between them, which can be anything from 0 to 5. Use this number to count down through the cards and turn up the one you come to. Or to put it another way, if the result is 1, then turn up the top card (as per usual), if 2 then the second card and so on, but still place the card on the next numbered round on the board.

If the number you throw is greater than the number of cards left, then always turn up the top card.

If you throw a 0 (in other words, a double), then DO NOT TURN UP A NEW TURN CARD AT ALL but have an extra round at the same round level. If you have just had a harvest round, you do not have to do the harvest part again.

The last part of this variation, IMO, is great for newbees and others who feel they can't always do everything in the game.

Is this the right amount of randomness you are looking for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ ♫
Italy
ravenna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is FUN laugh I'll try it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let whoever is the last player in turn order choose what card comes up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert C

Ohio
msg tools
We actually did this.
The people I play with are big fans of minors and occupations, and we were looking for a little twist to the basic game with three players.

Our idea: Take all additional left-side action cards, shuffle them, and draw six to be placed. (We had the 4-wood and two clay places which totally changed the game.) We also shuffled all the round cards and placed them one at a time. They were face down so you still knew what may have come up based on the stage. (We knew exactly when renovation/fences was coming out.)
Our problem: Major/minor improvement didn't come out until stage four, resulting in a silly fight for the one food squares and lots of begging cards. (We eventually quit for this reason.)
Our conclusion: Totally workable. We were playing lots of games with no minors or occupations and the games were kinda becoming a set set of moves. (I know the cards changes this, but not everyone was on board.)
The five and four player cards totally change the dynamic, and makes possible scoring and game play ideas very interesting. I would make sure the major/minor comes out in stage one. But other than that, just go with it.
I thought it was kinda fun and different. If everyone has a firm understandign of the game, it might be something to try.
Hope oyu enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tried my dice variation (mentioned in my previous post above) for the first time last night. It worked rather well. Most the rounds were approximately in the same order since the chances of getting 1 or 2 dice difference are quite high. Just before round 14, a double was thrown,giving us an extra round.

The only additional variation I would try to include next time is that,after round 14, you throw the dice again. If you get a double you have yet another round. The game could keep going indefintely until a double is no longer thrown. Then the game would end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.