Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Acin
United States
Coral Gables
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of the 2 games, which one has better gameplay? In terms of cardcount, there's only one clear winner (I leave it up to you to guess that one), but in terms of gameplay, and player involvement, which one is better if I wanted to get into either one today?

Poll
Magic the Gathering
World of Warcraft TCG
      101 answers
Poll created by jcikal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mb

I've played both, and Magic permits you no limit of what sort of angle you wish to approach the game with. Straight attack and defense, deck mining, deck destroying, mana stealing, super mana creation, death dealer deck, lots and lots of 1/1 critter tokens, etc. Wow just doesn't have that.

But, I think WoW would be cheaper to get into and has less strategies to pursue since there's less interpretations of card rules, if only because it doesn't have the long heritage of Magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
evan fitzgerald
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are better games than magic for sure, but you just can't discount the fact that the player base is huge. Because of this the access to games, and different formats win out over anything.

Add in Magic Online and you can get in all the Magic you would ever want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I've played every Magic constructed format known to man, almost qualified for a Pro Tour, and now mostly just play with my wife using precons. Magic is an incredible game that's amazingly flexible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dicorato
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Simple enough.

Magic.

It's been around longer, it's mechanics are well tested by WotC so that nothing truly ruins the game completely (though powerful cards do slip through unnoticed from time to time. See Tarmogoyf) and it's got a huge player base.

I played WoW to see what it was like and it was essentially Magic with the WoW brand stamped on top of it. There are minor differences here and there, but essentially it's Magic.

Magic is the better game and the only reason I would ever suggest WoW over Magic is if you just really like the WoW theme, setting, and so on and so forth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd vote neither but that wasn't the request of the OP. There are so many reasons why both of these games miss the mark, in my experience. Still, if you had to be forced to play one of these two games, I'd go with Magic, I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Phénix
Canada
Laval
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WoW has several problems that are not present in Magic. Perhaps these problems were fixed since it's been a while I played, but I saw these problems with the 4 sets out.

1) The game is less flexible than Magic, you select a class and you can only select some cards from that class and not the others. In Magic, you can play a 5 color deck if you want, probably not wise but doable. While you have a alliance and a horde side so you have a important pool of cards, the most interesting cards were always the class specific ones and you are severely restricted in how you can mix and match them.

2) The player who goes first has a very important advantage that is definitively worth a lot more than the extra card awarded to the second player. It boils down to the fact that in WoW, it's the attacker who decides the targets so the first player calls all the shot when it comes to remove the defense you are building. In Magic, when you are not ready to take on his attacker(s), you simply "let the attack pass" and get ready for the next turn hopefully.

3) The equipments were getting out of hand. It basically boiled down that most of the great equipment cards had a very low cost to play them and the cards to remove them simply costed too much to remove them, even in class like Warrior that was supposed to deal with equipments easily. The equipments allowed you to become almost unstoppable, even cards that were designed to stall a solo attacker were not too much effective in stopping that strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
King Frost wrote:
WoW has several problems that are not present in Magic. Perhaps these problems were fixed since it's been a while I played, but I saw these problems with the 4 sets out.

1) The game is less flexible than Magic, you select a class and you can only select some cards from that class and not the others. In Magic, you can play a 5 color deck if you want, probably not wise but doable. While you have a alliance and a horde side so you have a important pool of cards, the most interesting cards were always the class specific ones and you are severely restricted in how you can mix and match them.

I don't know much about WoW although I played it a few times with a buddy. But the latest Magic sets allow you to play multi-color much easier with greater ease (except against land destruction decks.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Orr
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
I hunger!!!
badge
Galactus wants to know if you have been Naughty or Nice
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Magic wins in most matchups vs WoW... especially when you throw in that Magic Online gives you fairly easy access. I will offer that the WoW "Raid" environment is pretty cool to play, but does not have extended replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Wizards has realized that they have gone way too far with the multicolored theme when half the decks in the standard environment play all 5 colors with ease. When a deck can play cards that cost UUBBBRR, 3WW, 3UU, 2RW, 3BRG at the same time, you know they've gone too far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive played both games and my vote is for Magic.

The early days of WoW TCG were horrible. You basically had basic, common 1-cost allies that were super strong. They had stats comparable to rares in Magic. Why were small, low-cost allies too strong? Let's go over the facts:

- 2/1 (2 attack, 1 health) allies were extremely common, until recently, 2/1 was a RARE in MtG

- Health in MtG regenerates, meaning if you don't kill his 7/7 creature in MtG, it'll heal back to 7 on his next turn. In WoW, damage STAYS! Now this really hurts those big creatures. However... it doesn't mean jack to those 1 hp guys!

- You can choose who to attack in WoW TCG. In MtG, you couldn't go past the big guy if he's defending. In WoW TCG, the big guy has to have protection, otherwise, your opponent can completely ignore your allies and attack you directly.

- You can attack multiple times in WoW TCG. This obviously benefits those with more allies, which is more likely than not, they guy with cheaper costing allies.

The combination of thes factors made low-cost guys too strong. Theres cards that further reinforce this, such as the quest: Defias Brotherhood, which lets you draw 2 cards with a payment of 1 when you have 4 or more allies! That's amazing when it costs 3 to draw a card for a normal quest.

But anyway, another problem with WoW TCG is that you just don't get much for a booster. In MtG, you only have 5 colors to worry about. Chances are you have 2 colors in your deck anyway. In a 15 card booster, chances are, you'll get 5-6 cards for your deck. In WoW TCG, you are stuck with ONE class, meaning 9/10 of the ability cards you open from a booster will be completely useless, as well as 1/2 of the allies you draw.

But I'd rather not invest in these games. You could buy theme decks, but most likely you'll end up wanting to make your own decks. And when you do that, your opponents will want to do that, until someone makes something really cheap and then everyone will want to gun that person down.

I don't consider TCGs to be strategic. I just see them as games of controlled probability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B. Hansen
Denmark
Odense N
flag msg tools
badge
"duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck" Ralph Wiggum .....
mbmbmbmbmb
I would find an approach to the game that soften the "collectible" aspect as much as possible.

I would buy a box of boosters, of a basic set, and then play landless. Drafting from the cards i bought.. in effect forming a cube.
In fact, i already did this. I chose Magic fwiiw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Magic: the One to Rule Them All! sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lui
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
World of Warcraft is a fine game. The game is well-balanced for both Limited and Constructed play.

It allows a player to play his/her way out of a bad situation by playing any card as a resource (essentially, a land), mitigating the effects of an unlucky draw.

It has multiple combat phases-- essentially, every attack is a separate attack, adding to more decision-making around creature/Ally combat.

There was, and is, a play-first problem which has plagued the game from the beginning. Some cards have been printed to balance that, but the fact that the first player has a distinct match-up advantage points to at least some flaws in the game engine.

All of the archetypes mentioned by the first respondent are available in WoW.

It also has more "humorous" cards-- there is actually a tournament-legal card that deals damage in half-point increments, characters that have payment powers requiring the player to say a phrase ("Leeeeeeeerooyyy Jenkins!", etc.). Whether this is a pro or con is up to individual tastes, but the cards are still balanced and tested for competitive play.

I would hotly contest that Magic is a fundamentally better game. They both have their merits, and for my money, WoW is a better, more entertaining investment overall. (I happen to play both casually.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both, and have sunk a lot of money into both. The truth is if you play WOW it will be hard for you to keep finding people to play with. The best aspect of WOW is playing it like a co-op game. To do that you buy the raid decks and pit 4 or 5 of your buddies against someone playing the raid deck. It almost feels like a board game when you play this way and it can be a blast! The thing is, to get a decent deck you need to buy a lot of cards, because as it has been stated here many times, only a few cards can be used with each class type. I had enough cards that I didn't need to get all my friends into it, we just all built decks with my cards.

Magic is only really a giant money sink if you are into either collecting or playing competitively (and even that you can do in some formats with out too much money). Every FLGS I know of has MtG players who are down to duel any time, and usually whole nights are devoted to it. If you just want a lot of cards at first for cheap check out CoolStuffInc.com. They have things called "Instant Super Collections" for like $20 and have some rares included. They also have a deal where for $50 you can get 4000 cards. Mostly commons and some uncommons. The point is though, it will be more than enough to get the basics down and get your friends involved.

WoW was a lot of fun for me. I got into it for the theme cause I like the MMO, but in the end I just couldn't find enough people to play with. Magic has pretty much everything that WOW has and a lot more, plus the addition of a huge fan base. Go with Magic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Binipped wrote:
If you just want a lot of cards at first for cheap check out CoolStuffInc.com. They have things called "Instant Super Collections" for like $20 and have some rares included. They also have a deal where for $50 you can get 4000 cards. Mostly commons and some uncommons.

I've bought the Instant Super Collection and was very disappointed. Unless you want a lot of useless cards and 20 of the same card sometimes, you probably should avoid it. The 1000 Commons and Uncommons is a much better selection of cards. You'll have to buy lands separately, but it's probably a better deal.

Also, when I went to buy the 4000 card lot, they supposively had 10+ available according to the website, but when I went there, they didn't have any. So beware of that too. I don't know if that's ever been fixed.

And although I had a negative experience regarding the Magic collections, I have used them a lot for board game purchases and have been very happy with every purchase of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Phénix
Canada
Laval
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Revelade wrote:
I don't consider TCGs to be strategic. I just see them as games of controlled probability.

You are right and this is true for almost all card games, including highly rated card games like Race for the Galaxy and Dominion. It's a basic feature of card games, some people love, some don't.

ericlui wrote:
World of Warcraft is a fine game. The game is well-balanced for both Limited and Constructed play.

It allows a player to play his/her way out of a bad situation by playing any card as a resource (essentially, a land), mitigating the effects of an unlucky draw.

It has multiple combat phases-- essentially, every attack is a separate attack, adding to more decision-making around creature/Ally combat.

All of this is true but in the end, the disadvantages of WoW far outweigh its advantages against Magic IMHO. If you are looking for the advantages of WoW and then some (drawing card anytime for 3? Yes! Improved mulligan rules? Sure!) over Magic without any additional problems, take a look at The Spoils.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, The Spoils. I absolutely love that game. I still have many decks. If only I had people to play it with :(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.